Did we make a mistake?

You can google spring break dates and see when colleges across the US and Canada will be on break next year.  March has the most, but there are some schools out at the end of February and beginning of April.

We sailed Caribbean princess in week 1, March 2023 and saw no kids on a 10 day voyage. We liked the ship, saw nothing to complain about.  Best crew we’ve ever encountered.

Some complaints may be legitimate. Toilets don’t work. A/C fails. But they’re isolated.  Don’t read these and think the whole ship needs to be fixed.  In most, if not all cases, those issues have been corrected and new ones have cropped up. And guess what - the same things can and do happen on every ship on every line on every cruise. Equally isolated. You stand a very good chance of an excellent, issue-free cruise on all of them.

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, doghog said:

Have you cruised on the ship and in cabin C602 since your last experience? 

No we haven't and had no desire to go back. 

I also disliked the buffet setup on the CB which is very similar to some of the other Princess ships but as I remember the DR was perfectly fine.

We now stick with Royal class ships which don't have the similar problems with their AC and in the future we'll try the Sun. 

• Like 1

We just sailed on the Caribbean Princess last week. She is looking a little tired in some areas (some furniture and elevators), but aren’t we all!  One evening, two out of three toilets were unserviceable in one of the ladies rest rooms. They were all working the next morning. The kids were better behaved than some of the adults!  Ship was spotless and all crew amazing. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 555 said:

No we haven't and had no desire to go back. 

Bad advice telling others to avoid cabin C602 based on your one experience. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We prefer the older ships with a promenade deck.  The Coral is our favorite and the Caribbean is our least favorite.  We were on the March 17 cruise a few weeks ago.  It was our second time on the Caribbean and we were a little underwhelmed.  The crew, as on all of our Princess cruises, was great.  One cabin in our area had flooding problems and there were fans in the hallway for two days.  We felt that there was a decline in both the food and entertainment (with the exception of “Bravo!”).  We usually love Crooners, but on this cruise the pianist they had there played rock music, not the standard music usually associated with Crooners.  Also, there is no Alfredo’s/Gigi’s on the Caribbean.  In summary, it was not a bad cruise, but just not as enjoyable as our previous Princess cruises.  Admittedly, we may have been a little spoiled by our Mediterranean cruise on the Enchanted last summer, but we have decided that we won’t be sailing on the Caribbean again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, doghog said:

Bad advice telling others to avoid cabin C602 based on your one experience. 

Well after my personal experience I thought it wound be helpful especially since there was nothing they could do to fix the problem. They did move our cabin after trying numerous attempts to fix it.

I love to hear if others sailing in that cabin still encounter it today. 

One thing for sure, we're finished with the older ships. There are to many newer ones in operation to even give it another opportunity to disappoint. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, EbayCruiser said:

We booked the Caribbean Princess for a 6 night cruise for March '25.  There are four of us (all ladies) with 2 rooms (mini-suite with the reserve package).

We have never cruised Princess before but I have cruised on Holland America, RCI, & Disney once.  Looking for good food and a nice, clean ship.

Reading the reviews and see a lot of bad ones about old ship, sewer smells and bad food.  I realize all of this is subjective but we are paying a lot for this cruise with the reserve benefits.  

Now I have looked at a 4 night on the new Utopia of the Seas in October '24.  I have been on the Oasis class ships 3 times and really loved them but not sure about the crowds (children) and the food.

Thoughts?

If you want a Wow factor from the ship environment ( age 51) it will not be Princess. No bells and whistles. For that one person, RCI might be it. For the rest of you, and for quality interpersonal interaction in Reserve Class dining, I would go Princess, unless you are going to look around and find fault. If you want a Wow factor, book an aft Suite for the bigger balcony on the older ships. 

Thanks for all the replies.  If we go on Utopia, it will just be me & my daughter.  Niece & her friend are staying with the Princess cruise.

I am so back & forth, with the reserve package Princess is almost twice the price for just 2 more nights.  We have a mini suite on Princess but could not get a Jr. Suite for a good price so we will have a ocean view balcony on Utopia but we won’t be in the room very much.

We are now leaning towards Utopia!

• Like 1

I am another who prefers smaller ships. We were on Caribbean February of 2023 and it was fine. We were on the Regal this past February and actually decided we prefer the Caribbean. No ship is perfect but for us, smaller is better. That isn't to say we wouldn't go on the Regal again but it would depend on the itinerary. And personally I would always cruise for 6 days over 4 days! 😅

• Like 1

On 4/18/2024 at 9:01 AM, EbayCruiser said:

We booked the Caribbean Princess for a 6 night cruise for March '25.  There are four of us (all ladies) with 2 rooms (mini-suite with the reserve package).

We have never cruised Princess before but I have cruised on Holland America, RCI, & Disney once.  Looking for good food and a nice, clean ship.

Reading the reviews and see a lot of bad ones about old ship, sewer smells and bad food.  I realize all of this is subjective but we are paying a lot for this cruise with the reserve benefits.  

Now I have looked at a 4 night on the new Utopia of the Seas in October '24.  I have been on the Oasis class ships 3 times and really loved them but not sure about the crowds (children) and the food.

Thoughts?

Without a lot of detail, and, in a word:  NO!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, 555 said:

Well after my personal experience I thought it wound be helpful especially since there was nothing they could do to fix the problem. They did move our cabin after trying numerous attempts to fix it.

I love to hear if others sailing in that cabin still encounter it today. 

One thing for sure, we're finished with the older ships. There are to many newer ones in operation to even give it another opportunity to disappoint. 

Obviously at the time.

No doubting for a nanosecond you didn't have problems. When was your cruise? Do you really believe what you experienced still is a problem? I don't. 

I also would like to hear from any cruisers that has been or is in C602 on the Caribbean Princess since your cruise. 

Edited by doghog

2 hours ago, CU64 said:

If you want a Wow factor from the ship environment ( age 51) it will not be Princess. No bells and whistles. For that one person, RCI might be it.

I just turned 50, and believe me, newer Princess ships provide plenty of Wow for our entire family. My 13 yo's favorite line is Princess. For example, Enchanted is a fantastic ship, and we are really looking forward to sailing on her again next month and then next year.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 4/18/2024 at 9:42 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we sailed on Caribbean Princess once - in 2016. I know it was refurbed after that, but even back then it was old, tired and dirty. We will not sail on her again... I'd go Royal class and younger (Royal Princess, Regal Princess, Enchanted, Discovery, etc.)

Also, March is the time for spring break in some states. There will be lots of kids, if that's something you want to avoid.

so are we, but still.

We have been on the Caribbean Princess several times, the latest 18 months ago. Was it brand shiny new?  No, but it was in great shape, no smells, everything worked fine and it was by no stretch of the imagination Dirty! The staff and crew were great! There was always crew, cleaning, painting, etc.
We have sailed on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Cunard, Celebrity, MSC and Princess. They all have their good points and not so good.  Newer ships tend to be nicer unless they are brand new like the MSC Seaside when we sailed on her....lots of issues.  So it can happen on any ship just like any hotel or resort or airBnB. 
For families, Royal is probably a good choice with their waterslides, rock climbing walls, surfing, etc.  But when my DH and I sail, we want fewer kids, less playground atmosphere and a bit more refinement than Royal (we're Diamond on Royal so we have sailed them plenty of times)
With Princess, sure the newer ships are nicer and in perfect shape, but all the other ships are well maintained (with one exception...the Crown, but only on our sixth time on her). 
So everyone is looking for different experiences but for us at this point in time, we prefer Princess.  We love the ships, the itineraries are great and varied, the crew is wonderful and it feels like home to us!

Edited by suzyed

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, EbayCruiser said:

Thanks for all the replies.  If we go on Utopia, it will just be me & my daughter.  Niece & her friend are staying with the Princess cruise.

I am so back & forth, with the reserve package Princess is almost twice the price for just 2 more nights.  We have a mini suite on Princess but could not get a Jr. Suite for a good price so we will have a ocean view balcony on Utopia but we won’t be in the room very much.

We are now leaning towards Utopia!

I am not sure how you can compared the Reserve Mini Suite with a balcony on another ship....not even close...of course it's more $$.  Why not just get a Mini Suite without the reserve dining to save money?   Or you could have gotten a balcony on Princess for about the same price (or less) than on RCI.  In any case the mini is going to be MUCH more comfortable than a balcony on either line.

Edited by suzyed

Posted (edited)

This thread is a great example why we don't book a cruise line, ship, itinerary, cabin, etc. based on others experiences and opinions, positive and negative. I enjoy reading and respect everyone's opinions. Whether I agree with someone or not doesn't make either of us wrong or right. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, doghog said:

This thread is a great example why we don't book a cruise line, ship, itinerary, cabin, etc. based on others experiences and opinions, positive and negative. I enjoy reading and respect everyone's opinions. Whether I agree with someone or not doesn't make either of us wrong or right. 

Very true!  I enjoy reading everyone's experiences.  I think the Caribbean Princess would be fine to go on.  We picked the reserve because my niece went on the Allure last year with my recommendation (thought it was too big) and they had a balcony room and wanted a larger room this time & the mini suite fit the bill.

But I do love the Oasis class ships hence the problem making a decision.  

Posted (edited)

Yep,  you have a real decision to make now!!!  Knowing that your niece wants to stick with Caribbean Princess, for the larger mini-suite and reserve...  So, if you change, you will break up the group, the 'girls trip'.

It sounds like your niece had a different preference, and felt the Allure was too much, too big, etc.

Different strokes for different folks!!!  It seems that the relaxed vibe, larger suite, smaller ship.. promenade, etc..  are what she is hoping for.

I imagine that you have been talking about this with your daughter.  Unless she has already said that she is happy with either cruise... She might be caught in the middle.  In this case, I might set aside what I thought would be the better ship, and let your daughter decide.  Kind of open up both options, and let her decide - group girls trip on the smaller older shop, or time for the two of you on Royal Caribbean.

Planning a trip like this, with four women, can be a little like herding cats!!!! hahaha!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, suzyed said:

I am not sure how you can compared the Reserve Mini Suite with a balcony on another ship....not even close...of course it's more $$.  Why not just get a Mini Suite without the reserve dining to save money?   Or you could have gotten a balcony on Princess for about the same price (or less) than on RCI. 

But the balcony on Princess doesn't have a couch and it does on RCI. So the direct comparison is a balcony on RCI and a mini-suite on PC. Or Oceanview on both.

1 hour ago, EbayCruiser said:

Very true!  I enjoy reading everyone's experiences.  I think the Caribbean Princess would be fine to go on.  We picked the reserve because my niece went on the Allure last year with my recommendation (thought it was too big) and they had a balcony room and wanted a larger room this time & the mini suite fit the bill.

But I do love the Oasis class ships hence the problem making a decision.  

Do both! 😄 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Yep,  you have a real decision to make now!!!  Knowing that your niece wants to stick with Caribbean Princess, for the larger mini-suite and reserve...  So, if you change, you will break up the group, the 'girls trip'.

It sounds like your niece had a different preference, and felt the Allure was too much, too big, etc.

Different strokes for different folks!!!  It seems that the relaxed vibe, larger suite, smaller ship.. promenade, etc..  are what she is hoping for.

I imagine that you have been talking about this with your daughter.  Unless she has already said that she is happy with either cruise... She might be caught in the middle.  In this case, I might set aside what I thought would be the better ship, and let your daughter decide.  Kind of open up both options, and let her decide - group girls trip on the smaller older shop, or time for the two of you on Royal Caribbean.

Planning a trip like this, with four women, can be a little like herding cats!!!! hahaha!

Thanks so much for your perception.  My daughter and I have discussed this at great length and her last text said "I think we need to do the new ship with less days.  The girls trip would be 8 days if we stay in a hotel the day before and that is a long time away from Dad."

So looks like it is going to be Utopia of the Seas!!!   Yea!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EbayCruiser said:

Thanks so much for your perception.  My daughter and I have discussed this at great length and her last text said "I think we need to do the new ship with less days.  The girls trip would be 8 days if we stay in a hotel the day before and that is a long time away from Dad."

So looks like it is going to be Utopia of the Seas!!!   Yea!

Come back after you cruise and let us know how it was and whether you think you made the right choice.