Paid for transfer on disembarkation day but have a late flight

Hi all! First post. I've been searching for a few days now and can't find an answer to this question. We'll be on the Encore in late June out of Seattle. Our flights were booked through NCL and include transfer. The ship disembarks around 8 am and our flight is at 9:45 pm -- which is fine with me since I want to see a little bit of Seattle. My question is, is NCL expecting us to take a shuttle early in the day with everyone else and sit at the airport all day? If that's the case, I need to cancel and make my own arrangements. Thanks!

6 hours ago, likesalot said:

Hi all! First post. I've been searching for a few days now and can't find an answer to this question. We'll be on the Encore in late June out of Seattle. Our flights were booked through NCL and include transfer. The ship disembarks around 8 am and our flight is at 9:45 pm -- which is fine with me since I want to see a little bit of Seattle. My question is, is NCL expecting us to take a shuttle early in the day with everyone else and sit at the airport all day? If that's the case, I need to cancel and make my own arrangements. Thanks!

All ashore is 9:00-9:30. Once the last passengers are off, the shuttles stop. 

You can take a post-cruise shore excursion of the city ending at the airport. 

You can use the free Port Valet service to take your luggage from your room and deliver it to the airport, checking it in with your airline’s, then explore on your own.

Pikes Place Market is a few blocks away. And the Space needle is walkable (but it is all up hill from the waterfront). 

We used the port valet and only carried 2 backpacks for the day. On our way out of the terminal we picked up some maps of the area - not sure if they have them all the time or not - and figured out how to navigate the rail transportation system. Walked to Pikes Place Market, along the water front and took the rail to the Space Needle and when we were done walking around took the rail to the airport. Worked great for us.

I would cancel the transport and find your own thing. Yes, you will be expected to get on the bus and go straight to the airport. And since you have such a late flight, you won't even be able to check in yet.

I would investigate getting a "Day Room" from one of the Airport Hotels.  Check in, leave your bags in the room and off you go.  Come back and enjoy a nice quiet dinner before heading to the airport.

Depending on your airline, you may not be able to check into or flight or check your bags before about 7:30 P.M.

Enjoy your time in Seattle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

I would cancel the transport and find your own thing. Yes, you will be expected to get on the bus and go straight to the airport. And since you have such a late flight, you won't even be able to check in yet.

While I personally wouldn't go to the airport that early, you can use the PortValet service in Seattle and your bags will go from the ship to the airport, next time you see them will be when your plane lands. So no issues with check-in or bags while exploring the city.

Too bad other ports haven't caught on and offer the same service.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, soaringfalcon said:

We used the transport to the airport, checked our bags with the airline, and then went sightseeing from there 

Careful with this option - some airlines have a maximum amount of time that you can check bags pre flight. I've had 4 hour limits in the past.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, likesalot said:

If it were us, we'd take the NCL transfer (that we'd have paid for) to the SEA airport and go to Baggage Storage to deposit all bags for several hours, and go on LightRail into Seattle and enjoy the day there. Then head back to SEA, pick up luggage and check in for the flight.

Seattle-Tacoma International Airport - Smartecarte

Sea-Tac Airport | Sound Transit

A few years ago we stayed in a hotel near the SEA airport for a week and twice we travelled on Light Rail into Seattle (first was to Pike's Market and surroundings, and second was to Westlake for the Space Needle and Chihuly) - both times easy peasy and very good.

P.S. Welcome to Cruise Critic! 

Edited by bluesea777

12 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

If it were us, we'd take the NCL transfer (that we'd have paid for) to the SEA airport and go to Baggage Storage to deposit all bags for several hours, and go on LightRail into Seattle and enjoy the day there. Then head back to SEA, pick up luggage and check in for the flight.

Or simply cancel the transfer, use PortValet, enjoy a FULL day in Seattle. Pick up luggage when you get home.

• Like 1

Wow, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the great info and ideas.

This was the key I was looking for from BirdTravels: All ashore is 9:00-9:30. Once the last passengers are off, the shuttles stop. That was a tough internet search.

I think the PortValet is the way to go (was going to do that anyway). Really smart of Seattle to do this. Since the flights were booked by NCL I would think the airline (Delta) would qualify. So I'll cancel the transfer and do my own thing. Thanks again, and thanks for the links bluesea777.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, likesalot said:

Wow, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the great info and ideas.

This was the key I was looking for from BirdTravels: All ashore is 9:00-9:30. Once the last passengers are off, the shuttles stop. That was a tough internet search.

I think the PortValet is the way to go (was going to do that anyway). Really smart of Seattle to do this. Since the flights were booked by NCL I would think the airline (Delta) would qualify. So I'll cancel the transfer and do my own thing. Thanks again, and thanks for the links bluesea777.

PortValet is run by the port. The fact that your airfare is booked through NCL has nothing to do with airline participation.

1 hour ago, likesalot said:

Gotchya, thanks.

I would wait until on board before deciding to cancel the NCL transfer to airport, in case the Port Valet doesn’t apply to NCL flights. 

If Port Valet will work in your favour, great! Otherwise….

9 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

I would wait until on board before deciding to cancel the NCL transfer to airport, in case the Port Valet doesn’t apply to NCL flights. 

If Port Valet will work in your favour, great! Otherwise….

NCL participates in Port Valet. It's a program run by the port and has nothing to do with who booked the flights.

• Like 1

While the port may run the program, the cruiselines do need to participate in it. It requires them to do behind the scenes work. For example, Carnival doesn't participate. I don't know why, but it appears they couldn't agree on some of the behind the scenes stuff.