Totes and Umbrellas in stateroom?

Posted (edited)

Does Carnival leave a cloth type bag or tote in staterooms for guest use?  Trying to decide if I need to pack a tote for sunning items around the pool or to go ashore.

Are umbrellas provided?  We have no status and are in an OV stateroom on the Sunshine (sadly, without much sun in the forecast.)

Also, does the temperature need to be a certain degree for the slides to be opened?  I fear that it may be too cold for my grandchildren to use this next week.  I believe that sea days will definitely be out, and embarkation day is only getting up to around 60 in Charleston.  But hoping that they can try the slides out in Nassau (high 73) or Freeport if the rain forecast changes (high 77).

Edited by Iamthesea

• Iamthesea changed the title to Totes and Umbrellas in stateroom?

I pack a small tote for sunning on board and a larger tote for beach time off the ship so we can bring towels if needed.

You could get swim shirts for everyone to protect from sun burn.

I have seen the slides shut down because of wind.  Don't think I've seen the slides closed because of cold temperature.

Have a great cruise!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, shof515 said:

only the high end category like the suites might get umbrellas

They don't provide umbrellas to anyone. Some ports of call offer umbrellas at the beach or pool, usually for a fee.

Edited by mz-s

The umbrellas are for the rain, not sun.😄  I hope to get even a little bit of sun!   When on Oceania last week, we not only had umbrellas in our stateroom, but there was a long rack of them as we disembarked for shore excursions.  I thought that was a nice touch. 

The kids will have sun shirts that should keep them a bit warmer if going on the slides.

I will pack the same beach tote that I took last week for the pool area.  Oceania did not give out totes to anyone other than those that have status or suites.  HAL places a cheap cloth bag in all staterooms on the first day. Celebrity used to do the same. We have not cruised with Celebrity since the May before Covid. All totes used to be nicer than the cheap cloth bags.  At least the cloth is something.

5 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

When on Oceania last week, we not only had umbrellas in our stateroom, but there was a long rack of them as we disembarked for shore excursions.  I thought that was a nice touch. 

I just looked at the prices on Oceania. 🫣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

They don't provide umbrellas to anyone. Some ports of call offer umbrellas at the beach or pool, usually for a fee.

There was an umbrella and binoculars in our Terrazza Cabana on the Venezia.  I’ve never seen them in any other cabin though.

21 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

There was an umbrella and binoculars in our Terrazza Cabana on the Venezia.  I’ve never seen them in any other cabin though.

That must be exclusive to the "Costa by Carnival" ships. I've never heard of it on a standard Carnival ship.

46 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

The umbrellas are for the rain, not sun.😄  I hope to get even a little bit of sun!   When on Oceania last week, we not only had umbrellas in our stateroom, but there was a long rack of them as we disembarked for shore excursions.  I thought that was a nice touch. 

The kids will have sun shirts that should keep them a bit warmer if going on the slides.

I will pack the same beach tote that I took last week for the pool area.  Oceania did not give out totes to anyone other than those that have status or suites.  HAL places a cheap cloth bag in all staterooms on the first day. Celebrity used to do the same. We have not cruised with Celebrity since the May before Covid. All totes used to be nicer than the cheap cloth bags.  At least the cloth is something.

The Sunshine is one of the oldest cruise ships afloat right now. You will not have an experience anything like Oceania or HAL. Just make sure you have your expectations in the right place.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, mz-s said:

The Sunshine is one of the oldest cruise ships afloat right now. You will not have an experience anything like Oceania or HAL. Just make sure you have your expectations in the right place.

Oh, I do...believe me!!!  I was just making a comment on what a nice service it was to have umbrellas available.

jsglow - We caught a good sale for our 7 night cruise to the Caribbean on Oceania.  It cost us approximately $1700 more total (two persons) compared to our rate for the 5 night cruise on the Sunshine.  On the Sunshine, we are in an OV.  On Oceania, we were in their smallest Suite/with a veranda.  Brand new ship with a fabulous bathroom!  Also included in that price (though you can say that we really purchased it) was Beer & Wine with meals, $600 in excursions (3 excursions pp), and 4 specialty restaurants for two.  Our TA gave us $200 in OBC for that sailing.   We are getting nothing with our Carnival booking.  Perhaps a tad more than the Carnival cruise (remember I am comparing 5 nights to 7 nights), but one needs to compare apples to apples when pricing cruises.

Edited by Iamthesea

2 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Oh, I do...believe me!!!  I was just making a comment on what a nice service it was to have umbrellas available.

jsglow - We caught a good sale for our 7 night cruise to the Caribbean on Oceania.  It cost us approximately $1700 more total (two persons) compared to our rate for the 5 night cruise on the Sunshine.  On the Sunshine, we are in an OV.  On Oceania, we were in their smallest Suite/with a veranda.  Brand new ship with a fabulous bathroom!  Also included in that price (though you can say that we really purchased it) was Beer & Wine with meals, $600 in excursions (3 excursions pp), and 4 specialty restaurants for two.  Our TA gave us $200 in OBC for that sailing.   We are getting nothing with our Carnival booking.  Perhaps a tad more than the Carnival cruise (remember I am comparing 5 nights to 7 nights), but one needs to compare apples to apples when pricing cruises.

I will note that right now, despite Sunshine being the oldest ship in the fleet and one of the oldest cruise ships afloat - she is commanding some impressive rates. I haven't been on her in over a year due to the prices, and I have sailed out of Charleston nearly a dozen times (3x in 2022 alone). Carnival is giving up a cash cow when they leave Charleston later this year (obviously they would prefer to stay, it's not up to them to leave).

The benefits of a drive-to port is something that Carnival understands very well.

• Like 2

Love Charleston and only a three hour drive away for us! Maybe we will go to Norfolk for Sunshine (love the Serenity waterfall and JiJi’s) but that will have to be down the road. Le Sigh!🐈‍⬛

14 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

Love Charleston and only a three hour drive away for us! Maybe we will go to Norfolk for Sunshine (love the Serenity waterfall and JiJi’s) but that will have to be down the road. Le Sigh!🐈‍⬛

I sailed out of Norfolk last year. Loved the experience. Better than Charleston, a more modern facility obviously. Still, will miss Charleston. Not excited about Sunshine going to Norfolk but hopefully it's reasonably short-term and they'll put a different ship there soon. I'm ready for a different ship, I sailed Sunshine so much in Charleston.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I sailed out of Norfolk last year. Loved the experience. Better than Charleston, a more modern facility obviously. Still, will miss Charleston. Not excited about Sunshine going to Norfolk but hopefully it's reasonably short-term and they'll put a different ship there soon. I'm ready for a different ship, I sailed Sunshine so much in Charleston.

Good to hear about Norfolk! Is there a bridge that would limit what ships can access Norfolk, like Jacksonville’s bridge?

Just now, ninjacat123 said:

Good to hear about Norfolk! Is there a bridge that would limit what ships can access Norfolk, like Jacksonville’s bridge?

Nope, no bridge. I-64 through there is actually a tunnel. Watching the ship sail over the tunnel was cool!

• Like 1

Venezia Ocean Suite, last week, no tote bag, no umbrellas.  Cheap slippers and robes were in the cabin.  Plus two beach towels.  No "pillow chocolates" either.

Water slides were open every day, even when cold outside.