NORO ON RADIANCE?

Reading on social media that there has been an outbreak of Noro on the Radiance in sufficient numbers for the Captain to make a public announcement.  Anyone here currently on board confirm?

13 minutes ago, notscb said:

It hasn't hit the CSC Cruise Ship Outbreak Updates page yet, but it should once they head toward a U.S. Port.

Whether or not there is any noro onboard a cruise ship, it must make a report to the CDC at least 24 hours prior to entering US waters reporting the number of GI cases (even if zero, so every voyage).The ship then needs to report again when the number of cases reaches 2% of passengers or crew, and then again when it reaches 3%.  The only time anything is shown on the CDC website (which is for GI outbreak updates is when the 3% threshold is reached.  So, there could be 70 cases of noro onboard, and there would be no report on the CDC website.

Posted (edited)

"Outbreak" may be a stretch, but enough cases that they did make an announcement and have implemented precautionary protocols. Reminders to wash hands. Pushing the sanitizer. Serving things for you in WJ, as well as MDR (rolls/butter, salt/pepper). 

No actual numbers.

I've heard of a couple people that had it. They both said it ran it's course in about 24 hours.

We have 2014 passengers. Not sure of crew. 3% of 2014 is 60.42

Edited by RobInMN
  • Thanks 2

Any GI issues on ships shouldn't be a worry to anyone other than those on the ship.

GI outbreaks rarely happen on ships. You're more likely to get noro from just spending time at a nursing home.

Also rare is having an outbreak affect a significant portion of the ship.

Look at this year's events that met the reporting threshold.

Only 4 of them. And only one was more than 5% of passengers. But that was only 7%.

Are you on Radiance next cruise? No worries, they'll have it all taken care of before they let people board again.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Any GI issues on ships shouldn't be a worry to anyone other than those on the ship.

GI outbreaks rarely happen on ships. You're more likely to get noro from just spending time at a nursing home.

Also rare is having an outbreak affect a significant portion of the ship.

Look at this year's events that met the reporting threshold.

Only 4 of them. And only one was more than 5% of passengers. But that was only 7%.

Are you on Radiance next cruise? No worries, they'll have it all taken care of before they let people board again.

We had over 50 on my roll call who all had gi issues onboard. Royal refused to take the report onboard and actually yelled at me it's impossible it's our food. It was something onboard, I got it too. If they dont take the report, then it didnt happen is royals way to handle from my experience.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

We had over 50 on my roll call who all had gi issues onboard. Royal refused to take the report onboard and actually yelled at me it's impossible it's our food. It was something onboard, I got it too. If they dont take the report, then it didnt happen is royals way to handle from my experience.

If that is the case, it is very risky for RCI, as past illness data is reviewed whenever the USPH inspects a ship, and if the report doesn't correspond with other data the CDC may have (reports from individuals), then the ship can fail the inspection and be barred from boarding passengers.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

If that is the case, it is very risky for RCI, as past illness data is reviewed whenever the USPH inspects a ship, and if the report doesn't correspond with other data the CDC may have (reports from individuals), then the ship can fail the inspection and be barred from boarding passengers.

We had some who called royal. The gi issue was on friday at dinner time. Some had doctors test and one lady went into the hospital for test. Those who called said royal really seemed to not care, if it was not covid, yawn, we dont want to know. No one who called said that rcl took their report seriously and cared. I was on a b2b is the only reason I tried to report it. Guest who supposedly was in charge yelled youc got it in cozumel. I didnt get off the ship in cozumel. He yelled cant be our food. Its inspected.

My doctor treated me for e coli. I couldn't get rid of it without seeing a doctor. I've never seen over 50 people post on 1 roll call before they were all sick with the runs. Royal for sure doesnt want to hear. One of several reasons since covid I dont have much trust in royal, but I like to cruise. Imo you are on your own if you get sick from something on their ship.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

RC reported 4 noro outbreaks last year, more than any other cruise line. I do believe they take it quite seriously.

Yea, we had a noro scare on our recent Vision cruises, where the ship was fogged during the turnover.  And the WJ was served by crew (including entertainment).  Just happened at the end of the first cruise and didn't come back for the 2nd.  

I have personal speculation, but it's just that.  We didn't get sick.

Posted (edited)

On the first leg of our Vision b2b (Apr 4),we met a couple in the Solarium.  The wife calmly stated her husband had had Noro and she would be driving them home when they got off the ship as he was still weak.  He was in the Solarium too.  We don't know if it was reported or what, but it's the only case we heard about either week. One person on our FB roll call reported a couple of family members with Covid. Overall, there seemed to be very little illness.  This is the first trip in a couple of years that I haven't come back with a bad cold(one time it was a sinus infection).  And, that's out of like 14 cruises (7 b2b's).

Edited by BND

Cruise lines only have to report GI outbreaks involving at least 2% of passengers or 3% including crew.

Plus there are plenty of GI things that aren't noro that people can get on board (and that may not even be contagious)

19 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Plus there are plenty of GI things that aren't noro that people can get on board (and that may not even be contagious)

Like which ones? And if those GI things are not contagious, how do people get it on board?

Just now, travelberlin said:

Like which ones? And if those GI things are not contagious, how do people get it on board?

Lots of different viruses/bacteria can cause a GI illness.  Then there's just a bad reaction to food. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

They eat and drink more/differently than they normally do.  Not a virus or bacteria illness but overindulgence.  Too much sun, booze and rich food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It wouldn't be surprising if there was Noro. It is pretty common on our spring canal cruises. The most interesting outbreak was on a Vision S. Caribbean cruise. I think also in April. 

The cruise made the CBS Evening News. Every night before we met up in the cigar lounge, we would count the number of yellow quarantine magnets above the cabin doors, to get our own tally of affected cruisers. 

We didn't come down with it until we returned home. But I think that might have been from the poor vomiting women on the plane. 

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Cruise lines only have to report GI outbreaks involving at least 2% of passengers or 3% including crew.

Actually, the ship has to report even if there are zero cases onboard.  The initial report, whether reporting any cases or not, has to be made 24 hours prior to returning to a US port.  This is the "routine report".  The "special reports" need to be made when the cumulative cases reaches 2% or 3% of passengers or crew (not combined).

9 hours ago, travelberlin said:

E. coli, botulism, salmonella, shigella, to name a few.

• Like 1

We are boarding Radiance in 5 days, so are closely following.  No, we are not germaphobes.

After over 40 cruises, mostly on Royal, this is the first time I've ever heard of (and read multiple confirmations) of a Captain ever making a general ship-wide announcement about an outbreak.  That, coupled with the delayed boarding formally announced for tomorrow's arrival/departure, would lead me to believe it is more than one or two isolated incidents.

Since the ship is on day 11 of a 12-night cruise, it is highly unlikely that they would get it from the hotel or airplane in transit due to the short gestation period - but certainly could have been exposed and brought it aboard at a port stop.  In any event, generally a good deep sanitation of the ship will probably knock this down quickly.

Chief - generally how soon would you expect the CDC pre-arrival form to be available on-line for viewing?  Will have no effect on our cruise plans, but curious as to the extent reported.

9 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

That, coupled with the delayed boarding formally announced for tomorrow's arrival/departure, would lead me to believe it is more than one or two isolated incidents.

But it'll all be taken care of before you board with the extra cleaning procedures, so don't sweat it.

13 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

We are boarding Radiance in 5 days, so are closely following.  No, we are not germaphobes.

After over 40 cruises, mostly on Royal, this is the first time I've ever heard of (and read multiple confirmations) of a Captain ever making a general ship-wide announcement about an outbreak.  That, coupled with the delayed boarding formally announced for tomorrow's arrival/departure, would lead me to believe it is more than one or two isolated incidents.

Since the ship is on day 11 of a 12-night cruise, it is highly unlikely that they would get it from the hotel or airplane in transit due to the short gestation period - but certainly could have been exposed and brought it aboard at a port stop.  In any event, generally a good deep sanitation of the ship will probably knock this down quickly.

Chief - generally how soon would you expect the CDC pre-arrival form to be available on-line for viewing?  Will have no effect on our cruise plans, but curious as to the extent reported.

What ever the count is reported, you have to know that there are many more cases onboard that are not reported. Some people just don't let the cruise line know because they don't want to be quarantined to their cabins.

• Like 1

Just now, Jimbo said:

What ever the count is reported, you have to know that there are many more cases onboard that are not reported. Some people just don't let the cruise line know because they don't want to be quarantined to their cabins.

No doubt about it!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

But it'll all be taken care of before you board with the extra cleaning procedures, so don't sweat it.

Depends on the extent of the outbreak.  Can't sanitize everything in a few hours and the B2B passengers generally resist being run through a sanitizing fog.😁

45 minutes ago, Beachin2 said:

Depends on the extent of the outbreak.  Can't sanitize everything in a few hours and the B2B passengers generally resist being run through a sanitizing fog.😁

They keep the B2Bs off the ship for a little over an hour, in our experience.  Kinda sucked that we also had to pack ALL of our clothing for the fogging, too.  But it was done, and we were able to unpack before the B2B lunch, and it wasn't a problem for the second cruise.

• Like 2

Always going to get Noro in places where there are lots of people in semi confined places. 

Reporting: very few will actually report it for a number of reasons

1. You will be confined to the room, people dont want that.

2, You may have to have a doc visit or something and thats probably chargeable. I know my travel insurance would require a docs note from the ship. If i want ro make a claim.

3, you wont get anything from royal for doing what is right, compensation etc so why bother reporting it. Human nature.

Also be honest now how many people do you actually see washing their hands now adays, and thats anywhere on the ship, buffet, toilets. Not very well enforced at all. 

So as far as royal are concerned theres hardly ever a outbreak. Except post cruise social media posts

• Like 1