Potato chips are now fine dining!

PMT51

19 hours ago, PMT51 said:

Just off the Constellation. We did a Petit Chef speciality dining. The menu was seafood based. 

I was gobsmacked when the lobster was presented, covered in slightly crushed generic potato chips. 

Yes, really, slighty crushed potato chips. Just like what is left towards the bottom of the big bag of plain generic chips that you buy at any grocery store.

There was nothing else on the plate, just this small cut open lobster lobster covered in slightly crushed potato chips.

I don't mind it when my work cafetaria serves potato chips as a side to my $8.00 sandwich, but as a garnish to a $60+ meal? Is this fine dining now? 

I complained about this and got the usual "we are so sorry" and "the recipes are set by corporate, we have to follow them."

Personally, if I had guests over for supper (not counting BBQ or casual) I would never serve potato chips as the side. Am I that old fashion and out of touch with what is considered fine dining today?

I don’t mind generic brands but as a premium line I’d expect at least Lays or Utz with lobster.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

With the current price of potato chips, on the high side of $6 a bag here, it could now be classified as fine dining.

If they are Snyder of Berlin BBQ, now that is fine dining!!

57 minutes ago, Liao said:

I don’t mind generic brands but as a premium line I’d expect at least Lays or Utz with lobster.

I'm curious as to how they know they were generic chips. I've never seen the brand stamped on the chips, and I've never had bags brought out with plates.

• Like 4

I grew up in New England and we always had lobster, corn on the cob and Wise potato chips.  I still have those as sides.  I ate at LPC on the Constellation last month and the lobster was delicious!

3 hours ago, Stem to Stern said:

Our go-to potato chips are Utz Honey Barbeque.

Are they even better than the Utz Lobster Chips? 😄

image.png.9807d49543e4d3fee23ca8f712b8aadf.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, riredsox said:

I grew up in New England and we always had lobster, corn on the cob and Wise potato chips.  I still have those as sides.  I ate at LPC on the Constellation last month and the lobster was delicious!

I did not think the word "lobster" and "delicious" would be mentioned together on a Celebrity ship, never mind from someone who grew up in New England. When I get the lobster, I ask for the melted butter and the lobster tail takes a bath in the butter. 😶

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

When you're on hold with Celebrity, you'll hear the embellishment "We have the best photographers in the world" yet X doesn't dare try to say they have "fine dining"

Celebrity has photographers?  Last cruise I saw zero photographers ...

The point everyone is missing here is that it is a warm water lobster and not a Maine lobster.  Perhaps part of the reasoning for additional flavoring...

Edited by NMTraveller