Legend of the Seas (3rd Icon class ship)

On 4/26/2024 at 8:52 AM, island lady said:

Not really impressed with reusing names.  But at least I hope they won't reuse the name of sunk ships! 

I don’t think Royal has sunk ships.

On 4/26/2024 at 8:45 AM, island lady said:

Vision class.  There were six of them.  Legend was one of the first to go...sadly.  Loved them all.  Happy to be back on Enchantment (fondly called "enstretchment) in a few months.  🙂 

We sailed on Splendor and I think Splendor & Legend were somewhat different than the rest of them. Viking Crown lounge was more to the middle and there was mini golf behind it.

It’s also interesting that class is called Vision when Vision ship is one of the youngest. It’s like calling Oasis class Utopia class. 🙂 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tatka said:

We sailed on Splendor and I think Splendor & Legend were somewhat different than the rest of them. Viking Crown lounge was more to the middle and there was mini golf behind it.

It’s also interesting that class is called Vision when Vision ship is one of the youngest. It’s like calling Oasis class Utopia class. 🙂 

The six ships in the Vision class were a set of three twins.  Grandeur and EN were twins, until they cut EN in half and added that middle section (which was a not a great investment for RCI).  

Rhapsody twin to Vision.  Splendor twin to Legend.  

I miss them all. 😞  But happy to be on a B2B on EN later this year.  🙂 

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Vison Class isn't really a traditional ship "Class". It basically comprised 3 pairs of ships and while it's unclear if all 6 ships were all built under the "Project Vision" umbrella, the class name was apparently named after the project, rather than any specific ship.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision-class_cruise_ship

It would be like using "Genesis Class" instead of Oasis Class.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Norwegian has though (Pride of America sunk before it even entered into service)

Norwegian is different line.

They are not re-using names for their ships on a regular base.

Yes, PoA was never really fully built so they used it for another ship.

Princess, Holland  America and now Carnival re-use names.

I do not have any pros or cons  this practice.

Edited by Tatka

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Norwegian is different line.

They are not re-using names for their ships on a regular base.

Yes, PoA was never really fully built so they used it for another ship.

Princess, Holland  America and now Carnival re-use names.

I do not have any pros or cons  this practice.

I was just making a joke about Norwegian having a ship sunk before it even got onto the open seas.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/25/2024 at 5:57 PM, Biker19 said:

Even Jason Liberty isn’t that much of a penny pincher where cost of the name was a factor on its use. 

So maybe he will use Liberty as a name again.......😉

I like the cruise lines reusing old names, especially when the new pays some sort of tribute to the old. It has been done throughout maritime history. The Queen Mary 2 carries one of the original Queen Mary's horns. Carnival's new Mardi Gras has her hull name painted in the original's font which is a nice touch. Plus, I like the old names better anyway. A new Legend of the Seas sounds better that the (in my opinion) kinda corny Utopia of the Seas. 

• Like 1

Royal has stated they start rumors with no intention of actually following through.  They even trademark names they don’t know if they will ever need.  Standard corporate marketing.  

Until it’s officially announced Legend is just another rumor no more certain than Carnival of the Seas. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2024 at 6:41 AM, twangster said:

Royal has stated they start rumors with no intention of actually following through.  They even trademark names they don’t know if they will ever need.  Standard corporate marketing.  

Until it’s officially announced Legend is just another rumor no more certain than Carnival of the Seas. 

https://www.equasis.org

Does anyone know how reliable database this one is, and who can actually add data there? That database has contained the name Legend of the Seas since May, but is it a reliable source or can any random people add names in there?

Edited by Eremita85
  • Like 1

Equasis is generally a well respected database and usually quite accurate.

But it can only be accurate based on information provided.

It could be that Legend is just a holding name at the moment, it's not uncommon for new build ships to be called something in the build process that doesn't reflect their final registered name.

Until Royal Caribbean actually confirm the name, it is complete speculation and I wouldn't be surprised if Legend is not the name of the ship.

• Like 1

In this thread:

@smokeybandit explained how you can see the website data. Long before there was any other confirmation of any ship being named "Legend", he pointed out that the data base had:

"TR" listed as an unnamed (TBA of the Seas) "IC" (Icon) ship

"LE" as an unnamed (TBA) "OA" (Oasis) ship

"Legend doesn't show up, but since it's now int eh Equasis listing, I think was can assume that "LE" is "Legend of the Seas", however, in the website data, it's supposedly an Oasis class ship, not Icon.

Anyway, since that initial discussion, I thought there was some official announcement of Icon 3 being named Legend. Not seeing anything now, so was that just the Equasis listing? and if so, what information is there associated with the listing that associates it with the Icon class instead of the Oasis class?

BTW, I looked at the data again recently, and TR and LE still have not been updated or altered in any way, however, there is now a 4th Icon class with the code "HE". First thing that popped into my mind was "Hero"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...