Crew Appreciation Included(mini Suites And Below)     1     $272.00         
Free Medallion Shipping     1     $17.00
Premier Photo Package     1     $117.98
Premier Princess Prizes Play    $170.00         
Fitness Classes (Unlimited)     $468.01         
Medallion Accessory         $0.17         
Reserved Theater Seating     $0.17     
Specialty Dining 2 Nights     $142.80

Must be some kind of new math for 2 Specialty Dinners - $142.80. and the 0.17 items?

$3992.11 value. Wow. Bargain for only $1360

I guess I should ask a question - how do I get that $142.80 value out of 2 specialty dinners on Sapphire Princess?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

There is NO value if you don't drink. There is no value if you only need wifi for one device. Most of the rest if puffery. You can see the shows with great seats without packages and you can get your medallions at the pier without having paid for shipping. The major value comes from the alcohol.

Edited by cruzsnooze
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

There is NO value if you don't drink. There is no value if you only need wifi for one device. Most of the rest if puffery. You can see the shows with great seats without packages and you can get your medallions at the pier without having paid for shipping. The major value comes from the alcohol.

There is plenty of value for me and I won't come close to 15 drinks/day.  I tire of switching internet between devices. I don't pull tips. I do drink bottled water, soda, and coffee.

I'm surprised you didn't mention exercise or desserts, which are probably the only two I won't use. But all of this is off topic.

How do I get $142.80 at full retail out of two specialty dinners on Sapphire?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do not agree with @cruzsnooze.  I think the value of the premier package comes from the unlimited casual dining options, as well as the better wines.  I also love the photos and room service fees waived.  We definitely use the WiFi and would never ever ever consider reducing our crew appreciation.  I also like being able to enter the green lane with free medallion shipping.  I do love the Princess prizes, even though the odds as slim.  On ships with the Catch by Rudi, I think the premier is a must!  Not sure if I would partake in the premier on a longer cruise but anything at 7 days or less, it is definitly worth it.  
Of course, I see more value in it on a Royal class ship where they have 2 or 3 of the following:  the Gastropub, Ocean Terrace, GiGis or Alfredo’s.  
I don’t get the premium desserts but my DH does.  We also don’t sign up for the fitness classes, as we do our excerice by using the stairs and walking the deck.  But, we do use the preferred seating for production shows in the theater.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

I do not agree with @cruzsnooze.  I think the value of the premier package comes from the unlimited casual dining options, as well as the better wines.  I also love the photos and room service fees waived.  We definitely use the WiFi and would never ever ever consider reducing our crew appreciation.  I also like being able to enter the green lane with free medallion shipping.  I do love the Princess prizes, even though the odds as slim.  On ships with the Catch by Rudi, I think the premier is a must!  Not sure if I would partake in the premier on a longer cruise but anything at 7 days or less, it is definitly worth it.  
Of course, I see more value in it on a Royal class ship where they have 2 or 3 of the following:  the Gastropub, Ocean Terrace, GiGis or Alfredo’s.  
I don’t get the premium desserts but my DH does.  We also don’t sign up for the fitness classes, as we do our excerice by using the stairs and walking the deck.  But, we do use the preferred seating for production shows in the theater.  

We never cruise 7 days or less always10-21 days. Never take premier just plus since we like our cocktails and hate photos (after 60 cruises who wants it). I can pay for a couple of specialty dinners on nights where I don’t like the MDR menu. We rarely use more than 4 casual dinners and at Vines they let us share. The premier package would not really help us   I should also say that the only thing we like about the Royal class ships are the huge penthouse aft suites and hate the noise volume anywhere near the atrium 

Edited by memoak

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

There is plenty of value for me and I won't come close to 15 drinks/day.  I tire of switching internet between devices. I don't pull tips. I do drink bottled water, soda, and coffee.

I'm surprised you didn't mention exercise or desserts, which are probably the only two I won't use. But all of this is off topic.

How do I get $142.80 at full retail out of two specialty dinners on Sapphire?

Not sure how you're getting $142.90 for a solo cruiser for specialty "value".  Where is that # coming from? 

You're options for specialty dining is Sabatini's ($35) or Sterling Steakhouse.($39).  not sure whether Premier Cruise Package credits can't be used at Crab Shack or not. Conflicting reports from various sources.   

Edited by reedprincess

1 hour ago, reedprincess said:

Not sure how you're getting $142.90 for a solo cruiser for specialty "value".  Where is that # coming from? 

You're options for specialty dining is Sabatini's ($35) or Sterling Steakhouse.($39).  not sure whether Premier Cruise Package credits can't be used at Crab Shack or not. Conflicting reports from various sources.   

Listed on my invoice like that, so Princess 

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Never take premier just plus since we like our cocktails and hate photos (after 60 cruises who wants it). I can pay for a couple of 

Usually avoid all photos, but it has been years since I've stopped for one. Have stacks of printed photos (somewhere) but these will be something I can put on one of the high tech picture frames, along with pictures I take. 

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

That's a wildly inflated value pricing for a solo, given specialty dining on all ships except Sun is $35/39usd + 18%.     AUD pricing is higher, given the exchange, etc. 

Doesn't work out to $142.90 in any currency however.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

That's a wildly inflated value pricing for a solo, given specialty dining on all ships except Sun is $35/39usd + 18%.     AUD pricing is higher, given the exchange, etc. 

Doesn't work out to $142.90 in any currency however.  

It is more that 3 dinners. Unless maybe I can trade the two dinners for a chef's table or something?

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

How much is the steakhouse on Sun? 

If I get the Surf and Turf, maybe the $10 surcharge is waived, which brings it to around $115 for two meals.

Specialty dining on Sun is running $45-49usd, depending on venue.. plus 18%.  

OP is solo on Sapphire though. 

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

booked for a 17 day cruise (solo)...

Prem Bev Pkg + Juice Bar     1     $1,606.33
Premium Desserts (unlimited)     1     $517.82
Medallionnet Multi-Device Wifi     1     $679.83         
Crew Appreciation Included(mini Suites And Below)     1     $272.00         
Free Medallion Shipping     1     $17.00
Premier Photo Package     1     $117.98
Premier Princess Prizes Play    $170.00         
Fitness Classes (Unlimited)     $468.01         
Medallion Accessory         $0.17         
Reserved Theater Seating     $0.17     
Specialty Dining 2 Nights     $142.80

Must be some kind of new math for 2 Specialty Dinners - $142.80. and the 0.17 items?

$3992.11 value. Wow. Bargain for only $1360

I guess I should ask a question - how do I get that $142.80 value out of 2 specialty dinners on Sapphire Princess?

Is your 17 day also available to book in segments?  If yes, the Specialty dining might be two restaurants per segment.

37 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Is your 17 day also available to book in segments?  If yes, the Specialty dining might be two restaurants per segment.

Antarctica cruise - no other options 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Specialty dining on Sun is running $45-49usd, depending on venue.. plus 18%.  

OP is solo on Sapphire though. 

Cruise isn't for a while - perhaps a price increase is coming? But it couldn't be that much.

I'll check again closer to the cruise date to see if their math is less fuzzy 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Don't get hung up on this.  A lot of the pricing "value" for package contents is just fake puffery to make it seem terrific. 

ETA:  Perhaps someone else booked in USD with Premier Fare package could check their travel summary and see if the "value" of the SD meals is the same as OP reports.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Don't get hung up on this.  A lot of the pricing "value" for package contents is just fake puffery to make it seem terrific. 

ETA:  Perhaps someone else booked in USD with Premier Fare package could check their travel summary and see if the "value" of the SD meals is the same as OP reports.

I'm more amused than anything. Princess charges $10 for medallion shipping, but the value is listed at $17. Say what? Or as an Elite, I can buy the Internet for half price. Etc, Etc.

The value to me is more than the price I pay, however. Nobody is forced to buy it.

I did decide to buy it in advance - I usually purchase on the ship, but am gambling that the packages will increase in price before my cruise and not at all sure that Princess will give notice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

The value to me is more than the price I pay

Exactly, forget about PCL bs numbers and write down what you will do and consume (as a couple) and what it costs and see how that compares to $60/pp/day ($120/day).  Then, make an informed decision on which way to go.

PS - PCL has given some notice of the package price increase in the past, so I would expect same going forward.

12 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Exactly, forget about PCL bs numbers and write down what you will do and consume (as a couple) and what it costs and see how that compares to $60/pp/day ($120/day).  Then, make an informed decision on which way to go.

PS - PCL has given some notice of the package price increase in the past, so I would expect same going forward.

What's that saying? Past performance is no guarantee of future results? I went looking for the numbers again and see it was under Reservations and Purchase on the Princess website.

princess1_Page_1.jpg

princess1_Page_2.jpg

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

But if you get just the plus,Aren't fees waved for Room Service as well?

Honest Question

Thanks

7 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I did decide to buy it in advance - I usually purchase on the ship, but am gambling that the packages will increase in price before my cruise and not at all sure that Princess will give notice.

you can always just purchase it via the website or app beforehand or on the ship but you are right, it is a gamble that they will announce the price increase in advance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I see $84 as the value of two specialty dinners on my travel summary for an upcoming cruise. We’re booked for 2 people on the Enchanted.

• Thanks 1