Potato chips are now fine dining!

PMT51

Just off the Constellation. We did a Petit Chef speciality dining. The menu was seafood based. 

I was gobsmacked when the lobster was presented, covered in slightly crushed generic potato chips. 

Yes, really, slighty crushed potato chips. Just like what is left towards the bottom of the big bag of plain generic chips that you buy at any grocery store.

There was nothing else on the plate, just this small cut open lobster lobster covered in slightly crushed potato chips.

I don't mind it when my work cafetaria serves potato chips as a side to my $8.00 sandwich, but as a garnish to a $60+ meal? Is this fine dining now? 

I complained about this and got the usual "we are so sorry" and "the recipes are set by corporate, we have to follow them."

Personally, if I had guests over for supper (not counting BBQ or casual) I would never serve potato chips as the side. Am I that old fashion and out of touch with what is considered fine dining today?

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, PMT51 said:

Just off the Constellation. We did a Petit Chef speciality dining. The menu was seafood based. 

I was gobsmacked when the lobster was presented, covered in slightly crushed generic potato chips. 

Yes, really, slighty crushed potato chips. Just like what is left towards the bottom of the big bag of plain generic chips that you buy at any grocery store.

There was nothing else on the plate, just this small cut open lobster lobster covered in slightly crushed potato chips.

I don't mind it when my work cafetaria serves potato chips as a side to my $8.00 sandwich, but as a garnish to a $60+ meal? Is this fine dining now? 

I complained about this and got the usual "we are so sorry" and "the recipes are set by corporate, we have to follow them."

Personally, if I had guests over for supper (not counting BBQ or casual) I would never serve potato chips as the side. Am I that old fashion and out of touch with what is considered fine dining today?

You didn't take a pic? Terrible!

Have a couple 4 star restaurants nearby.  Both using potato chips as a garnish on Mac and Lobster andcother dishes instead of panko or breadcrumbs. Guess it is the new gourmet.

I agree a bit strange, but that is what it is.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

With lobster, I think Humpty Dumpty would be more appropriate.

Humpty Dumpty has been bought by Old Dutch 

Walmart no name ripple chips as some best on the market , nice and light and not greasy 😁

I would pass on the larger shrimp on. Celebrity 😉

Edited by Ex-Airbalancer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, PMT51 said:

I don’t think they were intended to be a side.  Potato chips, corn flakes, bread crumbs are used as breading, or topping in some dishes.  DH has had Lobster Mac and Cheese with crushed chips on top at some very

expensive restaurants in the past year or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, PMT51 said:

Personally, if I had guests over for supper (not counting BBQ or casual) I would never serveto the r  potato chips as the side. Am I that old fashion and out of touch with what is considered fine dining today?

You don't say anything about taste. Did the generic potato pieces add flavor to the lobster?

Le Petit Chef is far from fine dining, but chips on lobster is pretty common. They have served it this way since at least 2019, maybe even before that. I can't remember when Qsine went away. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Le Petit Chef is far from fine dining, but chips on lobster is pretty common. They have served it this way since at least 2019, maybe even before that. I can't remember when Qsine went away. 

DH and I ate in Le Petit Chef pre-covid and said once was enough.  Recently spent 21 days on the Constellation over Christmas & NYE.  Had lobster several times in Luminae and no way did it come with chips bits, cracker bits or anything else-bits.  If it had, I would have immediately sent it back to the kitchen.  Same ship, different kitchens?

1 hour ago, SusieAV8R said:

Had lobster several times in Luminae and no way did it come with chips bits, cracker bits or anything else-bits.

There are a thousand ways to prepare lobster.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SusieAV8R said:

DH and I ate in Le Petit Chef pre-covid and said once was enough.  Recently spent 21 days on the Constellation over Christmas & NYE.  Had lobster several times in Luminae and no way did it come with chips bits, cracker bits or anything else-bits.  If it had, I would have immediately sent it back to the kitchen.  Same ship, different kitchens?

It’s been served this way for years in Le Petit Chef. I don’t eat it but I’ve never been offended by the thought of it. I could have sworn they also use similar bits on one of the beef dishes in Luminae. The chili short rib maybe? I’m certain I had them a few weeks ago. 

lepetit-chef-menu.jpg

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

It’s been served this way for years in Le Petit Chef. I don’t eat it but I’ve never been offended by the thought of it. I could have sworn they also use similar bits on one of the beef dishes in Luminae. The chili short rib maybe? I’m certain I had them a few weeks ago. 

lepetit-chef-menu.jpg

That actually looks a lot better than most of the lobster I see pictured here.

I always find the "fine dining" thing humorous on a number of levels. For one thing, I'm not sure I'd classify anything on a cruise ship that I've been on as "fine dining". Maybe I just haven't cruised those lines. And secondly, so much of what is called fine dining out there is a modification of a (mostly) French technique to turn a near inedible source of protein into something you could digest. Bœuf bourguignon sounds really cool, but it's basically cooking the crap out of some form of tough beef in wine until you make if fall apart. Panko is just a fancy name for bread crumbs, although made from a different style of bread. Maybe they should just say lobster with chips de pommes de terre. Problem solved. If it tastes good, who really cares.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

With the current price of potato chips, on the high side of $6 a bag here, it could now be classified as fine dining.

Potato chips just went up to $2.99 recently, it had been $1.99 for years. The weight is down to 8.5 ounces. Still not fine dining in my book.

This is in Phoenix.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Have a couple 4 star restaurants nearby.  Both using potato chips as a garnish on Mac and Lobster andcother dishes instead of panko or breadcrumbs. Guess it is the new gourmet.

I agree a bit strange, but that is what it is.

The "new normal" due to covid and the supply chain? 😆

Edited by ChucktownSteve

12 hours ago, keesar said:

Next there will be a complaint about having bread crumbs on top of fish!  And whipping cream on top of desserts!  

🤣🤣🤣👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿 the OP never indicated if they were refunded or not, as well... LOL

bon appetit

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

To me using potato chips is just another way of adding crunch, similar to breadcrumbs. I know Capital Grille uses potato chips on their au gratin potato side dish and I’ve always enjoyed it 🤷🏼‍♀️

Methinks that there are some passengers whose closest brush with 'Fine Dining' is on a cruise ship. I Am sure there are more than a few who would never spend the money for a Capital Grille experience... LOL Yet, thank you for sharing the experience.

Can you imagine the 🙄 I from Chef's when I arrive to the Fine Dining Steak House as a vegan??? LOL

Now, that is worthy of a Fine Dining experience and cost... LOL But as long as my guests are enjoying their meals, that is what matters most to me.

bon appetit and bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953