Maximum Age Limits for Shore Excursions

There really appears to be no rhyme or reason. We're going on cruise later in the year that goes to Cozumel and Costa Maya. We've been there many, many times so we won't be booking a tour but I looked at two city tours in Cozumel. Both are designated as moderate activity. Open Top Sightseeing Bus With Walking Tour and Beach Break has no weight/age restrictions. Cozumel City Tour By Trolley (no walking or beach) has a max age of 75 and max weight. Wheelchairs and scooters are OK. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I  have read that in multiple posts over the years.

Are there steep cliffs or long trails in order to get to see the birds? I could understand if it was a rocky or mountainous region.

The most dangerous thing about bird watching in New Jersey is when the seagulls try and take your lunch while you are distracted.

Were originally from LI and we had the same thing with the seagulls…..and funny that one day in Epcot when I ordered the fish and chips in the England place and was carrying it to the table a seagull (or some other big white bird) flew in from behind me and stole one of the fish filets right off my tray!

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Not true. Sometimes you can't but I have been on excursions I booked independently and there were cruise line passengers and passengers booked through 3rd parties like Viator. I paid the least. I always google the description and often find the local operator. 

Correct. That poster should not have used the word "never". However, the cruise lines are very good at strong arming tour operators into exclusive contracts.  When a ship is in port they can only take cruise line passengers. One example is the Scenic Railway tour on St. Kitts and RCI charges quite a markup for it.

The cruise lines are also very good at making sure shops that are cruise line recommended turn over the their share of any sale made to one of their passengers.

On 3/31/2024 at 8:46 PM, cruisegus said:

Usually not.  Also you will never be able to book independently with the same providers as Royal uses. 

Not 100% true.   Sometimes it takes Royal years to find out a vendor has done this and then fire them "for the safety of our passengers"

On 4/1/2024 at 3:46 AM, cruisegus said:

Usually not.  Also you will never be able to book independently with the same providers as Royal uses. 

Probably not always true.  I used the same provider in Skageway

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Correct. That poster should not have used the word "never". However, the cruise lines are very good at strong arming tour operators into exclusive contracts.  When a ship is in port they can only take cruise line passengers. One example is the Scenic Railway tour on St. Kitts and RCI charges quite a markup for it.

The cruise lines are also very good at making sure shops that are cruise line recommended turn over the their share of any sale made to one of their passengers.

There are some port where the cruise lines have exclusive contracts with major attractions. Blue Lagoon in Nassau is an example although you can get tickets in Nassau. In Bermuda as a counter example excursions are not exclusive. There is a local tour aggregator there that most vendors use. You can book direct, use the local aggregator which tacks on $5 or do the exact same excursion with the cruise line which tacks on $20 to $40. So it is best to google and do research. Can often find local tour operators who do smaller groups and charge less for same type of tours at many ports. Tour operators who don’t have contracts with the cruise lines. I always read reviews. 

The shops, they pay to be recommended by the cruise line, so the cruise line get a cut from sales at those shops. 

1 hour ago, BillOh said:

Not 100% true.   Sometimes it takes Royal years to find out a vendor has done this and then fire them "for the safety of our passengers"

@Charles4515 and @BillOh I'll gladly retract my "never" and suffice that word with "almost" never.

As at least one of you also stated to do sois against RCCL's contract agreements with the tour providers, which btw is very lucrative.  Most reputable companies won't risk to loss of business that would occur from losing the contract 

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

The restrictions are set by the vendors or the vendor's insurance company.

I always was annoyed by those restrictions but now five years older I get it. Age can sneak up. When I was going snorkeling never any problem. I am in pretty good shape, not overweight, but I have noticed a difference the last few years. I often go snorkeling at beaches not snorkeling excursions, I have my own equipment and no worries about restrictions but now have to restrict myself. The vendors can’t evaluate every person and many people don’t recognize their limits so a blanket restriction makes sense.

Edited by Charles4515

23 hours ago, LittleMissMagic said:

We ended up booking tours independently, rather than through Royal.

Did the same for Cartagena. The Royal tour you must be 12, the independent tour has no minimum age. No idea why Royal has a minimum age on that tour!

On 4/1/2024 at 1:22 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

I  have read that in multiple posts over the years.

Are there steep cliffs or long trails in order to get to see the birds? I could understand if it was a rocky or mountainous region.

The most dangerous thing about bird watching in New Jersey is when the seagulls try and take your lunch while you are distracted.

You really do need to eat your sandwiches under towels, all of my kids have learned the hard way.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

You really do need to eat your sandwiches under towels, all of my kids have learned the hard way.

Yeah, they really love the ham and cheese sandwiches slathered with mayo and fresh Jersey tomatoes. We take turns guarding each other as we eat under a beach umbrella....I always carry a loaded flyswatter with us. The ammo is unlimited until I get exhausted.

From Finding Nemo (2003), "Mine,...Mine...., Mine, Mine...."

🤬

• Like 1