World Cruise segment 2024 Auckland to Perth

History&Wine

World Cruise continues! 

We were favored with calm seas and a clear sky as Serenity approached New Zealand.  The captain turned off most of the ship lights so we could see the Milky Way from deck 13.  Of course, there was also the Southern Cross…so iconic that it is featured on the flags of both New Zealand and Australia. And it is the inspiration for the hit song from Crosby Stills and Nash.

The Auckland Hilton hotel has spacious verandahs that overlook the harbor at Auckland.  I mention this because the Serenity docked adjacent to that hotel.  So if one has a starboard veranda room, the view here is of a veranda room at the hotel, and vice versa.

New Zealand is one of my favorite countries, and Auckland one of my favorite cities.  So friendly, safe, diverse and beautiful!  There is just a great Vibe here.  The pedestrian friendly walkways are ultra wide.  The weather was perfect with low humidity. I walked walked walked and bused all over the city.  A fellow traveler told me that she logged over 28,000 steps on her smart watch.  I’m guessing I achieved a mere 25,000 steps.  😎  I dashed into a McDonald’s to price a Big Mac…8.5 NZ$.  Then I realized I had no idea what the price would be in the States.   I had lunch at a great Vietnamese restaurant.   Many Asian restaurants here.

On the second day I got out early to catch the ferry to Waiheke (say wai-heh-kee) Island.  The ferry was packed with people seeking a taste of the slower paced island life and beaches.   I elected to walk the one or two km into town.  This is a tourist town with the usual island shops and restaurants.  I then took the local bus to two wineries and a quick lunch before viewing the beautiful beach.   I also happened upon an open house for a small cottage.  100 square meters, two small bedrooms, one bath.   Expected to sell at auction for 1 to 1.5 million NZ$.  Life is expensive here.  

Tonight the Serenity sails for Tauranga.

Dwight
  • Like 13

43 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

FYI, 8.50 NZ$ is 5.25 US$. The Big Mac price varies around the US, so not sure how that compares.

Patty

I had no idea. Of course I have not bought A Big Mac since the 1970's.  Think it was cheaper back then.  This might make a good trivia question. What states has the lowest cost for a Big Mac? Answer North Carolina and Wyoming and the state with the highest is Massachusetts at $7.09.  Average looks in the $4.75 to $5.00 range.

Keith

• Like 4

Dwight, keep enjoying!

I loved your very quick trip into a McDonald’s. I’m so happy to see this thread, which looks like it’ll be a wonderful one.

Thank you to Terry for posting Reflections, Patty for checking the exchange rate, and Keith for pricing a Big Mac. And Dwight, for taking us along!

• Like 5

Somehow the discussion of Big Mac on a Crystal board seems a little weird compared to all the great food discussed and shown.

I remember when the Big Mac came out - the ad was a Big Mac, large fries and a large soda and change back from your 1 dollar. 

• Like 4

A huge thank you, Dwight, for continuing this great coverage of WC 2024. 

I relived our 2014 Symphony cruise from Papeete to Auckland on Terry’s thread. Back then, we spent one night in an Auckland hotel, then boarded Celebrity for 18 nights to Perth. Now I get to relive that itinerary adventure as well through this thread. 👍

I couldn’t agree more on your love of New Zealand. It’s truly a magical place and country. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ctjon said:

Somehow the discussion of Big Mac on a Crystal board seems a little weird compared to all the great food discussed and shown.

I remember when the Big Mac came out - the ad was a Big Mac, large fries and a large soda and change back from your 1 dollar. 

I have an idea that it's just a very small segment of Crystal cruisers who eat anywhere close to the quality and variety in real life as they do on the ship!

Patty

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

I have an idea that it's just a very small segment of Crystal cruisers who eat anywhere close to the quality and variety in real life as they do on the ship!

Patty

You mean you don’t have vichyssoise every day, Patty?! 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dwight,

If I recall you were on the Mt Cook overland adventure with us? The experience of landing up hill on a glacier is one I will never for get.    Such an amazing adventure.   Do you have any overlands this time?  

IMG_1371.JPG

• Like 3

Thank you, Dwight, for continuing the WC journey. It does take time, effort and concentration to post impressions, menus and Reflections. It is most appreciated. Hopefully, you will enlist the assistance of other CC world cruisers during this segment, as well as the remaining upcoming segments on your way back to Miami.

Again, thank you for allowing us to travel vicariously with you!

Rob

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, BEAV said:

A huge thank you, Dwight, for continuing this great coverage of WC 2024. 

I relived our 2014 Symphony cruise from Papeete to Auckland on Terry’s thread. Back then, we spent one night in an Auckland hotel, then boarded Celebrity for 18 nights to Perth. Now I get to relive that itinerary adventure as well through this thread. 👍

I couldn’t agree more on your love of New Zealand. It’s truly a magical place and country. 

I think my husband and I were on both cruises in 2014. We took the Crystal Symphony from Valparaiso to Auckland. Stayed a couple of nights in Auckland and then took a Celebrity ship to do a circumnavigation of Australia.

Ivi

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I think my husband and I were on both cruises in 2014. We took the Crystal Symphony from Valparaiso to Auckland. Stayed a couple of nights in Auckland and then took a Celebrity ship to do a circumnavigation of Australia.

Ivi

It’s definitely a small world in the cruiser family, Ivi. 😉

Among the many highlights of those voyages was the scenic sail into Auckland in early afternoon aboard Symphony (with disembarkation the following day). 

• Like 3

Dwight thank you for your post and starting this thread.

Like you, Anne Marie and I find New Zealand to be very special and it along with Australia are some of our favorite places to visit. I think part of what makes it so special is location in addition to natural beauty.  The downside as we have learned is that it's along flight from the USA which is why we have been spoiled most of the times by having visited both countries on full World Cruises rather than two other times when flights were necessary either R/T or one way.

Keep enjoying and post when and what you want. 

Travel safely.

Keith

• Like 2

I like to visit a supermarket in new cities to see how the locals live.   One can tell based on the space allocated to each item.  I also look at prices.  I can always find a supermarket or grocery, but not always a McDonalds.  But I remember Forbes used to have a Big Mac index to show a different take on the cost of living around the world.

@ijkh  No, I wasn’t on the Mt. Cook adventure.  As of now, no overland planned on this cruise.

Thanks to all for the kind comments!

Dwight

• Like 5

All hail the return of seasack in the role previously played by Rob, then seasack, then Terry, if I’ve been paying close attention.

Thank you, seasack!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I know of three world cruisers who plan to leave the ship and return home from Singapore.  They do not want to participate in the new itinerary to Africa. No compensation from Crystal.

I would think Crystal would at least be required to refund port charges.

• Like 2