Europe/Italy Advice - Which Cruiseline?

Not new to cruising(but only 6X), just got off of the new NCL Viva (LOVED it) in the caribbean, but totally new to cruising in Europe.  It's a dream of hubby to see Italy, so I was thinking a cruise would be a good way to do this.  I have been very intrigued with Virgin Voyages after reading and talking to people about them.........but found the NCL Breakaway to have better stops.  The Breakaway doesn't seem to get the best reviews, pretty large, too many kids (even for Europe)?  Is VV more of a short/caribbean destination line?  I could post this on the NCL and VV boards but will likely get more biased opinions.

Is there any cruise line better suited for Europe that I should know about before I continue my research?

I personally dislike NCL , but the most important thing on a European cruise is ports not ship or line since these cruises are very port intensive. I would not rule out any line but my favorites are Rccl and celebrity. 

• Like 1

Viking is definitely not more of a "Caribbean" cruise line. In fact, my niece and nephew is about to do a Med cruise involving an extended Egypt pre-cruise visit.

Focus on the ports you want to visit and the time spent in each. Europe has a lot of long tours and excursions...you need plenty of time in each port.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Viking is definitely not more of a "Caribbean" cruise line. In fact, my niece and nephew is about to do a Med cruise involving an extended Egypt pre-cruise visit.

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to Virgin Voyages, not Viking.

When you have good experience with NCL and they have a good itinerary it will be a good choice.
Personally, I use RCCL.

in the Mediterranean I will avoid MSC and Costa - can be a bit too 'local'.

2 hours ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to Virgin Voyages, not Viking.

Ooops...my mistake. I don't know anything about Virgin.

We use Holland America, and have a 21 day Med cruise booed for 2025. They meet the needs we have, it will be our second Med cruise on HAL.

Honestly, I don’t think lines are that different between regions. If you like somebody in the Caribbean, you’ll probably like them in Europe. 

• Like 3

We have used Celebrity, Princess and RCI extensively in Europe.  All are terrific cruises.  Have another booked this year with Princess.  Have yet to try NCL but the group is looking at one for 2025.  

• Like 1

If the goal is to see Italy, then go to Italy and explore the country by car, train, or on a decent land tour.  While we live to cruise, it is not the best way to see a country.

Hank

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

If the goal is to see Italy, then go to Italy and explore the country by car, train, or on a decent land tour.  While we live to cruise, it is not the best way to see a country.

Hank

Seconded.  If you are determined to cruise, give yourself a few days before and after to stay ashore and get a real sense.  How many times are you going to fly across the Atlantic?

On 4/23/2024 at 8:06 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

Try looking into MSC.  Very different feel than NCL.  A very European crowd on board.

I was going to ask if they just want to cruise around Europe or if they want a European experience.  If the latter I completely agree with you.  Particularly, but not necessarily, in the Yacht Club.

3 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I was going to ask if they just want to cruise around Europe or if they want a European experience.  If the latter I completely agree with you.  Particularly, but not necessarily, in the Yacht Club.

Some of the better itineraries may be in the older ships without the YC.  If I did t have to fly to Europe, I would be all over those.  EM