Live from the Volendam - please join the Merry Widows on their cruise 😊

kazu

22 hours ago, canadianbear said:

We always stay at the Riverside when cruising out of Fort Lauderdale.  Love the location.  Close to restaurants, water taxi stop, Starbucks, a pastry store right across the street and more.  We try to go a few days early as I enjoy their pool as well with bar service right there.  We were there one year just before Christmas and they had Las Olas Blvd closed for vehicle traffic for several blocks with Christmas market & entertainment right near the hotel. Was so nice walking there with no traffic. 

The parades are fun, but watch out!   After all of the St. Patrick's hoopla, we asked the front desk if there was anything going on in the street the next day, a Sunday, as we were flying out later Sunday morning.  He looked at a sheet that was given to him by the city.  There was nothing on the schedule.  The guy at the front desk also said that we were planning on going to the airport too earlier and that we only needed to leave 2 hours before our flight. I knew better, but surprisingly, my DH (who is very OCD) went by this guys advice.  I was able to talk DH into leaving 15 minutes earlier.  Good thing! 

Nothing on the schedule my foot!!! We got down to the porter stand, collected our luggage, and called an Uber to get us to the airport. Making a shorter story, we went through 4 Uber acceptance, and 4 Uber's cancelled on us because they could not get through the streets to the hotel.  There was a St. Patrick's runathon starting, and all the streets were blocked off.  It's an understatement to say that we were sweating, DH was fuming, and I was making calls to cancel booked post flight transportation plans. 

One of the porters felt sorry for us, grabbed some of our luggage, and told us to follow him with the rest.  Out the front entrance we went, running up the street sidewalk, crossed directly in front of a group of runners, and got to another corner about a block and a half from the hotel.  There, a miracle stood before us!  It was a taxi driver letting off passengers that were trying to get to the hotel after their cruise.  They had called the front desk asking how to get to the hotel.  We switched places with the cruise couple (the porter taking their luggage) and made it to the airport with enough time to relax.  Luckily, and for some reason, the airport was not overly crowded like it usually is after cruise passengers hit it.  We breezed through security and were on the airplane soon after.  BTW - We got a $20 charge from one of the Uber drivers. 🤨

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

A St Patrick's Runathon? *****. That is so unirish. So unSt Patrick's Day but so freakin North American. Paddy's day is all about fun and party and drink. Running is the antithesis of Paddy's Day. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 19

7 minutes ago, kazu said:

At Rierside after our dinner with Brian and Michelle, we passed by a beautiful bride getting photos. Would’t you know it. there was a wedding. Of purse we did’t see the ereoy it we had fu watching the reception  

IMG_2674.thumb.jpeg.530f37eb497ba2b55ac8e7757a3c0ff5.jpeg

IMG_2675.thumb.jpeg.17026328cbc8302cd312149256798252.jpeg

🌺Aloha Jacqui❤️

So love this hotel and happy you have enjoyed staying there! Great videos! 
Big smile on my face when I saw you with Rich on SAILAWAY. I knew you’d be going! Hope you and Debbie have a marvelous time and with much relaxation!

🌺Denise🙂

• Like 11

They even had Mexican dancers.

IMG_2684.thumb.jpeg.1d5fd4a998bd323d0948f1cc2e20d8cf.jpeg

Debbie was sure the bride and groom had practiced for hours as they were so good and synchronized,

IMG_2682.thumb.jpeg.a3984d0bcc66adaa4eddc4f168339228.jpeg

it was very nice until midnight as the volume increased 😉 

IMG_2683.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

A St Patrick's Runathon? *****. That is so unirish. So unSt Patrick's Day but so freakin North American. Paddy's day is all about fun and party and drink. Running is the antithesis of Paddy's Day. 

St. Paddy’s day?.. 😉 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Enjoy your trip, Merry Widows! I just got off your ship on Sunday and loved my first trip on her. ms Volendam is the perfect size and the crew was very nice. Have a great time!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, kazu said:

Passing by on sail way yesterday and we did wave as we approached Brian’s condo

IMG_2692.thumb.jpeg.186861950594fd9b88d8fae9a83dbcc9.jpeg

Is Brian's the one on the left, or right?  I'll be sailing by on May 11th on Zuiderdam and will be looking to see if @POA1 and @Huskerchick are out there!!!

~Nancy

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Is Brian's the one on the left, or right?  I'll be sailing by on May 11th on Zuiderdam and will be looking to see if @POA1 and @Huskerchick are out there!!!

~Nancy

You can't see Point of Americas I in that photo. Sky Harbor is in the foreground. That's where the webcam is. Point of Americas II is on the right. POA I is in between. Our pool is on the oceanfront. Point II's faces the Stranahan River, which is the name of the channel that you'll be taking from the port into the Atlantic Ocean.

point-of-americas-00-470x480.jpg.a12b4e3255219d35e249f0e45e3aa710.jpg

We have blue-tinted glass railings. "Point 2" has white steel railings. (The solid white balconies are ones whose hurricane shutters are closed.)

It will look a little different because the pool at Point 2 is empty. (It's being refurbished. We all use the Point 1 pool, where you will often find upwards of 12 people at any given time.)

Screenshot_20240423-025035.thumb.png.7524eb3afed4e0664f7e52461c7a276b.png

The blue dot shows our relative position. Princess' terminal is closest to the bridge. HAL's terminals are off screen, to the left or south. You'll probably be in Terminal 26, which is where boarding was for the Volendam and

@kazua

Edited by POA1
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 12

Ah ha! Thanks for the explanation. Now I see where you are! I'll be waving at whoever happens to be there watching!  Maybe the PTZ camera will catch some of the CC people on our ship.....there are LOTS of us on the Roll Call!

~Nancy

• Like 7

Sail away took up most of our afternoon on embarkation day and by the time we missed to our cabin the luggage was there.  We said we would leave it until tomorrow — LOL - we lied - we put it all away.  Except someone forgot she hung up her jacket and cashmere sweater in the hotel room  closet.  😬 That’s what happens when you are dog tired when you check in.  Neither of us remembered it was there.  Oh well.

Reception in the Neptune Lounge and met a lovely couple or two who we enjoyed chatting with.,  The wine served was actually decent.

Off to dinner and WTH?  We were supposed to be at a table for 6 and it’s a two top,  We ran into the the one couple on the way out and they were at a 4 top for and said they were supposed to be at a 6 top too & would love us to join them.  We’ll see.  Didn’t see them last night to discusss.

• Like 19

Posted (edited)

Hope you can get your jacket and sweater back.  I would be sick!  If any hotel can find and save for you, it's Riverside.  In the meantime, I guess you will have to buy something new to keep you warm! 

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 6

I heard everyone raving about the prime rib in the Lido.  Not on the MDR menu but we decided to go there anyways.

I think our waiter is VERY new.  

The seafood cocktail was very good.

IMG_2698.thumb.jpeg.f8f9c523d746822ffb02123fbecccfa7.jpeg

We both had fish.  

IMG_2699.thumb.jpeg.7736e06040c44ad198a49dc667ed2d33.jpeg

IMG_2700.thumb.jpeg.b578feb3c7d33125573f2e7be1e07c93.jpeg

Forgot about pics - until we started, sorry.

Debbie had the pie for dessert and I the cheese plate.  Look! 2 whole crackers.  I had others and bun saved but unfortunately the waiter didn’t listen and remove my plate.

IMG_2701.thumb.jpeg.ed440049b3fd0e87a09228290851825f.jpeg

IMG_2703.thumb.jpeg.31142d903b719196a9503433465d2eeb.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Hope you can get your jacket and sweater back.  I would be sick!  If any hotel can find and save for you, it's Riverside.  

Thanks.  I have a couple of cashmere sweaters so I will be able to layer and will check out the shops to see if there is a special on a jacket.  Have to get an email off to the hotel today.  No biggie.  I have tons of jackets at home.  I can fake it relatively easily other than rain.

• Like 15

Yesterday was our Mariner’s Reception which is always fun with good company and Captain Van Eerten speaking.  Wine offered was decent, too 😉 

Busy day with our Meet and Greet planned for 2 PM (late timing due to the need for a couple of Mariner’s Receptions due to the numbers on board.  Turn out was pretty good considering the Motion of the Ocean in the Crows Nest.  To say a lot of passengers were uncomfortable is an understatement.  

At dinner the MDR was about 1/4 full for main dining.  I suspect a lot of room service was ordered.  Debbie and I were fine for the most part although we did have to watch our plates at one point in case they went off our table LOL.

• Like 24
  • Haha 1

Dinner last night was a Gala menu - We were both excited to see both shrimp cocktail and escargots on the menu.

We ended up ordering the exact same thing - shrimp cocktail, escargots, rack of lamb (small portion requested) substituting the veggies with asparagus and Parmesan potatoes and crème brûlée to share (with two spoons) and a cheese tray if there was one.  (Our waiter never confirmed if it was available or not).

The shrimp was good.

IMG_2707.thumb.jpeg.372bf4ede518e41b4011114634100033.jpeg

I am glad I didn’t order two escargots as is my usual habit.

IMG_2706.thumb.jpeg.8d14f42a141ca9529f5e2cdc84ce7f54.jpeg

The picture is deliberate - I tried 2 and they were the worst, most tasteless escargots either of us have ever had.  Our plates were removed with only a couple eaten and the waiter didn’t even ask if anything was wrong.

The lamb was very good.

IMG_2709.thumb.jpeg.e16b3b009934debec6f8d9d4daeedd65.jpeg

Then our crime brûlée arrived.  Debbie had never had it so she took the first bite and asked what the fuss was about.  I took a taste and UGH.  it hadn’t been prepared properly.  It was horrible.  One bite and we were done.  

IMG_2710.thumb.jpeg.672780958f70ebfde03ed4e7f58e62d1.jpeg

The cheese tray wasn’t picture worthy.

Now we have to decide what to do.  our waiter is very poor, very.  No offer of more wine, no water replenishment.  He had few tables due to the motion of the ocean and we still waited endlessly when there was no need.  not impressed.  he might be new but I’m not here to train.

so we might be playing where to eat dinner or switching tables.  other waiters in our area are far superior.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

@kazu

What a shame about your dinner being sub par.  Our escargot on our recent cruise was delicious & we had it several times.  

We had late dining & our waiters were fantastic.  I hope you will report to maître de or do a report on the App.  Do you think the waiter maybe was sea sick?  If not he has no excuse. 

• Like 7

Sorry you have waiter problems in the MDR. It really takes the edge off. I know there were a number leaving both in San Diego and Ft. Lauderdale so you well may have a new one although he should be better trained. Let dining staff know if problems continue ... and I know you know to do that. Escargot was good on our cruise as was the creme brule which I had rather regularly. Sometimes you have to wonder what on earth is going on in the kitchen.

Susan

• Like 7