The 71st Cruise with Princess was the worst cruise experience ever! Inaugural Sun Princess

On 3/15/2024 at 8:17 PM, IndyKid said:

Reminder to self - never EVER book a cruise ship until it's been in service at least a year. 

Better yet  - never ever book Princess ever again.  There are many other cruise lines out there.

DON

On 3/16/2024 at 2:09 PM, SouKnoMe said:

I saw this exact message posted yesterday on FB, but I was at a traffic light and missed the group that it was posted in. 

OP I was saddened for all that were displaced because the first two sailings weren’t ready for passengers. It was definitely beyond your control, and that of Princess. They went ahead with the 28th sailing with workers aboard who continued to complete the areas that needed it. My guess is that due to safety many areas weren’t opened until they were inspected and certified. God forbid someone get hurt with a hurried opening of those areas. 

As for the paint being wet, that sucked but you left your mark with your rubber shoe impressions. 

I hope you hear from PCL, but I don’t think you’ll be satisfied with any resolution presented. Sorry that your 70th cruise was so bad. 

My trip isn’t until the fall, and my first with PCL. I’m reading all reviews but taking the good over the bad. Somethings go wrong that can’t be helped. But it looks like the staff is really trying their best to please so many. It’s tough. 

I would hope that you at least got more of that wet paint on your shoes and walked all over the ship leaving tracks as you went.  

DON

Guest Snaxmuppet
14 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Better yet  - never ever book Princess ever again.  There are many other cruise lines out there.

DON

There are but I am not convinced that any of them are much better in this regard.

5 hours ago, donaldsc said:

DON

That's a little extreme. 

All cruise lines suffer delays of one sort or other on Inaugural sailings. 

• Like 7

If I could drive to a port an inaugural cruise is leaving from … I would do it.  I’m not sure I would invest in other variables (flights and lodging) that might complicate the situation more in the event of delay or cancellation. 

While many travel insurance companies will not cover some of these cancellation, there are fares available from airlines that are fully refundable and can be changed — even last minute. These flights of course cost more. 

We live in a world where you get what you pay for. A lower fare or deal is often referred to as a bargain. Pay less, get less. We bargain away flexibility and assurances for cheaper fares. If things go wrong, there is less flexibility and no assurances. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Has anyone ever had GOOD experiences with EZAir?  After reading some of the horror stories like this one, I can't imagine ever using them.  We generally fly with changeable tickets on our preferred airline.  Might cost a little more, but not worth the potential headaches to save a few $.

Yup. Always book with EZAir for the better international pricing especially in Business Class and the ability to book early and cancel if needed. Only 1 minor problem in many cruises.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

If I could drive to a port an inaugural cruise is leaving from … I would do it.  I’m not sure I would invest in other variables (flights and lodging) that might complicate the situation more in the event of delay or cancellation. 

Since ships like these are not built in the U.S., inaugural cruises will never happen here.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Has anyone ever had GOOD experiences with EZAir?  After reading some of the horror stories like this one, I can't imagine ever using them.  We generally fly with changeable tickets on our preferred airline.  Might cost a little more, but not worth the potential headaches to save a few $.

I've had all good experiences with EZ Air. For domestic flights the prices are slightly higher than non-refundable tickets but cheaper than refundable. On one of my upcoming cruises, EZ Air is $25 pp R/T more than if I booked non-refundable on my own (Maui-Seattle). On my last cruise we save $hundreds pp on Premium Economy to London with United/Virgin.

• Like 2

On 3/15/2024 at 8:44 PM, CU64 said:

The original poster must have had travel experience with 70 cruises, which is why I would ask a simple question: Why? Why did you need to go now…knowing any inaugural cruise problems…and supply issues for anything, especially since Covid. Then to add 3 cruises. What were you thinking? And to use EZ Air in this era of flight problems. Now you want Princess to take care of your lost money? I am in disbelief.

If this matter is true, all inauguration cruises shall sail without paying passengers for first 2-4 months to justify your input.  From the other hand, based on this reading, it appears cruise lines sell inauguration cruise by targeting first-time cruisers.  Otherwise, they assume all mature cruisers are fullish by nature.

8 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

There are but I am not convinced that any of them are much better in this regard.

Exactly.  They are ALL alike in such a matter (from Carnaval to Celebrity to Azamara to Regent), ALL.

41 minutes ago, Teechur said:

Since ships like these are not built in the U.S., inaugural cruises will never happen here.

I understand that. So, unless I find myself living overseas, I will wait until the risk for delays and cancellation subsides. It never goes away, but the first few months can be turbulent on any line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teechur said:

Remind me where Icon of the Seas was built and where it's inaugural cruise sailed from.  I forget.

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Stosh68 said:

Remind me where Icon of the Seas was built and where it's inaugural cruise sailed from.  I forget.

Finland.

Her official maiden voyage began on 27 January out of Port of Miami!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icon_of_the_Seas

Edited by Snaxmuppet

12 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

I’ve had two good experiences with EZAir (and I’ve only used it twice).  When EZAir is more expensive than the airline, we just book direct with the airline.  I think people are more eager to share their bad experiences, so we hear about the horror stories and seldom hear about the good experiences.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

While many travel insurance companies will not cover some of these cancellation, there are fares available from airlines that are fully refundable and can be changed — even last minute. These flights of course cost more. 

We live in a world where you get what you pay for. A lower fare or deal is often referred to as a bargain. Pay less, get less. We bargain away flexibility and assurances for cheaper fares. If things go wrong, there is less flexibility and no assurances. 

We find that the cost difference with fully refundable fares are not worth it. Issues requiring cancellation do not occur often enough to offset the increased price. When one does have to cancel most major US airlines have done away with change fees so the credit can be used for other flights. If it is canceled by the airline you get your money back anyway.

In this case the issue with the OP was the increased cost of flights booking them with short timeframe, not the refund of their original tickets.

• Like 1

Sure. I got a one way flight LAX-SEA for $20.12 on my preferred airline using EZAir. In my book, that qualifies as a "good" experience.

EZAir is just one more option to consider. Sometimes the best (occasionally by a lot), sometimes not.

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, memoak said:

That was the first cruise with paying customers however they had to sail across the Atlantic which was essentially a shake down cruise

That  was a positioning trip across the Atlantic wasn't it? not a cruise.

The maiden cruise, the first trip with paying customers, was from Miami.

Don't forget, the ship had undergone two months of sea trials beforehand. None of those were considered the maiden voyage.

I’ve used EZ Air multiple times.  Always less than booking directly for my reservations (not always the case when I have flown without EZ Air).  I have run into a few complications because THE AIRLINE made the cancellation.  But EZ Air has come through for me.  I had to be flexible and invest some time on the phone and at the airport.  

Look at EZ Air as the same as a guarantee cabin.  Patience is the name of the game.  

• Like 4

On 3/16/2024 at 7:41 PM, TRLD said:

It would have allowed one to cancel for any reason if they had a B2B scheduled and chose not to go with a later uncancelled cruise after the first was cancelled, but it would not have covered expenses outside of those made with the cruise line.  Basically as far as coverage, except for the ability to cancel for any reason, it would not have provided any benefits because Princess had already refunded any monies paid to it for the canceled cruise.

Helpful information.  OP's scenario is that the first cruise was cancelled.  At that point, if they had the platinum policy with CFAR, they could have cancelled the entire trip.  Probably losing prepaid items in their Madrid trip  (might those have been covered by the credit card that they paid with?).  They also had the option of flying on their ticket (either the first one or the second more expensive one) and doing a land trip at their expense as you noted.

If they had flown out on a ticket purchased by Princess then the platinum policy would cover trip interruption costs when a cruise is cancelled??  Those costs would have to be filed for and approved which can take months. 

I agree Princess will probably never make them whole on the business class airfare or prepaid items in their Madrid trip.   I might would try for the move over offer or OBC but getting a cash refund is very rare.

Thanks for sharing your view on the insurance.  I have an upcoming expensive trip that I trying to determine how to insure (no policy covers everything 🙂 )

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Helpful information.  OP's scenario is that the first cruise was cancelled.  At that point, if they had the platinum policy with CFAR, they could have cancelled the entire trip.  Probably losing prepaid items in their Madrid trip  (might those have been covered by the credit card that they paid with?).  They also had the option of flying on their ticket (either the first one or the second more expensive one) and doing a land trip at their expense as you noted.

If they had flown out on a ticket purchased by Princess then the platinum policy would cover trip interruption costs when a cruise is cancelled??  Those costs would have to be filed for and approved which can take months. 

I agree Princess will probably never make them whole on the business class airfare or prepaid items in their Madrid trip.   I might would try for the move over offer or OBC but getting a cash refund is very rare.

Thanks for sharing your view on the insurance.  I have an upcoming expensive trip that I trying to determine how to insure (no policy covers everything 🙂 )

We basically do not even try. We have an annual medical and evacuation policy for the real high cost possible problems. We purchase most travel on a Chase Sapphire or a Amex Aspire card to get coverage for the higher probability things such as cancellation for illness.

We do not bother trying to cover anything else.

We travel a lot and the amount we have saved by not buying travel insurance at 5% or so per trip over the years would more than pay for any out of pocket we might run into on future trips. Just make sure you have enough money set aside for any emergencies that might come up.

Over the years the few issues that have come up have resulted in some very good unplanned adventures. Some have been to use up airline or other travel credits before they expired.

One potential problem that some are not aware of is that with some hotel chains such as hyatt is if you book using points and do not show up you are charged the full cash price not just the points. Something to keep in mind when using points for more expensive properties.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 3

Guest Snaxmuppet
18 minutes ago, TRLD said:

We travel a lot and the amount we have saved by not buying travel insurance at 5% or so per trip over the years would more than pay for any out of pocket we might run into on future trips. Just make sure you have enough money set aside for any emergencies that might come up.

Perhaps... if you didn't have any serious issues. 

My friend/neighbour had a heart attack on board. They had to divert the ship and he spent ages in a hospital ashore (Caribbean) then had to be medivac flight home to the UK. Their costs were in the hundreds of thousands. That is no joke. I am not sure the saving of premiums on insurance would cover such a bill. They have had to sell their house and downsize to pay for it all. The annoying thing is that they had insurance but they had failed to disclose all their issues and medications and so their claim was rejected.

IIRC In the UK travel insurance with full cruise cover is required although I don't think they check that you have it beyond asking the question.