Simply Less but Vista is Beautiful

lolawpb

18 minutes ago, mb777 said:

@lolawpb

Wondering why you were upset the MDR was nearly empty at 8pm?  Why would this affect your meal?

We weren’t necessarily upset about it but we’ve never encountered that before and being later diners, the room was a bit cavernous and the staff was cleaning up around us a bit so we didn’t find it to be the best atmosphere for dinner if we arrived after 8 even though the hours were until 9:30. It was just a different vibe than we are used to. In contrast, all the specialty restaurants were packed at that time.

• Like 4

Thanks for the update. I would find it glorious if I were the only one in any restaurant but then again I eat about 6pm so I haven't run into that situation yet.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, lj77346 said:

Prior to Simply More I had 25 Oceania cruises under OLife and missed shore excursions always resulted in an onboard credit for the value of the missed excursions.  The port cancellations on my current Vista cruises were clearly good decisions because of weather conditions, but in any case value to me was lost because the Simply More shore excursion credits became worthless as they could be used for nothing else,

This is interesting that they used to give credit for this even though they were “included” excursions. I understood that it wouldn’t have been safe to dock in Costa Maya but that was about half of our credit that we lost and the other excursion that they cancelled because they overbooked basically and didn’t offer us a solution was really unacceptable. The real kicker was when they charged my credit card $200+ for tips after all of this. 

1 hour ago, lolawpb said:

The real kicker was when they charged my credit card $200+ for tips after all of this. 

Why were you surprised by this?  Was it something on top of the normal gratuities that are charged to your account, normally?

4 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Why were you surprised by this?  Was it something on top of the normal gratuities that are charged to your account, normally?

No we were expecting gratuities but the shore excursions that we lost out on would have more than covered this cost if  Oceania had given a credit back for them. 

• Like 3

There are many places to get dinner.  GDR is often crowded on the first few nights. After that, people want to try other venues.  They are all good. On my most recent 10 night cruise on Vista, we ate in GDR 4 times.  Food and service were good.  Ate in specialty restaurants 5 nights. Ate in the buffet one night. On longer cruises, we eat at the buffet more. Buffet is a great place for dinner.  It has all the choices on the GDR menu plus freshly grilled items, sushi, etc. On Vista, we ordered pizza from Waves at night. It is very good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lolawpb said:

We weren’t necessarily upset about it but we’ve never encountered that before and being later diners, the room was a bit cavernous and the staff was cleaning up around us a bit so we didn’t find it to be the best atmosphere for dinner if we arrived after 8 even though the hours were until 9:30. It was just a different vibe than we are used to. In contrast, all the specialty restaurants were packed at that time.

You will find that this is likewise a big deal for a subset of cruisers. This goes back to an older story told by a Social Director aboard ship. She was asked by one of us what was the biggest request /comment they get on the Comments Forms. She said across all ships it was to start dinner at 5:00 or 5:30. When asked why they didn’t she replied “ Management is concerned that would turn the ships into Ghost Ships by 7:30 or so, which would be a huge turnoff for other passengers. People don’t want to eat in large near empty venues.” 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

... When asked why they didn’t she replied “Management is concerned that would turn the ships into Ghost Ships by 7:30 or so, which would be a huge turnoff for other passengers. People don’t want to eat in large near empty venues.” 

Though I think the reality for so many G-B cabin cruisers is that many don't even eat in the specialty restaurants if they want a 2-top before 8 pm. O makes it impossible to set up the reservations in advance. Saw this on our 20-night B2B in Oct-Nov on Riviera. First 10 nights in an A3. No problem getting "decent time" for 2 top. BUT when we tried for our B3, all we could get were mainly 8:30 or 9 pm times. Weirdly, they asked us to change the 9 pm time to 8:30. I quickly saw why, just at the 8:30 time. We and about 2 other couples were the only people who showed up at 8:30 or after. We rushed our dinner to get out by 9:30 since it was emptying fast between 8:30 and 9 and mostly empty after 9 pm. We learned to tell the server upfront: "We're ready to order, we do NOT want any bread and NO dessert." We'd sailed on Riviera 12/2021 (A4) and Sirena 11/2022 (B2) so we "knew" the menus and what we wanted.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though I think the reality for so many G-B cabin cruisers is that many don't even eat in the specialty restaurants if they want a 2-top before 8 pm. O makes it impossible to set up the reservations in advance. Saw this on our 20-night B2B in Oct-Nov on Riviera. First 10 nights in an A3. No problem getting "decent time" for 2 top. BUT when we tried for our B3, all we could get were mainly 8:30 or 9 pm times. Weirdly, they asked us to change the 9 pm time to 8:30. I quickly saw why, just at the 8:30 time. We and about 2 other couples were the only people who showed up at 8:30 or after. We rushed our dinner to get out by 9:30 since it was emptying fast between 8:30 and 9 and mostly empty after 9 pm. We learned to tell the server upfront: "We're ready to order, we do NOT want any bread and NO dessert." We'd sailed on Riviera 12/2021 (A4) and Sirena 11/2022 (B2) so we "knew" the menus and what we wanted.

😳 We have always chosen the “late dining” option on other lines. 8:30pm is perfect for us. This situation sounds horrible….

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

There are many places to get dinner.  GDR is often crowded on the first few nights. After that, people want to try other venues.  They are all good. On my most recent 10 night cruise on Vista, we ate in GDR 4 times.  Food and service were good.  Ate in specialty restaurants 5 nights. Ate in the buffet one night. On longer cruises, we eat at the buffet more. Buffet is a great place for dinner.  It has all the choices on the GDR menu plus freshly grilled items, sushi, etc. On Vista, we ordered pizza from Waves at night. It is very good. 

My only issue from our 11 night cruise in February was that the dinner buffet at Terrace was unorganized with a hap hazard delivery of grilled food. People were reaching over each other to grab the chef's attention. Service was great

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 11:52 AM, MEFIowa said:

We and about 2 other couples were the only people who showed up at 8:30 or after. We rushed our dinner to get out by 9:30 since it was emptying fast between 8:30 and 9 and mostly empty after 9 pm. We learned to tell the server upfront: "We're ready to order, we do NOT want any bread and NO dessert." We'd sailed on Riviera 12/2021 (A4) and Sirena 11/2022 (B2) so we "knew" the menus and what we wanted.

We experienced the same problem with the specialty restaurants on Sirena in November, 2023.  They open at 6pm (with lines waiting to get in) and are closing down by 9pm.  If you go after 8pm it's a rush-job to get you out fast! 

We like to eat later around 8:15 - 8:30 and we couldn't go anywhere except the MDR.  Specialty dining rooms were dead and the buffet closed at 8:30.  Fortunately, the Maitre D in the MDR was "Alex" and he took great care of us.  He helped us "make the best of it."

• Like 2

On 3/26/2024 at 12:22 PM, lolawpb said:

This is interesting that they used to give credit for this even though they were “included” excursions. I understood that it wouldn’t have been safe to dock in Costa Maya but that was about half of our credit that we lost and the other excursion that they cancelled because they overbooked basically and didn’t offer us a solution was really unacceptable. The real kicker was when they charged my credit card $200+ for tips after all of this. 

At the outset, I have to say that I am a rusted on O cruiser with 416 days sailed.  We had the same situation on our recent cruise with 1 excursion cancelled and our last 2 ports missed resulting in $261 lost excursion credit.   Credits for the missed excursions appeared back on our account as nonrefundable cruise credit.  This led me to believe that Oceania obviously had allowed some credit refund for the missed excursions.   So the next few days were spent searching for items to buy in the poorly stocked over priced shops on Nautica.  Fortunately after spending a sizeable sum, I checked our account balance and found that I had exhausted our nonrefundable cruise credit and had spent some of our refundable credit but $261 nonrefundable credit balance was showing on the account.  On checking reception told me that those credits were for excursions only.  

Oceania needs to incorporate a third column in their account system 1. Refundable Credit. 2. Non Refundable Credit 3. Non Refundable Excursion Credit as the current system where 2 & 3 are combined is very misleading.  If anyone planned to cover their gratuities with their non refundable credit, it could well lead to a shock debit to their credit card at the end of the cruise.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The simply more excursion piece sure seems to be quite a big miss. Someone didn’t think this ‘enhanced benefit’ through well. It easily turns into a big frustration, leaving customers less than happy, rather than feeling like they received ‘simply more’. This almost punishes those who do not book additional excursions with them, in that there are few ways with which to use their excursion credit once one is cancelled on board during a cruise. Those who really don’t normally book excursions get hit the most…..maybe that was part of the unspoken strategy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I totally agree that the SM Excursion issue seems to be simply generating customer ill will rather than being perceived as an additional benefit of sailing with O.  We looked at the cruise price and considered the "free" excursions as a sunk cost.

Not interested in going on overpriced (vs similar tours purchased via internet), large group tours.  Found 2 excursions that were of some interest that used up our points and have booked private options or plan on doing self directed excursions for the balance of the cruise.

We would have preferred a lower priced / no excursion package but if they get canceled so be it.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

As Pinot pointed out when Simply More was rolled out, it's a price increase. Those that book excursions and have a beer or glass of wine do get a benefit out of it. It might be creating ill will for some, but perhaps the number crunchers see it as cutting out dead wood. You know, those folks with loyalty perks, booking cheapest rooms, have no on board spend, or what they do comes from free OBC. Oh wait, that's me half the time. LOL. 🤠

We all have choices to make, for the time being this seems to be the only game in town if you want to cruise Oceania. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I must say that now I’m a tad apprehensive about our first Oceania cruise. We have booked an excursion package which used all of our shorex credit and an additional $1000 or so on our CC. Most of our tours are scheduled for the last week of our cruise (Japan) because we’ve done most things “Alaska”. 

If rumblings are correct it is likely (or at least a good chance) we will have ports/tours cancelled near the end of the cruise with no opportunity to use the shorex credit. This is a worry - one I hadn’t really considered. 😕

Edited by durberville
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, durberville said:

I must say that now I’m a tad apprehensive about our first Oceania cruise. We have booked an excursion package which used all of our shorex credit and an additional $1000 or so on our CC. Most of our tours are scheduled for the last week of our cruise (Japan) because we’ve done most things “Alaska”. 

If rumblings are correct it is likely (or at least a good chance) we will have ports/tours cancelled near the end of the cruise with no opportunity to use the shorex credit. This is a worry - one I hadn’t really considered. 😕

Don’t worry it may never happen! One thing for sure if any tours are cancelled you will receive  ‘cash’ back to your account first. In the worst case scenario you may not be able to use all of your shorex credit.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

It seems to me, as others have said, that SimplyMore really is Simply Less in practice. 

I suppose it’s not until a new system starts to roll out do the flaws become really obvious. Whether or not prices increased with SM, it just seems unreasonable that some people are not able to take advantage of tours, which are now ‘included’, either because they are full or cancelled and no replacement is available.

If tours are full and there is still demand then that should be fulfilled, whether that demand comes from earlier tours being cancelled or just popularity of a particular tour. I just don’t think Oceania thought this one through properly. Now because people fear that tours later in their cruise will be cancelled they are booking early tours on their cruises. Demand for early tours soars, they won’t be able to meet that demand! Vicious circle!

Silversea introduced an included tour in every port. It obviously did not work in their favour because now some of what were ‘included’ tours have become ‘select’ carrying a charge. Some people who booked ‘included’ tours are now being charged because the tour has been ‘upgraded’ to select! Very many unhappy cruisers.

I think we all understand that the big cruise companies have huge debts. Also, the demographic is changing and the premium/luxury lines need to attract the cruisers of the ‘future’. I think the most dissatisfaction is amongst those who cruised ‘before’ and now that we are in the ‘after’ phase, with many more inclusions and higher prices, not everyone is happy.

As Orv says …” we all have choices to make”! 

Edited by Vallesan
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

It seems to me, as others have said, that SimplyMore really is Simply Less in practice. 

I suppose it’s not until a new system starts to roll out do the flaws become really obvious. Whether or not prices increased with SM, it just seems unreasonable that some people are not able to take advantage of tours, which are now ‘included’, either because they are full or cancelled and no replacement is available.

If tours are full and there is still demand then that should be fulfilled, whether that demand comes from earlier tours being cancelled or just popularity of a particular tour. I just don’t think Oceania thought this one through properly. Now because people fear that tours later in their cruise will be cancelled they are booking early tours on their cruises. Demand for early tours soars, they won’t be able to meet that demand! Vicious circle!

Silversea introduced an included tour in every port. It obviously did not work in their favour because now some of what were ‘included’ tours have become ‘select’ carrying a charge. Some people who booked ‘included’ tours are now being charged because the tour has been ‘upgraded’ to select! Very many unhappy cruisers.

I think we all understand that the big cruise companies have huge debts. Also, the demographic is changing and the premium/luxury lines need to attract the cruisers of the ‘future’. I think the most dissatisfaction is amongst those who cruised ‘before’ and now that we are in the ‘after’ phase, with many more inclusions and higher prices, not everyone is happy.

As Orv says …” we all have choices to make”! 

When we cruised in February on Vista we were not aware that excursions could  be booked way far in advance and long before we booked. As a result manynif the excursions we wanted were unavailable 

They do  need to fix and either refund ir find more room on excursions 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

When we cruised in February on Vista we were not aware that excursions could  be booked way far in advance and long before we booked. As a result manynif the excursions we wanted were unavailable 

They do  need to fix and either refund ir find more room on excursions 

Without a doubt!

Another bugbear of mine is that now in the UK they include gratuities in the fare. We are silver and have a 10 night cruise booked for next spring. Gratuities would have been included $180 pp but we have $125 pp in lieu of gratuities! I don’t know whether this is good or bad. We can spend the dollars on whatever we want but yet I feel a bit short changed!

Maybe I’m wrong.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Without a doubt!

Another bugbear of mine is that now in the UK they include gratuities in the fare. We are silver and have a 10 night cruise booked for next spring. Gratuities would have been included $180 pp but we have $125 pp in lieu of gratuities! I don’t know whether this is good or bad. We can spend the dollars on whatever we want but yet I feel a bit short changed!

Maybe I’m wrong.

If it's any consolation that is the same amount we get in North America, unless you turned silver before Nov of 2013(I believe it was). They get the full amount. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ORV said:

f it's any consolation that is the same amount we get in North America, unless you turned silver before Nov of 2013(I believe it was). They get the full amount. 

If someone books in North America, whether they be new to Oceania or silver, are gratuities included in the base fare initially paid ?

Edited by Tranquility Base

3 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

If someone books in North America, are gratuities included in the base fare initially paid ?

No.  They are added to you shipboard account once onboard.

Posted (edited)

So that's the difference to what Vallesan is posting.

In some booking locations eg U.K. and Australia, I believe gratuities are included in the initial base fare irrespective of whether the passenger is new to Oceania or silver.

Edited by Tranquility Base

A point of view:

1. Whether or not Oceania anticipated that unused shorex OBC would become a margin enhancement is speculation. Maybe they did not see this coming. Only O management knows for sure.

However, given the reports on these boards from more than one recent cruise, there are issues with availability of tours AND O shipboard personnel refusing to provide an alternative means of the customer recouping the value of the unavailable shorex.

IMO, There can be no way that O is not NOW aware of the situation and is actively choosing to NOT come up with an equitable solution. Otherwise, shipboard management would have the authority to provide refundable OBC or OBC not restricted to shorex if there is no shorex resolution.  

Perhaps, they are sailing mostly full and don't see the need to make any changes?

Perhaps, their financials are horrible and they feel they have no choice other than take advantage and not allow people the opportunity to use the shorex OBC in some cases? Remember, as has been previously pointed out, they not only capture all of the revenue from the booking, but also undoubtedly don't have to pay the 3rd party excursion providers? More revenue and lower operating cost. 

But, there is no way that they don't know about this and thus far they have chosen to do what has been reported.

At this point, it is becoming a test of integrity. And so far, O is failing the test. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2