Sun Princess

37 minutes ago, TRLD said:

For the Tram the bottleneck will be mostly other passengers for all of the ships in port.  The crew would make up a relatively small percentage.  Probably less than 5% compared to the mass of passengers.  The biggest problem will be on the return, since a number of passengers from all of the ships will take excursions, that usually leave from the other port where buses can get to the port.  However almost all return through the tram location.  That makes the afternoon return going down much more crowded then the arrival going up.  

Last time I was there in October (4 ships in port) maybe 12,000 total the line in the afternoon was out the building and down the street a block or so.  The crew would most likely not be in that line since they have shift that they need to return for and must be onboard a half hour earlier.  Fortunately on that day I was on a 50 passenger ship that arrived at 3pm when the passengers for the big ships was leaving town and the upward tram was empty.  We left at 11pm and our tram down was also empty.  Santorini during the day with large ships is extremely crowded.  After those ships leave it is wonderful.

The sun will be leaving at 10 so maybe that will help us out.

29 minutes ago, Globaler said:

The sun will be leaving at 10 so maybe that will help us out.

That should work well, most leave around 4-6 so you should have an excellent evening in Santorini

• Like 1

In Santorini, the Sun must use the port's tenders. They were not allowed to use the ships "lifeboats".  We got a late start due to it being the first time the Sun was in port and there were delays with the city not Princesses fault. It took a several hours for everyone to get off the ship once the tenders started running. I mention this as a couple had rented a car and ended up using the stairs to get up to it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, merryjewelhound said:

In Santorini, the Sun must use the port's tenders. They were not allowed to use the ships "lifeboats".  We got a late start due to it being the first time the Sun was in port and there were delays with the city not Princesses fault. It took a several hours for everyone to get off the ship once the tenders started running. I mention this as a couple had rented a car and ended up using the stairs to get up to it.

Yep Santorini controls things very tightly. Even as a 50 passenger ship we had to use a port tender and had an exact time for arrival and departure.

12 hours ago, StevenW said:

We'll be in Santorini on 11th June, and are 1 of 5 ships there that day!, with a combined maximum passenger total of 15,182 (+crew on their breaks?). Yikes! 🥹

Hopefully with such a bottleneck, crew are banned from going ashore in that port.

Where can I check this? We’ll be there on August 13th

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pixelskaya said:

Here's the link @Pixelskaya

Santorini Cruise Ship Schedule 13 August 2024 | Santorini Cruise Port Schedule 13 August 2024 (cruisetimetables.com)

In with us will be:

MSC Divina (3,502 pax)

Odyssey of the Seas  (4,198 pax)

Silversea Silver Whisper (388 pax)

Unfortunately Silver Whisper leaves at 10 pm (as does the Sun) and OOTS an hour after us, so I wouldn't risk taking the gondola later than 8 pm.

We've been to Santorini loads of times. The walk up is fun (just 588 steps to the top). Walking down takes about 30-40 minutes, but don't wear nice/new trainers!!!!

Last year we had quite a queue for the gondola (at least an hour!) as there 3 other ships in. We should have waited later into the early evening as our ship was leaving much later than the others.

See you on board perhaps!

Edited by Esprit
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pixelskaya said:

You can go to cruisemapper.com and at the top select ports and search port and your dates.

Edited by Globaler

1 hour ago, ISABELLA said:

Can someone confirm if there are beverage (water, tea, regular coffee, ice tea, juice, etc) stations in eatery or other places around the ship.

Thanks.

Yes, there is all of the above (not sure if juice is only breakfast or all day) at Eatery that are in containers. I asked a waiter today and he said that I could help myself. Also the waiter will bring the above to your table as on other cruises.

Also available at breakfast in the dining room and at dinner (lunch on sea days) as on other ships. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, merryjewelhound said:

Yes, there is all of the above (not sure if juice is only breakfast or all day) at Eatery that are in containers. I asked a waiter today and he said that I could help myself. Also the waiter will bring the above to your table as on other cruises.

Also available at breakfast in the dining room and at dinner (lunch on sea days) as on other ships. 

Thank you for reporting.   

Also, can somebody confirm if we are allowed to bring wine and water on board. I like Moscato wine and some cruiselines/ ships don't carry it anymore.

Posted (edited)

We also like a good Moscato....  Do you have a specific favorite or two?  Or just one's that are found on almost any wine aisle?

It would be interesting to know what the Moscato is that is showing on the wine lists!

If anybody happens to be able to get that info.

I know, quite some time ago..  it was cheap and not-so-good!!!  But, hopefully that has improved a bit.

We do bring our own... Each person can bring on a bottle...  Supposed to be for enjoyment in your stateroom. If you wish to have this at supper, there is a corkage fee.   Each bottle over the allowed per person would automatically be subject to the corkage fee.

Edited by Wishing on a star

27 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

We also like a good Moscato....  Do you have a specific favorite or two?  Or just one's that are found on almost any wine aisle?

It would be interesting to know what the Moscato is that is showing on the wine lists!

This is the Main Dining Room Wine List that has been shared.  Sorry don't drink wine so cannot answer directly.  Sun-Princess-Main-Dining-Room-Wine-List.pdf

• Thanks 2

There is a corkage fee in the DR if you bring a bottle. If you carry just a filled glass there is no charge. We just get a couple of large glasses at any bar on the way back to the room to get dressed & fill them to the brim. 

4 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I know, quite some time ago..  it was cheap and not-so-good!!!  But, hopefully that has improved a bit.

We do bring our own... Each person can bring on a bottle...  Supposed to be for enjoyment in your stateroom. If you wish to have this at supper, there is a corkage fee.   Each bottle over the allowed per person would automatically be subject to the corkage fee.

Our taste is simple. We enjoy Cupcake Moscato d'asti. And anything similar. On our last 2 cruises on Celebrity, they didn't offer any Moscato. That is why I want to bring my own.

• Like 1

We are up at 0500 for a shore excursion at 0730. Hubby went to Eatery and got coffee and it was tepid. Then went to International Cafe and got brewed it was free till 0600(?).  Nothing I write is fact only what we observed.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, merryjewelhound said:

We are up at 0500 for a shore excursion at 0730. Hubby went to Eatery and got coffee and it was tepid. Then went to International Cafe and got brewed it was free till 0600(?).  Nothing I write is fact only what we observed.

Correct. Regular coffee is complimentary in the International Cafe from midnight to 6am. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't recall there ever being ice machines available on Princess, but I am quite the ice user and never had trouble obtaining ice.  I always ask the cabin steward to leave ice (usually brings fresh ice at each housekeeping visit). I have also asked room service (they bring a very large bucket!),  or I have even taken my little ice bucket to any bar/lounge.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2024 at 7:07 AM, LAS!!1414 said:

Eatery Questions ;

Is Oatmeal available for breakfast ??

Are Soups available for lunch/dinner ??

Thanks

Jerry

I haven’t sailed on the Sun yet but on my other Princess cruises I have always found Oatmeal and soups in the buffet. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, valdean said:

I don't recall there ever being ice machines available on Princess, but I am quite the ice user and never had trouble obtaining ice.  I always ask the cabin steward to leave ice (usually brings fresh ice at each housekeeping visit). I have also asked room service (they bring a very large bucket!),  or I have even taken my little ice bucket to any bar/lounge.

They’re usually in the beverage centers at the buffet, next to the ice water dispenser. Given the lack of self serve beverages being reported on the Sun they may be few and far between.