Interesting "Value" Breakdown of Premier Package

BlerkOne

11 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I'm more amused than anything. Princess charges $10 for medallion shipping, but the value is listed at $17. Say what? Or as an Elite, I can buy the Internet for half price. Etc, Etc.

The value to me is more than the price I pay, however. Nobody is forced to buy it.

I did decide to buy it in advance - I usually purchase on the ship, but am gambling that the packages will increase in price before my cruise and not at all sure that Princess will give notice.

I believe the extra $7 on the medallion is what they charge for a clip if you purchase it separately.

• Like 1

We have premier package for our upcoming 14 day on Enchanted. Listed value for "Specialty Dinning 2 nights" is $117.60. It totally makes sense for us to go with the premier. I'm into wine and cognac, so 3-4 shots of Remy Martin XO every day will pay for the difference between plus and premier. 

Interestingly, premium dessert is valued at $426.44. I'm sure my dentist will put a much higher price tag on it. 😄

• Haha 2

Definitely an "interesting" value breakdown.  A little optimistic about the actual value to a real passenger.

I'm not sure how many people are throwing down $517 worth of premium desserts (what's that like 40 desserts?) and then, very ironically, utilizing fitness classes to the maximum.  Not sure how many people are really getting to $1600 worth of Drinks/Juice bar, either.

Good news is you only need to cash in on about 1/3 of the total value they're claiming to break even on the package.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I see $84 as the value of two specialty dinners on my travel summary for an upcoming cruise. We’re booked for 2 people on the Enchanted.

That seems conservative since it equates to roughly Sabi's cover + 18%, whereas the CG is more expensive (like $46 with gratuity).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, memoak said:

hate photos (after 60 cruises who wants it)

My DW does, on EVERY single one of the 30+ cruises we have been on 🙄

But I am with you so if I can send my wife to your photo class hate training PLEASE let me know when and where and i will pay you WHATEVER you want!! 😜

• Haha 2

Guest Snaxmuppet

What is this word "puffery"? I have never heard it before!

OK, I know what you mean by it but I would strongly disagree that much of the non-alcohol items are that. Perhaps the prem desserts and 4 x wifi... most can easily do with one. The rest I feel does give value over buying them individually  and I for one would buy most of them individually if I were on standard fare so the package does represent a genuine saving for me.

Now... are the individual items over-priced? You know what the answer to that is likely to be but that is a completely different ball of wax and perhaps off-topic so saving for another day 🙂 🙂 🙂 

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Don't get hung up on this.  A lot of the pricing "value" for package contents is just fake puffery to make it seem terrific. 

ETA:  Perhaps someone else booked in USD with Premier Fare package could check their travel summary and see if the "value" of the SD meals is the same as OP reports.

Love the word puffery, I hope it catches on in the UK 🤣

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

I guess I should ask a question - how do I get that $142.80 value out of 2 specialty dinners on Sapphire Princess?

Maybe they are fixing the inequitable problem with the specialty dinners included with Premier - you get two specialty dinners, but a person on a 7 night cruise also gets two specialty dinners even though you are paying more than twice as much for Premier on your 17 night cruise.  Shouldn't you get five specialty dinners?

10 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

Maybe they are fixing the inequitable problem with the specialty dinners included with Premier - you get two specialty dinners, but a person on a 7 night cruise also gets two specialty dinners even though you are paying more than twice as much for Premier on your 17 night cruise.  Shouldn't you get five specialty dinners?

Not the way the packages are currently set up. I cruise with plus package and I get 2 casual meals on my 10 day cruise in January and on my 16 day cruise next month same thing. But on b2b 7 day cruises this summer I will get 4. Just the way they have it set up

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

Love the word puffery, I hope it catches on in the UK 🤣

The word was invented (if that’s the right term) in a court case in the UK.

18 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Cruise isn't for a while - perhaps a price increase is coming? But it couldn't be that much.

I'll check again closer to the cruise date to see if their math is less fuzzy 

Are you paying a 100% supplement because you are solo?  Did you book the Premier rate?  Do you have to pay double?

I know it seems like a stupid question.

1 minute ago, jagoffee said:

Are you paying a 100% supplement because you are solo?  Did you book the Premier rate?  Do you have to pay double?

I know it seems like a stupid question.

Yes, except for taxes. I added the premier rate for the standard $80/day - not double for that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

Good news is you only need to cash in on about 1/3 of the total value they're claiming to break even on the package.

I don't even care if I break even - the time it takes to figure it all out, plus obsessing as to keeping a running daily total is too much. If I am anywhere close (and I will be) it is worth it to me.

I'd much rather worry about what my next cocktail will be, and should it be a single or double. Peppermint schnapps in my hot chocolate? Why not?

Only 2 specialty restaurant dinners, but with a number of sea days, the unlimited casual dining adds a little variety.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't even care if I break even - the time it takes to figure it all out, plus obsessing as to keeping a running daily total is too much. If I am anywhere close (and I will be) it is worth it to me.

I'd much rather worry about what my next cocktail will be, and should it be a single or double. Peppermint schnapps in my hot chocolate? Why not?

Only 2 specialty restaurant dinners, but with a number of sea days, the unlimited casual dining adds a little variety.

Yeah doubles are great but they do add up fast with that 15 drink limit

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

1000% agreed. Love the freedom of the package. I always recommend it literally exactly as you say if you’re going to be anywhere close then it’s worth it. Obviously if someone is going to be egregiously short then it’s not for them but otherwise hell yes go for it. My only point was the original values they show are a little silly.

• Like 3

I still say the premier package has too many things we don’t.use. 95% of our drinks are covered by the plus package? We no longer care about photos most ships we sail only have a few casual eateries and we don’t like the Gastropub. Just can’t justify the $20 per person extra on 2 or 3 week 🚢 

5 minutes ago, memoak said:

I still say the premier package has too many things we don’t.use. 95% of our drinks are covered by the plus package? We no longer care about photos most ships we sail only have a few casual eateries and we don’t like the Gastropub. Just can’t justify the $20 per person extra on 2 or 3 week 🚢 

The Plus is usually good enough for me, and while Sapphire doesn't have the choices some of the other ships have, this time it is worth it for me for the photos, and extra internet, and to try more expensive drinks, etc.

It does appear I can cancel and book the Plus instead up until a few days before the cruise.

Posted (edited)

I agree as a solo cruiser about having to pay double for my cabin and is the package offering worth it? The cost difference and what is provided in each package is subjective. I might have different wants/needs/desires/abilities for one cruise over another. Those factors will be taken into consideration and a decision made.

Edited by cheetosrevil

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I normally don't cruise solo, so really the Premier package is cheap compared to me having to pay for two Plus packages. 🙂

Yeah but you don’t get 30 drinks. LOL

Edited by memoak
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I normally don't cruise solo, so really the Premier package is cheap compared to me having to pay for two Plus packages. 🙂

If I understand your comment correctly, I don't pay double for packages as a solo...only the cabin.

39 minutes ago, cheetosrevil said:

If I understand your comment correctly, I don't pay double for packages as a solo...only the cabin.

Yes we are somewhat tongue in cheek