Why is Celebrity Cruises Ignoring California Ports ?

13 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

OK.  I love to cruise the US West Coast, but cruise to where?

Mexico, always love a port where the local police carry machine guns and the US travel warning means I have no insurance coverage 

California, San Diego great as a port.  Catalina Island is OK.  SFO great.  But Monterrey and Santa Barbara are shut.  Whales require slow cruising speeds so the 14 day RT to Alaska doesn't work any more.

And the short 4 day cruises are not our style.

We took a Ca Coastal cruise on Infinity some yrs ago,  RT from  San Pedro that included all  the ports  mentioned above.incl Monterrey and Santa Barbara . Ensenada was the foreign port.

It was one of our fav cruises..Well worth flying  west  day ahead  from NY..Every port was beautiful and had much to explore..  Guess we were lucky to have the experience !

We have enjoyed Mex Riviera cruises as well but would not book there now  for safety  and other reasons.

For those of us who live in the West - we would love more cruises departing from the West Coast. Air fare is much more reasonable. We enjoy the longer cruises.  Cruises less than 10 day are too short for us. Not interested in Caribbean cruises. We have done many Alaska and Mexican Rivera B2B2B cruises. I can always wish for more choice for West Coast departure. Just put me on a ship and give me a book!  A lot of ports we just stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet. 38 days until the next one not that I am counting.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, miched said:

Why don’t they sail out of Houston, NOLA, and etc?    

Happy  cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

More ships are sailing out of Galveston these days and I doubt X has the demand to compete with the others.  I have family in TX, but my problem every time we've looked at sailing from there is that it takes a couple days to get out of the Gulf and a couple days on the back end, so the itineraries are very limited on a typical 7-day cruise.  Cannot get too far into the Caribbean before turning back, so lots of Western Caribbean/Mexico stops but not much else.

It is very hard to understand that any of the cruise lines could not make as much money  deling their cabins from Florida ports as to sailings from California ports . There is a lot of population in the western states Additionally ,many people would drive in & the air fares are lower flying to California . The report that Mexico is dangerous is  blown up . Mexico gets many  cruises per year & we do not hear of any danger to the Mexican ports . Fact is  many US cities today are more dangerous than the Mexican ports . NYC now has national guard troops in their subways  .So sailing to  Mexican cruise ports as being  dangerous is very over blown  .We have done Mexican  cruise ports at least 30 saiings & not one time ever felt threatened 

If X  does not want to sail from our California ports ,then when there may be a opportunity  ,it be too late imo

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Have you asked Celebrity?

Hope that they read these boards  besides has any one every tried to reach their marketing department ?   We are Elite Plus & almost Zenith  with X .  Because X has no ships  here in  our Ca ports ,we decided to  give our business to Princess &  Holland America who care about us in tthe Western States 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, CDRonboard said:

We have been sailing Holland America & Princess in Celebrities absence  from our  Calif ports

Since you can't travel to Florida, it's great that you have two nice options to select from in CA.  Happy crusing.

6 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Celebrity should do a cruise like this one the Princess offers 

32 days , out of LA 

it would be good uses of a m class ship 

IMG_7034.thumb.jpeg.d613cdefeb06d543420af2760012962a.jpeg

Way too many sea days for us..and too long overall! 

15 days was our max ..roundtrip to Hawaii from San Pedro on Summit  when she was in her prime

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, hcat said:

Way too many sea days for us..and too long overall! 

15 days was our max ..roundtrip to Hawaii from San Pedro on Summit  when she was in her prime

We thought it would be a perfect mix of ports and seadays ! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Good catch!

8C4B4EB6-0CD3-4411-B860-FDD97F229F80.png

I made my point for lack of X s presence  in  the California ports . The jury is out & we hope that X sees a way to not treat the Cakifornia ports as a step child

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, CDRonboard said:

I made my point for lack of X s presence  in  the California ports . The jury is out & we hope that X sees a way to not treat the Cakifornia ports as a step child

Is it Celebrity or the RCG making that decision? RC pulled out sometime after 2016. IMO, RCG. 

I guess it's too simple to just point out that RCG has invested heavily in Florida with cruise terminals in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canaveral, and Tampa. Every cruise that leaves one of those locations increases the return on those investments. And those cruises are mostly leaving full. Including plenty of cruisers willing to fly from the West Coast. Seattle and especially Vancouver give them advantages that wouldn't exist in Southern California. They can reach Alaska easily from either location, and Vancouver as a non-US location allows them to do one way cruises to Alaska or Hawaii. Europe and even Australia have become big "other markets" for RCG. If the OP has an actual business case for San Diego I'd love to hear it.

Although having multiple user names on the same platform usually gets one banished. I'd have to look at the user agreement on CC...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1