On Star Legend in Med. Pain control?

Petoonya

I feel for you, Petoonya. Stress, pain, worry, and medical expenses are not why we travel. You have me reminiscing about the medical surprises our family experienced during 25+ years of cruising. Things like norovirus cabin confinement, severe blisters from a hot deck chair, a dead power supply for a CPAP, forgotten meds, etc. Our medical surprises were not handled to our satisfaction on any cruise line. Hearing your saga convinces me I was just lucky in 2022 scrambling to complete a root canal days before our Barcelona to Rome trip. 

I took scuba trips for 20 years without the family and always bought personal medical/emergency evacuation insurance. Never needed it even once, but I'm glad I had it. Now that we're empty-nested sixtysomethings, I'm budgeting for ample travel insurance on all our foreign trips. What else can one do?

Best wishes for a swift recovery and a safe return. 

Hi Petoonya, wishing you a quick and speedy recovery and some needed pain management. Sending some good vibes to you for the rest of your trip. Please try to enjoy the trip as much as you can.

Hate to be a Monday morning quarterback, but from what I've read, it's best to wait 5 - 7 days after a root canal to fly. Maybe your flight and the change in air pressure caused some of your problems? Hope you're feeling much better after your appointment. 

13 minutes ago, avalong said:

Hate to be a Monday morning quarterback, but from what I've read, it's best to wait 5 - 7 days after a root canal to fly. Maybe your flight and the change in air pressure caused some of your problems? Hope you're feeling much better after your appointment. 

It does seem that flying is not recommended for 5-7 days after a root canal. Hoping the issue was easily resolved by your French doctor.

11 minutes ago, ridethetide said:

It does seem that flying is not recommended for 5-7 days after a root canal. Hoping the issue was easily resolved by your French doctor.

Yes, but you do what you have to do.  Emergency root canal, trip long scheduled – would you cancel?

11 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes, but you do what you have to do.  Emergency root canal, trip long scheduled – would you cancel?

Only in retrospect. It is a tough call. Similar, but different, we had to unexpectedly euthanize our dog the day we were flying to Panama to embark on a WS cruise. We opted to go despite our loss, and it was actually helpful to have the distraction as well as the time to grieve.

I am certain that Petoonya wishes her cruise had been a month later.

• Like 1

I too hope you are well. Once this ordeal is over, evaluate what is important to you, what you love doing and try again. Rooting for you. Happy Sailing

• Like 1

Hope you are resting comfortably. Even though you may feel alone, you have your cruise critic community behind you and hoping for the best. 

• Like 1

Hello Windstar CC family.

It didn't go very well, but I've decided to buck up and get through this with a smile. Too many nice people on board and wonderful staff.

So the dentist in Nice was quite young. He said he didn't see anything on Xray, yet I shot to the ceiling when he tapped on the tooth. Ended up giving me some gargle and floss, lol.

But what changed my mind about things was the way the medical staff  responded after I made my complaint.....supreme kindness and empathy. And chasing me around fluffing my pillows like mother hens. Dr. Dennis also told me that he had to go 4 months after COVID with a similar bad tooth before the ship was able to make port and he could attend to his it. If he stuck it out so can I.

Curiously when I got back from the Nice dentist there was a message on my stateroom phone from endodontist- he'd looked at Xrays and believed indeed he did miss a nerve. I see him when I get back 4/10.

Went to dinner for the first time in Amphora tonight, and very pleasant. Not able to eat a lot, and dined by myself contentedly. Have met nice folks, and we've made dinner plans.

Dr. Dennis onboard has nicely offered various pain meds when I need them but trying to avoid as much as possible. Know I'll just push through. This big storm we're experiencing isn't allowing us to do a second day in Nice but Genoa instead.  Love Portofino, and so will get to sit by the dock of the bay there.

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone. Have been through a small nightmare this last year, and this pales.....I appreciate all the words of wisdom. You are all dear friends and I'm inspired and touched by your kindness and love.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

You are all dear friends and I'm inspired and touched by your kindness and love.

Your attitude is what's inspiring!  I am grateful to know you (even if only virtually).

I am sorry you have to wait until you get home to properly deal with your tooth. I had a similar issue on board a ship (not WS). I was given the appropriate antibiotic for tooth infections and hydrocodone-acetaminophen (which didn’t touch the pain). He finally gave me a suppository of diclofenac and that really worked!  I was told that a morphine drip would be the next option. This was in 2017 and on a much bigger ship. I really feel for you!  After all these years that pain is still a vivid memory. 

Thanks for your thoughtfulness @Host Jazzbeau and @HaveDogWillTravel

It's nearly 2am onboard and my tooth is not real comfortable, but my clothes are getting bigger, lol! Ran around Portofino in the rain, had a sublime massage, and wonderful conversations with new friends onboard. Yes, know it was all  wrong to travel immediately after a root canal but I'll share my reasoning with you.

Exactly a year before I boarded this cruise my wonderful spouse died by his own hand- and I was his horrified witness. It's been one hell of a ride, and surviving it made me intent on getting here. I got the shocking email, but also a caring surprise next day when I took my the dogs out for a walk. In my rain  jacket pocket was the invoice  for this cruise- he loved Windstar too and I think he wanted me to continue keeping this my happy place.

Boarding this ship was part of healing.

Anyhoo- enjoy the heck out of life.....give an extra hug/kiss to your spouse, partner kiddos, grandkids, buddies. Cruises come to us for all kinds of reasons.....mine have always been to expand my mind, gain some peace, and this is one's the same. Pain is pain and joy is joy, and living through whatever comes your way is just living. I'm choosing joy today. Love you guys!

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks for your thoughtfulness @Host Jazzbeau and @HaveDogWillTravel

It's nearly 2am onboard and my tooth is not real comfortable, but my clothes are getting bigger, lol! Ran around Portofino in the rain, had a sublime massage, and wonderful conversations with new friends onboard. Yes, know it was all  wrong to travel immediately after a root canal but I'll share my reasoning with you.

Exactly a year before I boarded this cruise my wonderful spouse died by his own hand- and I was his horrified witness. It's been one hell of a ride, and surviving it made me intent on getting here. I got the shocking email, but also a caring surprise next day when I took my the dogs out for a walk. In my rain  jacket pocket was the invoice  for this cruise- he loved Windstar too and I think he wanted me to continue keeping this my happy place.

Boarding this ship was part of healing.

Anyhoo- enjoy the heck out of life.....give an extra hug/kiss to your spouse, partner kiddos, grandkids, buddies. Cruises come to us for all kinds of reasons.....mine have always been to expand my mind, gain some peace, and this is one's the same. Pain is pain and joy is joy, and living through whatever comes your way is just living. I'm choosing joy today. Love you guys!

I sure do wish I could hug you!!!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Awwwwww,,,,,,,😘

I am so very sorry for your heart breaking story. But, Look at you, brava, you went and did it and unfortunate things did happen but you did it. If you went on this cruise you can do about anything. You are  embracing  your moments how beautiful. All the best. Happier Sailing in the future. 😻Susanne

Petoonya...I've been following your posts for quite some time, especially your reviews of Tahiti. They were so helpful when my husband & I made it there in 2021. I too am so very sorry for your past year of loss, and especially the circumstances associated with it. I'm a nurse as well, and if you're anything like me, we tend to be stoic...about physical as well as emotional pain. I applaud your determination to "continue living," and hope you know that you are an inspiration to many on this board. I wish you continued healing & I hope you get that dang tooth squared away!! Take care.  ❤️Cindy

On 3/29/2024 at 3:41 PM, penlcl said:

Petoonya...I've been following your posts for quite some time, especially your reviews of Tahiti. They were so helpful when my husband & I made it there in 2021. I too am so very sorry for your past year of loss, and especially the circumstances associated with it. I'm a nurse as well, and if you're anything like me, we tend to be stoic...about physical as well as emotional pain. I applaud your determination to "continue living," and hope you know that you are an inspiration to many on this board. I wish you continued healing & I hope you get that dang tooth squared away!! Take care.  ❤️Cindy

Cindy- your words make me teary. Thanks for your compassion and kindness. Wish we WS folks here could all have a sail together! Hugs.

Well, this is getting to be a bad habit. My cruise is sunk! Had an accident 2 nites ago. Ended up with a torn right ACL, MCL, LCL,  and meniscus, and bilateral patella fractures. Won't belabor the story- just a freak thing. They've very good to me onboard, but I'm pretty pathetic...can't walk. And again since I'm solo, no one to be here for me. Thank goodness for friends onboard that I met here on CC. Getting great encouragement and love from them.

I have insurance and they have agreed to  transport me with a nurse  back home....but because of the holiday they can't find anyone to accompany me. We're docked here in Civitavecchia today, and again tomorrow until 5pm, After that we have all tiny ports all the way to Athens on 4/8.  I need surgery apparently so need to get home. The purser said today they may have to put me off the ship tomorrow regardless. When I reminded him that I was all alone, and would be alone in Civitavecchia, unable to walk to speak the language- he got it.

So, only choice is tot to roll with it! My kids are beside themselves. "Mom, if you EVER  talk about cruising alone again......."

(I have pricing for two future cruises!)

• Like 1

Petoonya, I am sending you healing energies. My hope is that these recent misfortunes will not discourage you from future travel with WS.I unexpectedly lost my husband and cruise partner two years ago. I know he would have wanted me to continue cruising. I have since taken WS cruises with a friend from high school who I hadn't seen in 50 years and my daughter. I also took an Atlas Ocean Voyages cruise to Antarctica with a friend. I am booked on a WS cruise to Tahiti in 2025 with my son. My husband would be thrilled. You have suffered much physical and, I can guess, emotional pain this cruise. The next cruise will be awesome. Keep smiling...

Wow, I’m so sorry to hear this. Sounds like Murphy’s Law has struck all around. Another nurse here, wish I could be there to help you get home.  It sounds like you are doing everything you can and standing up for yourself as needed. Stay strong for a little while longer.  I hope that obstacles will fall out of the way and that you will be on your way home soon to be with your loved ones and to get the care you need. 

Oh no! What an awful trip. 

"Bilateral", does that mean both legs? 

If the ship is next going to small Greek ports, you could be far from serious medical care for a week which doesn't sound like a good thing in the situation. Can insurance arrange for you to go to a hotel in Rome with some kind of aid/carer while they get transport home set up? Or even some kind of nursing or convalescent facility?

Holy cow! Just when the story can’t get any worse….Have the knee fractures taken your mind off the root canal pain?lol Kind of an extreme step to take for good medications.

Hoping your flight home goes smoothly once that can be arranged. Maybe on the way to the airport you can stop at store and purchase a few rolls of bubble wrap. 

In all seriousness, do you live in an area with non stop flights home?

Thinking of you

Wow. I am stunned. I will send more positive vibes and hope you have a a smooth trip home. I know you're a trooper and you will persevere. I hope you're comfortable while you travel back home.

When you start thinking about cruising again, consider joining us for Rome-Athens in June 2025. You will be guaranteed to have a couple familiar faces looking out after you (Anna and Paul). Praying for you. Sending our love.