Dining on NCL

dacf

We are wanting to sail the Mediterranean/Greek Islands in 2025.   We're used to dining on other ships with our fixed dining times.   This means same table, same table mates and same waiters throughout the cruise.   We really enjoy this because there is no waiting to be seated, you just walk right into the dining room and go to your table.  We get to meet and develop friendships with our table mates and a relationship with out waiter.  I understand that NCL does not do this but instead does just the anytime dining.   What is it like on NCL?  Are you waiting to be seated 10 min, 20 min or 30? or do you need to make reservations each night?

24 minutes ago, dacf said:

What is it like on NCL?  Are you waiting to be seated 10 min, 20 min or 30? or do you need to make reservations each night?

The wait depends on how busy it is, how many people are waiting before you, and if you have a reservation or not. It needed, head to the nearest bar until your table is ready. 

Sometimes, there is no wait at all. 

You can make reservations months in advance just to make sure that you have a spot. 

Thanks for you reply.  Then are you dining alone or do they seat you with others?   It would just be my husband and I.

24 minutes ago, dacf said:

We are wanting to sail the Mediterranean/Greek Islands in 2025.   We're used to dining on other ships with our fixed dining times.   This means same table, same table mates and same waiters throughout the cruise.   We really enjoy this because there is no waiting to be seated, you just walk right into the dining room and go to your table.  We get to meet and develop friendships with our table mates and a relationship with out waiter.  I understand that NCL does not do this but instead does just the anytime dining.   What is it like on NCL?  Are you waiting to be seated 10 min, 20 min or 30? or do you need to make reservations each night?

If you choose to dine in one of the specialty restaurants, then reservations are recommended.  In the main dining rooms (MDRs), it really is not necessary.  You may encounter a brief delay to be seated at peak times, but otherwise you usually will be seated within a few minutes of the time you arrive at the restaurant.  Whereas many cruise lines feature mostly tables for six, eight, or more guests in their restaurants.  NCL restaurants are dominated by two top and four top tables.  The overwhelming majority of passengers on NCL prefer to dine as couples or perhaps in groups of four.  There are a few larger tables, but frequently they go unused.  You may request a particular table or to be served by a certain member of the wait staff, but doing so likely will result in a delay.  Usually they will seat you at the next available table, regardless of which waiter's area that may be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dacf said:

Thanks for you reply.  Then are you dining alone or do they seat you with others?   It would just be my husband and I.

If the restaurant is busy and there is a bit of a line waiting to be seated, they may ask you if you would be willing to share a table with another couple.  If you agree to share, they may seat you ahead of others who have been waiting longer than you.  The option is yours, though.  They will not refuse to allow you to be seated as a couple, even if that means placing the two of you at a four top table.  OTOH, if you decline to join others, but two couples behind you in line agree to be seated together, the hostess will seat them at an available four top or larger table while leaving you waiting in line.

Posted (edited)

Thanks to all who replied.   I think we'll just stick with our our cruise lines.   This is what we really like over land based all inclusive.   We enjoy meeting other people and sitting at a table of 6 or 8 where we get the opportunity to know them and our same waiter throughout the cruise.

Edited by dacf
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, dacf said:

I could not imagine being forced to eat at a specific time or with the same people all week,  That sounds absolutely horrid.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I could not imagine being forced to eat at a specific time or with the same people all week,  That sounds absolutely horrid.

I’ve done both. We sailed on Celebrity (first cruise), RC, and Carnival. You make the whole stranger dining thing work, and we’ve met lovely people. However, we discovered NCL’s anytime, private-table dining methodology and have never looked back! 

I’m retired now, but worked hard long hours for almost 40 years, and interacted with dozens of diverse personalities each day. I now personally enjoy unwinding and relaxing at meals with just my spouse and/or family. It’s what brings us repeatedly back to NCL.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

To each his own.  Although I am Platinum level with NCL, I prefer the set dining times that other cruise lines offer and having the same table every night.  I like having the same waiter and assistant welcome me by name every night. After the first night of dining we never have to ask for our beverage since they know what we want and bring it automatically.  I also enjoy meeting new people and hearing about their cruise experiences, shore excursions they took, etc.  I wish NCL offered assigned dining as an option.  My wife on the other hand prefers the freestyle dining.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, dacf said:

Most if not all restaurants have tables for two people.  As a solo passenger, I eat the majority of my meals at table meant for two people.  No problem at all.

Relax and enjoy your cruise.

26 minutes ago, dacf said:

Thanks to all who replied.   I think we'll just stick with our our cruise lines.   This is what we really like over land based all inclusive.   We enjoy meeting other people and sitting at a table of 6 or 8 where we get the opportunity to know them and our same waiter throughout the cruise.

OTOH...

Our re-opening Princess cruise placed our large group at the table just inside the door. Our waiter was new and incompetent.  Every dinner was a 2 hour ordeal.  We did get to watch other parties come in 10 minutes after us, and leave 30 minutes before us.  We even asked for a different table and waiter after the 2nd night, but they said, no, that was our spot. On two show nights, we were finding seats after the start due to the long delays we had in MDR.

On NCL, as a couple, you stand a good chance of getting a window seat for lunch or dinner.  Our only window option (on Princess) was fighting for one in the buffet in the morning.

As I recall from our 90's experience. those new and friendly people at your table can also be obnoxious, and sometimes inebriated. The way politics are today, I wouldn't risk sitting with 4 to 6 strangers who might be very vocal in disagreements, either with me or the others. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

each his own.  Although I am Platinum level with NCL, I prefer the set dining times that other cruise lines offer and having the same table every night.  I like having the same waiter and assistant welcome me by name every night. After the first night of dining we never have to ask for our beverage since they know what we want and bring it automatically.  I also enjoy meeting new people and hearing about their cruise experiences, shore excursions they took, etc.  I wish NCL offered assigned dining as an option.  My wife on the other hand prefers the freestyle dining.

I too enjoy traditional dining. We have met friends we're still in touch with 10 years later.  The best part of traditional is the better service like you mentioned. Your server learns your beverages, likes and dislikes. We're on the Encore right now and with the 3 dining rooms it would be very easy. If say, 150 people want traditional, block off that many seats for early or late seating.  

I've come to the conclusion that I love meeting other people and talking to them at the bar. For some reason that does not translate at meals where I don't really want to make small talk with people I don't know. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Everyone's different.  But for us, we established tight friendships over the years and these were with our table mates.   We became tight over the cruise.  It was great!  We've never had a bad experience.

Edited by dacf

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dacf said:

If you are accustomed to eating at "traditional fixed dining times" (i.e., either early or late), there would normally be only a short wait for a table, if any. 

We are old,,, growing up with traditional, fixed time, large table dining. Today, we avoid it at all costs on all of our cruises. We greatly prefer to eat when we are hungry and when it fits our schedule. We don't want to be a slave to the cruise line schedule. Especially on a Med cruise where port times vary and sometimes are very early or very late. So, we do NCL Freestyle Dining, Royal Caribbean My Time dining, MSC My Choice dining.  

Time to try something different. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gknep said:

I've come to the conclusion that I love meeting other people and talking to them at the bar. For some reason that does not translate at meals where I don't really want to make small talk with people I don't know. 

I’m with you! I chat with people in lines, shops, bars, pools…you name it! I do get energy from other people. But, I love my down time and my meals represent that time. I don’t feel like being ‘on.’ I don’t really want to hear about other's experiences/ complaints while I eat. But, as stated, to each his/her own! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

3 hours ago, dacf said:

We get to meet and develop friendships with our table mates

It is a great feeling if it works.

But if it doesn`t and you don`t get along with your table mates you are stuck with them for the whole cruise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

Been there, done that. Depending on the other people at the table, it absolutely can be awful. Which is why we love NCL’s freestyle dining. It’s so popular that other cruise lines were forced to follow suit, adopting some form of “anytime dining” on ships that weren’t built to handle it. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

I think I read on here that you can still request fixed dining? Some solos and couples still do it?

i haven’t done it.

there is no such thing as fixed dinning on NCL

3 hours ago, dacf said:

you tell the person at the desk that you want a table for two, or you are willing to share a table with others.  Just know, that if you are sharing a table, they will sit folks at different stages of eating.  someone eat the table might be finishing up, some one might be on apps, etc.  I always ask for a table for two, but talk to the surrounding tables, so its just like sharing a table.

• Like 1

I love meeting others at Trivia or a bar There we may become friends and decide to share a meal or two together. To each their own, but I would hate being stuck at a table with people that the cruiseline paired me up with. I love that my husband and I can always dine alone without any issue.

As for the staff, I often get the same staff at breakfast and lunch in the main dining room when I eat in the same one every day. I do love getting to know them there. Yes, dinner is more of a toss-up, but then again, I love eating in different venues, so we always get new staff anyway. It's nice to go to different main dining rooms, have a night at O'Sheehan's/The Local, and also do a few meals in Specialty Dining. That in itself leads to different staff each night. Additionally, I love that we can eat at anytime. If we have a big lunch or long day in port, we'll eat later. If we want to catch a show, we might eat early. The flexibility on NCL is great!

• Like 1

NCL's Freestyle doesn't mean you never get the same waiter or you can never sit with others. You just need to tell them what you want. Sometimes, I sit alone and other times, I tell them I'm all right with sitting at a large table with others.

Funny enough, on the Escape, the restaurant manager decided it would be easiest (because of my food allergies) for me to dine at the same MDR, at the same table, at my preferred time, with one waiter. So it was almost like being on a traditional cruise, except that I was solo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellis1138 said:

NCL's Freestyle doesn't mean you never get the same waiter or you can never sit with others. You just need to tell them what you want. Sometimes, I sit alone and other times, I tell them I'm all right with sitting at a large table with others.

Funny enough, on the Escape, the restaurant manager decided it would be easiest (because of my food allergies) for me to dine at the same MDR, at the same table, at my preferred time, with one waiter. So it was almost like being on a traditional cruise, except that I was solo.

Also, if you get a waiter early that you like, you can ask them their schedule for the next few days (they typically rotate around MDR locations) and go to their next MDR rotation, and ask to be seated at one of their tables.  We have done this a few times.

• Like 1

Freestyle dining does not mean you don't meet others. We often strike up conversations with neighboring tables. Some people are receptive. Some people, not so much. And,,, there are nights when we are exhausted and just want to eat,,, and don't attempt to talk to others. 

• Like 2