Quantum of the Seas - What NOT to miss?

Hi All-

We're a group of ten taking an Alaskan cruise on Quantum this summer out of Seattle.  What features of the ship should we not miss?  I'm familiar with Oasis class more than any other, so I'm looking for some advice on Quantum. The others in the group have either not been on a cruise, or been on only one several years ago, so I'm trying to help them as much as I can to really enjoy this one.

• I have no idea what shows they will have on this July's sailing. Any ideas?
  • I see there's a Café Promenade where I can grab some early morning pre-breakfast coffee & tea and pastries.  What are its hours of operation?
  • Looks like Cafe @ 270 is another option for breakfast, again when is it open? 
  • What other grab-n-go eateries are there?  I liked the hot dog stand on Wonder & Oasis, anything like that on Quantum?
  • I believe the walking track is up on deck 15 with lounge chairs alongside?  Is there anywhere else to walk where we wouldn't have to deal with loungers and people walking around looking at their phones and not watching for other using the track?  We did this on the Mariner, I think we walked around the deck where they had the lifeboats hanging.  Is there such a place on Quantum?
  • We have a Junior Suite, so we will spend most of our lounging time there, but where else may we find some quiet chairs to take in any available sun and read & relax?
  • Anyone have an idea when the North Star may be back in service?

Thanks all!

25 minutes ago, LEMJMcC said:

I have no idea what shows they will have on this July's sailing. Any ideas?

In May, once the first sailing to Alaska is available in the app, look there for what to expect.

All dining venues operating hours should also be listed in the app.

If NorthStar bookings are available in the app. assume it's operating.

• Like 1

On the first night (typically) is a demonstration of the Two70° venue usually in the evening.  It's held only once per cruise and it showcases everything the venue can do.  Pretty cool tech.  

Don't miss THE BOAT!!!

Coffee started at 6 or 630a at the Café Promenade. There will be a short line waiting.......

Remember, some people from the east coast will be up a 3am.

The good coffee place across from that opens about an hour later.

Go whale watching in Sitka if you stop there

Pass on the Wonderland Spec restaurant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, ah33919 said:

Out of curiosity Is it just bad, or just not your thing?

e.g. you could go to a show where the actors forget their lines and the audio system crackles constantly, and that is bad by any measure.  vs. say, a show where the content just doesn't resonate (Cirque de Soleil comes to mind, some people just don't get it)

12 minutes ago, irun5k said:

e.g. you could go to a show where the actors forget their lines and the audio system crackles constantly, and that is bad by any measure.  vs. say, a show where the content just doesn't resonate (Cirque de Soleil comes to mind, some people just don't get it)

We did Wonderland on Wonder of the Seas and enjoyed it so much we went back a second time.  We did have the unlimited dining plan for that cruise, though.  We found the food pretty durn good and the experience a lot of fun, of course our waiter made it great both times!

1 hour ago, ah33919 said:

Don't miss THE BOAT!!!

Coffee started at 6 or 630a at the Café Promenade. There will be a short line waiting.......

Remember, some people from the east coast will be up a 3am.

The good coffee place across from that opens about an hour later.

Go whale watching in Sitka if you stop there

We are from the east coast and I'm an early riser anyway, usually at work by 5:30 AM; so what can I get around 4:00 AM after my morning workout?  We're whale-watching out of Juneau and railroading and biking in Skagway.  Nothing planned for Sitka, just planning to maybe do some hiking.

1 hour ago, twangster said:

On the first night (typically) is a demonstration of the Two70° venue usually in the evening.  It's held only once per cruise and it showcases everything the venue can do.  Pretty cool tech.  

Definitely won't want to miss this.  Thanks.

• Like 1

OP, please make sure that everyone in your travel group of 10 does the online check-in completely.  If anything of consequence is missing (emergency contact phone #, country of birth, country of residence, credit card #) then expect that person to be sent to a counter agent.  

The Quantum will be the only ship at Pier 91, but expect it to be quite full (4900+ full).  Not only are all the Alaska ships sailing full, but your sailing is over the 4th of July holiday, so lots of folks will be sailing.

It looks like you are a veteran cruiser, but make sure that everyone has the needed travel documents (passport or gov't issued birth certificate), and anyone 16 yrs or older needs a photo ID.

Expect long lines, but it should go quickly.  There are no amenities at Pier 91, so take the time to have breakfast, maybe bring a water bottle if it is a warm day (the outside line up area is under cover).  There are two single use restrooms at the front of the terminal building.

Enjoy your cruise!

2 hours ago, irun5k said:

Wonderland on Quantum Class is a neglected stepchild. Very small, seating way to close together, no windows, single story. no bar or lounge area that you find on Oasis Class. We have done several Wonderland dinners on Oasis Class, on Quantum and Ovation we walked in laughed and walked out. To the OP, there is a dog house across from the bumper cars and the Buffett in the Solarium is very nice. Vintages was our go to bar on Quantum and Ovation.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, twangster said:

Ooooo this does sound interesting.  I haven't seen it in the app yet (sailing end of May).  How do we find out/sign up for this? 

1 hour ago, pajara2 said:

Ooooo this does sound interesting.  I haven't seen it in the app yet (sailing end of May).  How do we find out/sign up for this? 

Used to be called "The Two70 Experience".  Maybe they aren't doing it anymore, seems like there is now often a Two70 production show on night one.   

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 2:02 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Wonderland on Quantum Class is a neglected stepchild. Very small, seating way to close together, no windows, single story. no bar or lounge area that you find on Oasis Class. We have done several Wonderland dinners on Oasis Class, on Quantum and Ovation we walked in laughed and walked out.

Wonderland on the Quantum class is the original Wonderland.  If you go for the windows and the staircase, them by all means, skip it.  

On 3/8/2024 at 12:28 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

OP, please make sure that everyone in your travel group of 10 does the online check-in completely.  If anything of consequence is missing (emergency contact phone #, country of birth, country of residence, credit card #) then expect that person to be sent to a counter agent.  

The Quantum will be the only ship at Pier 91, but expect it to be quite full (4900+ full).  Not only are all the Alaska ships sailing full, but your sailing is over the 4th of July holiday, so lots of folks will be sailing.

It looks like you are a veteran cruiser, but make sure that everyone has the needed travel documents (passport or gov't issued birth certificate), and anyone 16 yrs or older needs a photo ID.

Expect long lines, but it should go quickly.  There are no amenities at Pier 91, so take the time to have breakfast, maybe bring a water bottle if it is a warm day (the outside line up area is under cover).  There are two single use restrooms at the front of the terminal building.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the info, this is most helpful!  

On 3/8/2024 at 2:02 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Wonderland on Quantum Class is a neglected stepchild. Very small, seating way to close together, no windows, single story. no bar or lounge area that you find on Oasis Class. We have done several Wonderland dinners on Oasis Class, on Quantum and Ovation we walked in laughed and walked out. To the OP, there is a dog house across from the bumper cars and the Buffett in the Solarium is very nice. Vintages was our go to bar on Quantum and Ovation.  

Thanks for the insight, we may take a look before we recommend it to the others in our party.

Can anyone tell me the approximate costs of some of the additional activities onboard?  I was reading in the reviews that many of the activities are extra cost.   I was wondering, like i-Fly, bumper cars etc?   Are all those extra fee?

29 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

Can anyone tell me the approximate costs of some of the additional activities onboard?  I was reading in the reviews that many of the activities are extra cost.   I was wondering, like i-Fly, bumper cars etc?   Are all those extra fee?

Bumper cars are free. I-fly was but don't know now.  Sometimes there's a charge for something added, like a specific lesson. The app should tell you.

Bumper cars are a family favorite.  My family is 40-75 in age, so I would absolutely recommend them even if you don't have young kids with you.  270 is one of my favorite places, and we often go there for breakfast and to steal pound cake and keep it in our rooms.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, celoplyr said:

Bumper cars are a family favorite.  My family is 40-75 in age, so I would absolutely recommend them even if you don't have young kids with you.  270 is one of my favorite places, and we often go there for breakfast and to steal pound cake and keep it in our rooms.

Agree. Love 270!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rnr4thatsme said:

like i-Fly,

Ripcord has both a free and paid version. The free one can usually only be booked on board - do it quickly before they sell out. 

• Like 1