Sydney, NS on Volendam?

Posted (edited)

I posted this on the Canada/NE page as well but it’s sort of HAL specific and thought maybe someone here had some insights. I know @RuthC loves this itinerary for example! 

Sydney seems like one of the less interesting ports on a Canada/NE cruise so I’m at a loss for what to do this June. Has anyone done anything like the “Haunted Historic Sydney: A Wicked Walking Tour” excursion offered by HAL (or something similar)?  It’s pretty cheap and seems kinda fun. The only other semi interesting thing would be the Alexander Graham Bell museum but it’s rather far and excursions are pricier. 

Edited by Bostonjetset

29 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

I posted this on the Canada/NE page as well but it’s sort of HAL specific and thought maybe someone here had some insights. I know @RuthC loves this itinerary for example! 

Sydney seems like one of the less interesting ports on a Canada/NE cruise so I’m at a loss for what to do this June. Has anyone done anything like the “Haunted Historic Sydney: A Wicked Walking Tour” excursion offered by HAL (or something similar)?  It’s pretty cheap and seems kinda fun. The only other semi interesting thing would be the Alexander Graham Bell museum but it’s rather far and excursions are pricier. 

I’ve been there a couple of times and have only walked around through the big indoor shopping center at the terminal. Found some really nice things there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Rent a car! Nova Scotia is incredible!

When we had a port day in Sydney, we rented a car and took our kids to the Fortress of Louisbourg for the day. It was fantastic. 

You could also drive north to see some of the famous Cabot Trail. 

Get out and see more than the port. You won't regret it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

I posted this on the Canada/NE page as well but it’s sort of HAL specific and thought maybe someone here had some insights.

We cruised this itinerary frequently.  We love the fort.  Rent a car and enjoy the Cabot Trail or simply walk into town..

IMG_2552 - Copy.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I don’t have much interest in forts/military stuff so not sure that would be worth my time. We really wanted to just stay in the town for Sydney but it sounds likes most of you recommend getting out of the city haha. 

We plan on an Acadia excursion for Bar Harbor so will get some nature at that port. 

• Like 1

I have been there 4 or 5 times and in every post cruise survey I ask HAL - why, why do you make me go back?  I think it was one of the ports that HAL originally sailed to in North America when they were transporting immigrants so they maintain their historic relationship.  You are right the Graham Bell museum is quite a drive and if the weather is bad it is not a pleasant visit.  As much as you, like me, are not a military person the fort does have demonstrations, shopping and restaurants.   It is by far the best day I spent in Sydney and I have done most things.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bostonjetset said:

Thanks everyone. I don’t have much interest in forts/military stuff so not sure that would be worth my time. We really wanted to just stay in the town for Sydney but it sounds likes most of you recommend getting out of the city haha. 

We plan on an Acadia excursion for Bar Harbor so will get some nature at that port. 

We really enjoyed the artisan shops in the terminal, as @Navybikermom has mentioned.  We took a walk through town and then back along the promenade.  There’s a little fish and chip shack, there, with really great fish and chips and a great view of the ship!  There was also a banjo player along the way, who we really enjoyed.

Loved the pewter in one of the shops.  I bought myself a maple leaf!

IMG_8949.thumb.jpeg.59b7dd86a9130363f543de87296f40c2.jpeg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I have been there 4 or 5 times and in every post cruise survey I ask HAL - why, why do you make me go back?  I think it was one of the ports that HAL originally sailed to in North America when they were transporting immigrants so they maintain their historic relationship.  You are right the Graham Bell museum is quite a drive and if the weather is bad it is not a pleasant visit.  As much as you, like me, are not a military person the fort does have demonstrations, shopping and restaurants.   It is by far the best day I spent in Sydney and I have done most things.

Haha. I literally lol’d at your post. I’m traveling with my mom on this trip and she has been there before and said it was the most boring port last time she took a Canada cruise. 

1 minute ago, *Miss G* said:

We really enjoyed the artisan shops in the terminal, as @Navybikermom has mentioned.  We took a walk through town and then back along the promenade.  There’s a little fish and chip shack, there, with really great fish and chips and a great view of the ship!  There was also a banjo player along the way, who we really enjoyed.

Loved the pewter in one of the shops.  I bought myself a maple leaf!

IMG_8949.thumb.jpeg.59b7dd86a9130363f543de87296f40c2.jpeg

Well that’s lovely! 

• Like 2

Depending on what day of the week you are there, you can do a mine tour at the Glace Bay Miners Museum. It should be open Wed to Sun in June. If the restaurant is open, have lunch there as well. Have the pan fried halibut.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, seayourself said:

We have the ghost tour booked for Sydney week of May 25th. It looks fun!

Yea I thought so too. Something different and easy. And we’ll have time to browse around the shops and stuff in town beforehand. 

I looked up Cabot Trail and that looks like a beautiful drive but not sure mom would be up for renting a car and dealing with all that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stbr said:

Rent a car! Nova Scotia is incredible!

When we had a port day in Sydney, we rented a car and took our kids to the Fortress of Louisbourg for the day. It was fantastic. 

You could also drive north to see some of the famous Cabot Trail. 

Get out and see more than the port. You won't regret it. 

This! We drove the Cabot trail as far as Cape Breton National Park. A beautiful drive. The rental car agency was a short taxi ride away from the port. People there are SO friendly too! Some agencies used to pick people up at the port but I’m not sure if they still do.

• Like 2

After already doing all the good ideas that have been mentioned, including renting a car, we did the ghost tour on our last visit and enjoyed it! There’s a bit of walking so good weather would be a plus if you decide on it. 

• Like 2

On one of my trips there I took a HAL tour that included a sailing vessel out on a lake, quite a distance from town. It was so long ago that I really don't remember too much about it, other than it was a gorgeous day, perfect for sailing, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. 
I believe it was out near the Bell Museum. 

On another stop I went to a cultural presentation in the shopping center right across from where the ship docks. There was a song and dance show particular to the area. 
Again, very enjoyable time. I had plenty of time for looking at the shops downstairs afterwards, and was able to chat with some of the natives. THAT part of the day was especially great! Very friendly, knowledgeable people who loved to talk about the history and life there. 
There are also some vendor stalls outside the building, if either you or your mom like shopping. 

The last time I was there I just drove around a little on my scooter, and got into downtown, which I found a bit overwhelming driving in. Can't help you there. 

I like the port, though. It's quaint. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

The Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site is situated in the town of Baddeck, which lies on the north shore of Bras d'Or Lake. Excellent location for a sail as part of an excursion.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site is situated in the town of Baddeck, which lies on the north shore of Bras d'Or Lake. Excellent location for a sail as part of an excursion.

Thanks, yes! Those are the right words that I could no longer remember: Bras d'Or Lake and Baddeck. 
It was a lovely day. The ride out and back wasn't too far, either. 

If I ever get back to Sydney, then I want to go to the Fort. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Has anyone done anything like the “Haunted Historic Sydney: A Wicked Walking Tour” excursion offered by HAL (or something similar)?

DS did the haunted historic tour in Sydney. He enjoyed it, but said it was a shame it was in broad daylight. Would have been spookier at night.

Hope you and your mom have a lovely cruise.

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

On one of my trips there I took a HAL tour that included a sailing vessel out on a lake, quite a distance from town. It was so long ago that I really don't remember too much about it, other than it was a gorgeous day, perfect for sailing, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. 

On another stop I went to a cultural presentation in the shopping center right across from where the ship docks. There was a song and dance show particular to the area. 
Again, very enjoyable time. I had plenty of time for looking at the shops downstairs afterwards, and was able to chat with some of the natives. THAT part of the day was especially great! Very friendly, knowledgeable people who loved to talk about the history and life there. 
There are also some vendor stalls outside the building, if either you or your mom like shopping. 

The last time I was there I just drove around a little on my scooter, and got into downtown, which I found a bit overwhelming driving in. Can't help you there. 

I like the port, though. It's quaint. 

Thanks for the reply and the info!

4 minutes ago, Monarda55 said:

DS did the haunted historic tour in Sydney. He enjoyed it, but said it was a shame it was in broad daylight. Would have been spookier at night.

Hope you and your mom have a lovely cruise.

Thanks!  I think I may just book it.  It’s pretty inexpensive so not much to lose.  I too wish it was at night but alas there isn’t much we can do about that bit haha. 

We’ve only been to Sydney once.  Because none of the ship’s excursions appealed to us, we decided to just walk around some of the town. We visited two old houses and two old churches before eating lunch at a waterside restaurant.  For us, the stop in Sydney was low key, but nevertheless enjoyable. 

• Like 2