pre cruise miami hotel?

jonthomas

any recommendations for a hotel near shops, breakfast and shuttle,  safe area, restaurant on site and mid range price?

we are tired of staying at the best western international, willing to pay a bit more.

1 minute ago, jonthomas said:

any recommendations for a hotel near shops, breakfast and shuttle,  safe area, restaurant on site and mid range price?

we are tired of staying at the best western international, willing to pay a bit more.

The Yves Hotel in Miami worked for us last year.  It was reasonably priced, in a nice area, 10 minutes by car from the Port of Miami, which can be seen from half the rooms, and near plenty of restaurants.  

I'd stay there again. 

• Like 1

October we stayed at Marriott Biscayne Bay, nice and had all the amenities. Stayed there with our Bonvoy Credits so “Free” was good 😇👍 5-10 minutes to the Port. Be careful when heading to the ship, the location can be changed on a moments notice and your driver can spend a lot of time finding your ship. 
Mauibabes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FWIW, I never worry about staying near the cruise port.  I first think "where would I just stay if I was in town for a day or two?"  If that's anywhere reasonable for overall transport in the Airport to Hotel to Ship continuum, I go for it.  Somehow, that overall distance works out about the same unless you go really out of your way.

Like cruising out of Manhattan....pretty much everything is on the way from JFK or LGA, so no need to be on the west side by the terminal.  Find the neighborhood you like and go from there.

10 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

We enjoy the Intercontinental along with their restaurant, Toro Toro......and it is less than a 10 minute taxi from the cruise terminal.

We stayed there before our holiday cruise on Sirena.  Older hotel, but still nice.   We loved Toro Toro. 

1 hour ago, rim2rimhiker said:

We stayed there before our holiday cruise on Sirena.  Older hotel, but still nice.   We loved Toro Toro. 

569 CAD is way to steep for us to  stay one night.

• Like 2

We stayed at The Elser Hotel this last trip.   It's a hotel that Oceania uses to put their guest up, though we booked independently for much less.  Nice hotel with a rooftop pool and spectacular views!  There is a snack bar/drinking bar up there with offerings of flat bread types of food.  The hotel is across the street from Bayfront with all of the restaurants, live music, shopping, etc.  We loved the location and spent an evening out and about the Bayfront area!  It was a short Uber to the port. 

Book a Studio and do not accept an upgrade to a 1 Bedroom Suite.  We did and the bedroom portion was so small that we could barely move around the bed. Nor could we use the closet properly.   Actually, it was a hazard for my DH when he had to get up from a leg cramp in the middle of the night.  There was 12"  of space between his side of the bed and the wall.  And only 4" between the end of bed and the wall.  A Studio room is more open and easier to get around.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rim2rimhiker said:

Yes, that seems high.  We stayed free on IHG points.

You didn't stay "free".  You stayed using an alternative currency.  Those IHG points were a rebate, albeit not in dollars.  Did you get an effective exchange rate for those points?  Hopefully you got at least a half-cent per point value for using your points.  80,000 or less.

On 4/7/2024 at 8:46 AM, jonthomas said:

569 CAD is way to steep for us to  stay one night.

We haven't stayed at the Intercontinental since pre-Covid, so we aren't up to date on prices.  However, it never seemed "too high", although it was more than most lower budget chains, etc.

But the real draw was... if you stay there, ask for a room where you can see the ships.  We had great fun the first time we sailed out of Miami and stayed there thanks to suggestions here on CC.

I was up bright and early, watching the ships come in, and then leave again.

And that was the day before we sailed, so I got to see it all again the next morning, watching "our" ship arrive.

FUN!

But that's probably the main - or only - reason we'd stay there.  Otherwise, we'd look for a hotel with some other preferred features, etc.

GC

• Like 2

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Atlantic Beach Resort. It's on 41st Street Collins Avenue and is reasonably priced for a beach front hotel. It's not a luxury hotel, but we took a sea view room with balcony and the only sound was the waves, so it's very quiet. The hotel and the room were very clean and the staff very promptly dealt with small minor issues we had. There are a couple of restaurants, but there's also the trolley which will take you up and down Collins Avenue.

We Uber'd from MIA, about 20 minutes and then Uber'd to the cruise terminal, maybe 15 minutes.

• Like 1

Hyatt Regency last December, about $275 for a king including taxes. Nice hotel, decent little bar and restaurant, Miami Metromover right there, 5 minutes from port.

Our TA found "The Cadillac" (Marriott Collection, kind of boutique) in Miami Beach.  It was wonderful, and not as pricey as some other places we checked out.  Our Bonvoy got us an upgrade to Ocean Front, from an Ocean View.  I don't recall the Uber ride to the port being too pricey, and the driver got us there in maybe 20 minutes.

We usually stay at the Embassy Suites near the airport, as we like the cook to order breakfast before going to the ship. 

On 4/7/2024 at 7:26 AM, basenji56 said:

I try to get a hotel on the beach in Miami Beach. Not cheap but worth it

Agreed. We had a couple of nights before our just finished cruise staying at the Plymouth on 21st Street. Booked for us by our TA. Nice, laid back sort of place and a five minute stroll to the beach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1