Simply Less but Vista is Beautiful

lolawpb

We just came off of our first Oceania cruise about two weeks ago. I'm still trying to form an opinion as there were good and not-so-good things that occurred. The Vista was beautiful and our Penthouse suite was immaculate thanks to a great butler and housekeeping team. Food was a real mixed bag with Red Ginger as the star and Polo and Toscana as just okay. Our steaks were overcooked and maybe we just ordered the wrong things in Toscana but both of us found the food lackluster. The main dining room we found sort of strange in the fact that it was nearly empty by 8 pm and the food seemed a bit overcomplicated compared to normal fine-dining restaurants or other more premium lines. The big surprise for us was the buffet which was not only very good for an outside lunch but was really nice at night. It wasn't crowded, the tables were set beautifully, and the chef did a few specialty meals. One was a Mexican theme since we were in the area and another was a sushi night. Burgers at Waves were very good. This is a problem on a few lines like Celebrity so I'm happy to report this. We liked Aquamar Kitchen and had most of our breakfasts there. 

Here are the things that fell apart for us: Upon embarkation we received a note that one of our shore excursions had been cancelled and we should go to the desk to rebook. When I went to the desk I was told there was nothing available and I could get on a wait list. So there was one day with no excursions that were "non-refundable". We skipped our last port due to weather and guess what...another day of "non-refundable" shore excursions cancelled. It seems that they need something in place to at least give us a shipboard credit to use at the spa or on drinks, etc. since both of those were on their end. We only got to go on one excursion during the 7 day cruise. I understand they are calling this a "free" credit but that was part of the deal we paid for so it just seems wrong. The other thing that was bothersome for us was the lack of service at the pool areas including the spa deck. Knowing that sea days are very busy it seems they need more staff cleaning up dirty drink glasses etc. around the pools and the sun loungers at the main had towel covers which people sat on and were not changed frequently by staff so it was hard to find a clean lounger at times. There was virtually no service at all on the spa deck. it would have been nice to have someone with cold water, drinks, towels like other lines do.

I still have questions as it was a nice cruise and staff were great but I'm comparing to our previous Silversea cruises and a few Celebrity Retreat that we tried last year. I'm considering going back to Silversea but I'm worried that it might not still be the same as the last time we cruised with them as it has been about 5 years. I'm still looking at Oceania along with other high-luxury lines so if anyone has a recent comparison  experience I would welcome the information.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 7

Regarding the canceled excursions, it is criminal that you just lose that money.  Has anyone tried going up the chain of command to get the Simply More changed to usable onboard credit?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Now that you have 1 O cruise under your belt, the real tests and opinion formulation should come with #’s 2 and 3. I can not compare O to Silversea or Celebrity Retreat as I have no experience but I can relate to other Oceania cruise comparisons. We were on Vista twice last year and she was outstanding but not perfect. We loved our PH, Butler and overall service.  We are not Pool people, Dermatologist rules 😇, but you are right, they could enhance their outdoor service in the Spa and service from the Pool Deck Bar staff.  

A few of our favorite experiences, as you said, Red Ginger is my #1 and I eat the   Watermelon and Duck Salad and Miso Glazed Chilean Sea Bass every time I am there and the Rack of Lamb is awesome. My DW loves the Teriyaki Beef, Medium Rare.  Toscana you said was not a favorite, you need to select different entrees because that restaurant is Outstanding especially with one of the Italian Chef’s offering nightly specials. Love the bread basket, Balsamic and Olive Oil cart, the Caesar Salad, the Dover Sole deboned at the table, the Lasagne is second to none and DW’s basis for comparing all Italian dining experiences on land or sea.  Polo, Love the Shrimp Cocktail, the Waldorf Salad is DW’s #1, my Cardiologist limits my red meat so a Filet Mignon cooked Medium Rare and the variety of potatoes offered once a week.  Ember, while not Jacques as on Marina and Riviera actually delivers some excellent entrees, just not gourmet fare. When you sail again, try the wine pairing dinners in Polo or Toscana in the private dining rooms, wonderful! If you want to push the dining envelope, book one of the evenings in Privee with the Pre set Gourmet dinner menus or the Dom Perignon Champagne pairing dinners. Yes you will PAY. Also remember, short of any wine pairing dinners, ALL the Specialty dinners were INCLUDED, aka NO CHARGE. 

I did not see a mention of your experiencing afternoon tea in Horizons or any time spent in Baristas and the Bakery. Both are favorites for us and companions as a place to chat and enjoy some goodies.  Yes the Terrace Cafe for breakfast, lunch and dinner is the Best Buffet afloat and was rated so this past year on CC. Waves is also quite enjoyable, especially if a quick’ meal before or after an Excursion is needed. By the way, should you like ice cream, hope you tried the many flavors of Humphrey Slocumb that is made fresh daily. 
Our first Vista cruise was only 7 days and believe me, it was “far too short” to form a definitive opinion. Second trip was 16 days and that allowed many opportunities to find new favorite offerings, enjoy more guests and cocktail parties and a fabulous evening in the Culinary Center making awesome deserts and a “toddy”. 

With any luck your TA or other guests or the O Club Ambassadors encouraged you to book a future cruise while on board. It’s the Amenities and Discounts! If you did not book, then you have another couple weeks to take advantage of an Oceania offer to book and receive a Several hundred dollar booking credit. We have already prepared ourselves for the Allura Inaugural season by booking a trip with friends in October 2025. 

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do and enjoy your travels and your Oceania family. 
Mauibabes

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

Dover Sole deboned at the table, the Lasagne is second to none and DW’s basis for comparing all Italian dining experiences on land or sea.

I literally told my daughter I should have tried the Lasagna  so I do think that my choice of a fish that would have likely been boring in any restaurant was a blight on that dinner. We did not try Ember with all of the bad reviews as I expected to like the main dining room more and wanted to have time to experience it on a few nights since it was a shorter cruise. I think it's difficult to judge a line when you are just on for 7 nights and you need to get the feel of the ship and how everything works. Oceania was like an interesting mix of the two lines we have sailed with before. In our experience, there was very little that was on the level of Silversea but like I previously stated, that was a few years ago and the price difference is notable so you have to factor that in. I am going to escalate the situation with the shore excursions if possible in hoped that they will make adjustments to the program to allow that credit to be used on board or applied to tips.

• Like 1

Hopefully your TA can help you and if not, I hope you are successful getting your message across. You can work your way up the Executive Chain or just start with FDR, the CEO. 
All of what I wrote about is JMHO.  Actually any cruise line experiences pre Covid bear no semblance to what they deliver today and it does not matter what you are paying for it.  They have all lowered their/our expectations but again in MHO, O is still delivering a great value for its place in the cruise industry. I call it LUX LITE. 
Enjoy and Good luck with your efforts.

Mauibabes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lolawpb said:

We just came off of our first Oceania cruise about two weeks ago. I'm still trying to form an opinion as there were good and not-so-good things that occurred. The Vista was beautiful and our Penthouse suite was immaculate thanks to a great butler and housekeeping team. Food was a real mixed bag with Red Ginger as the star and Polo and Toscana as just okay. Our steaks were overcooked and maybe we just ordered the wrong things in Toscana but both of us found the food lackluster. The main dining room we found sort of strange in the fact that it was nearly empty by 8 pm and the food seemed a bit overcomplicated compared to normal fine-dining restaurants or other more premium lines. The big surprise for us was the buffet which was not only very good for an outside lunch but was really nice at night. It wasn't crowded, the tables were set beautifully, and the chef did a few specialty meals. One was a Mexican theme since we were in the area and another was a sushi night. Burgers at Waves were very good. This is a problem on a few lines like Celebrity so I'm happy to report this. We liked Aquamar Kitchen and had most of our breakfasts there. 

Here are the things that fell apart for us: Upon embarkation we received a note that one of our shore excursions had been cancelled and we should go to the desk to rebook. When I went to the desk I was told there was nothing available and I could get on a wait list. So there was one day with no excursions that were "non-refundable". We skipped our last port due to weather and guess what...another day of "non-refundable" shore excursions cancelled. It seems that they need something in place to at least give us a shipboard credit to use at the spa or on drinks, etc. since both of those were on their end. We only got to go on one excursion during the 7 day cruise. I understand they are calling this a "free" credit but that was part of the deal we paid for so it just seems wrong. The other thing that was bothersome for us was the lack of service at the pool areas including the spa deck. Knowing that sea days are very busy it seems they need more staff cleaning up dirty drink glasses etc. around the pools and the sun loungers at the main had towel covers which people sat on and were not changed frequently by staff so it was hard to find a clean lounger at times. There was virtually no service at all on the spa deck. it would have been nice to have someone with cold water, drinks, towels like other lines do.

I still have questions as it was a nice cruise and staff were great but I'm comparing to our previous Silversea cruises and a few Celebrity Retreat that we tried last year. I'm considering going back to Silversea but I'm worried that it might not still be the same as the last time we cruised with them as it has been about 5 years. I'm still looking at Oceania along with other high-luxury lines so if anyone has a recent comparison  experience I would welcome the information.

I have a feeling that I might have been on the same cruise you have just written about. 

Vista Western Caribbean. March 9 to March 16.

I second everything you have said in your post.  We had the same experiences as you had

This is not the standards that we have been used to on previous Oceania cruises. Our dinner in the Polo was great Tom a Hawk veal chop and the sides were inedible.  The mushrooms were over cooked, the baked potato was Luke warm.  We ate in the buffet more on this trip then ever before. The Wave had the best food.  Food isn’t the reason why we cruise, but on a high end cruise and for the money we paid it should have been better.

I too, am looking for another luxury cruise line to take next.  I don’t know if going back to the Riveria or the Marina would be good or has the quality of food also not living up to their standards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is terrible about your experiences on Vista. We have friends on board now, their third on Vista and she sent a photo of her Lasagne an hour ago and said it was great.  They get off soon and head out on a TA on Sirena so we will be following their experiences on that ship and voyage as well. When we have had an unacceptable meal, they have happened, we always have a little “Chat” with the Maitre d. We have met with a number of Chef’s, to share the Good, Bad and Ugly.
 I agree, this should not be happening and you need to tell them so and actually it should have happened anytime you are unsatisfied. 
We are booked back on Riviera in November and then in April 2025 so we will check her out for ourselves. 
We love O but are definitely not going to maintain silence if they are failing to live up to their commitment to the “Finest Cuisine at Sea”. 

Maybe you can check out Regent or others to see if they deliver a better quality product.

Mauibabes

• Like 1

We were on Sirena recently and lost an excursion due to weather and could not make the port.  Our account for the missed excursion was credited under the Refundable portion. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, lolawpb said:

It seems that they need something in place to at least give us a shipboard credit to use at the spa or on drinks, etc. since both of those were on their end. We only got to go on one excursion during the 7 day cruise.

Also, because many people do B2B cruises, if any SM credits are unable to to used through no fault of the passenger, those credits should be allowed to be carried over to the next cruise.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

We were on Sirena recently and lost an excursion due to weather and could not make the port.  Our account for the missed excursion was credited under the Refundable portion. 

What form of payment was used when the excursion was originally booked ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lolawpb said:

Sorry you weren’t impressed with all your experiences on the Vista but then nothing in life is perfect. You can’t really compare Silversea to Oceania as the former is classed as ‘ultra luxury’ whilst Oceania is ‘premium’. 

We sailed Silversea last summer and have sailed many times with Oceania. Firstly, with Oceania we have found with shorter cruises, especially in the Caribbean the experience is different to that on longer cruises and in other parts of the world. We have only sailed three times in the Caribbean but there was definitely a different ‘vibe’ maybe more laid back and usually a much younger set of passengers. Although really that should make no difference.

Silversea, last year, was really good but it was our first time sailing with them and as with all lines, the regulars were saying how much it had changed since pre 2020 so it may not be as good as you remember. Also there has just been the most enormous hike in prices so you may find with the price differential now Oceania offers better value, if that’s important to you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

What form of payment was used when the excursion was originally booked ?

Never sure on a particular excursion but we did purchase excursions in excess of the SBC, not much over though.  My guess is if you have purchased in excess of the allotted SBC it then goes back to refundable portion. 

We also find Toscana and Polo Grill overrated. We had a great meal in Red Ginger on one ship and really mediocre on another ship. We didn't actually go to RG on Vista. Ember was our favorite of the specialties, and probably the only one we'll book on Allura, our next Oceania cruise.

The issue with the shore excursions is ridiculous. Must be fixed by Oceania.  

• Like 4

I posted a comparison of SS and O a while ago:

To me, O provides a better value for money, especially after recent dramatic price increase on SS. I don't really care what category each of them belongs, they are comparable to me in areas that are important to me, at least when comparing the newer O ships.

SS has excursions included in price (one in each port), but some excursions are still extra, and even some included excursions are sold out months before the sailing, so this is not much different from O.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

My guess is if you have purchased in excess of the allotted SBC it then goes back to refundable portion. 

That is also my understanding.

Once the value of the SM SBC has been used up on the first few excursions, any subsequent no fault cancellation will go back to other forms of payments.

IE: Normal non refundable SBC or normal refundable SBC.

Had just wanted to clarify whether you received a refund on some SM SBC.

From your answer it appears no, it was just because you exceeded the SM SBC by booking further excursions with other types of SBC or card.

Thanks.

17 hours ago, bchbum4000 said:

I have a feeling that I might have been on the same cruise you have just written about. 

Vista Western Caribbean. March 9 to March 16.

I second everything you have said in your post.  We had the same experiences as you had

This is not the standards that we have been used to on previous Oceania cruises. Our dinner in the Polo was great Tom a Hawk veal chop and the sides were inedible.  The mushrooms were over cooked, the baked potato was Luke warm.  We ate in the buffet more on this trip then ever before. The Wave had the best food.  Food isn’t the reason why we cruise, but on a high end cruise and for the money we paid it should have been better.

I too, am looking for another luxury cruise line to take next.  I don’t know if going back to the Riveria or the Marina would be good or has the quality of food also not living up to their standards.

Yep, also on Vista then w/ missed last port but so it goes and so it goes and so it goes, the way its going no one knows ... when that will happen.   

Tendering on an earlier day was a rocky adventure and the ensuing catamaran a rock n roller coaster which O might have regretted not canceling.  Still ... have to question this Simply More scheme which seems to leave many missing out and feeling badly just built in.

Food experiences were overall a solid A.  

Ember - thanks to CC advice, sitting on the side so no noise issue ... its the lightest themed ... as a pub apparently ... no issues w/ quality but service seemed confused.

Also thanks to CC advice on snagging early times for 2 top worked well and earned window seats for sunsets over the ocean, which makes even a slightly overcooked steak at Polo no static at all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Currently on the Vista and I agree with the OP that something needs to be done with the shore excursion portion of Simply More. On this cruise (3/16-3/27), we missed the first day in Bermuda and the day in Norfolk and I was also on the previous cruise (3/9-3/16) and we missed Costa Maya which was the last port of the cruise. At Costa Maya I had a $349 excursion booked which would have used my $300 Simply More excursion credit plus some of my regular onboard credit. The regular onboard credit went back to my onboard account, but the Simply More excursion credit became Simply Nothing for me. The same is happening on the current cruise as missed shore excursions in Bermuda and Norfolk result in Simply More shore excursion credits that are Simply Worthless. I feel that Oceania needs a plan B so that there would be some value (at least some onboard credit) to passengers for Simply More shore excursions cancelled because of missed ports.

Prior to Simply More I had 25 Oceania cruises under OLife and missed shore excursions always resulted in an onboard credit for the value of the missed excursions.  The port cancellations on my current Vista cruises were clearly good decisions because of weather conditions, but in any case value to me was lost because the Simply More shore excursion credits became worthless as they could be used for nothing else,

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

Currently on the Vista and I agree with the OP that something needs to be done with the shore excursion portion of Simply More. On this cruise (3/16-3/27), we missed the first day in Bermuda and the day in Norfolk and I was also on the previous cruise (3/9-3/16) and we missed Costa Maya which was the last port of the cruise. At Costa Maya I had a $349 excursion booked which would have used my $300 Simply More excursion credit plus some of my regular onboard credit. The regular onboard credit went back to my onboard account, but the Simply More excursion credit became Simply Nothing for me. The same is happening on the current cruise as missed shore excursions in Bermuda and Norfolk result in Simply More shore excursion credits that are Simply Worthless. I feel that Oceania needs a plan B so that there would be some value (at least some onboard credit) to passengers for Simply More shore excursions cancelled because of missed ports.

Prior to Simply More I had 25 Oceania cruises under OLife and missed shore excursions always resulted in an onboard credit for the value of the missed excursions.  The port cancellations on my current Vista cruises were clearly good decisions because of weather conditions, but in any case value to me was lost because the Simply More shore excursion credits became worthless as they could be used for nothing else,

Have you heard of anyone complaining up the chain about this Simply Worthless credit (that you paid for when you booked the cruise).

• Like 1

Appreciate the thread.  We ran into a similar shore excursion issue with HAL when cancelled ports meant unused shore excursion credits that were not refunded.  This all plays into my long-time issue of the industry adopting a decent "cruiser bill of rights" that would not allow for cruise lines to charge folks for things they cannot or will not deliver.  O cruisers pay for SM shore excursios as part of their cruise fare.  It is simply wrong, for the cruise line to pocket that money when the cruise line cancels a port or shore excursions.  Also consider that O, just like all cruise lines, contracts with local tour providers for their excursions.  The cruise line does not generally pay for the excursions, when a port is cancelled, so there is now an incentive for O to cancel ports to enhance their bottom line (by keeping the money that should have gone for the excursions).

Hank

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Simply worthless is sounding like a significant and justified concern. It certainly cements the simply more aka price increase argument. These threads truly give pause for a potential first time customer……and sounds like potentially to those experienced O travelers. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, lj77346 said:

rior to Simply More I had 25 Oceania cruises under OLife and missed shore excursions always resulted in an onboard credit for the value of the missed excursions.

Most other reports say $100 per excursion, regardless of original price. Of course Olife could only get an excursion up to $200.

3 hours ago, Steelydad2021 said:

Also thanks to CC advice on snagging early times for 2 top worked well and earned window seats for sunsets over the ocean,

Can you share more about this? 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

The cruise line does not generally pay for the excursions, when a port is cancelled, so there is now an incentive for O to cancel ports to enhance their bottom line (by keeping the money that should have gone for the excursion

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes logical sense.

48 minutes ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Can you share more about this? 

Certainly MarkWiltonM

Children we have it right here

Go concierge (IMHO worth it just for best dine times), then online at midnight sharp when reserves open up (60 day b/f if memory service) and times are there for the taking. 

Then show up just a few min early at appointed hour and we were seated by a window w/ an sea view at sunset w/o even having to ask

or sit outside at Terrace Cafe ... stare at Biscayne Bay, where the Cuban gentlemen sleep all day as the song goes

• Thanks 2