How strict is NCL About what time you have to be back aboard?

All of these caveats  are good advice. Fortunately, the tour that I was referring to was the Anne Frank House. There is no tour bus involved. I will have a 1:45 pm ticket and plan to stay about 2 hours max. I believe it's a short cab ride back to the ship. I should  be back on the ship long before last call. 

• Like 3

just confirming... you have your ticket already for the anne frank house?

they go on sale exactly six weeks before the day of the visit. no tickets sold on the premises. i'm sure you knew that, but just checking. two hours is a long time in the museum, unless you spend time time in the cafe. it is indeed a short cab ride back, but it's also walkable... the whole city is walkable, if you have no mobility concerns.

the very last room of the museum has a video with otto frank, filmed in the 70s i think, for american television, if memory serves. don't miss it. he makes a rather simple but stunning comment about not just his daughter, but about all children.

• Like 2

In Bergen last summer, my DW wanted us to go to one last attraction, the Funicular. I thought we would be cutting it close, but could not say not to her. Luckily, the Hop on Hop off bus came almost immediately, after we left there. 

We got back on board maybe 15 minutes or so before the all aboard time. I commented to her that we cut it close. Her answer was that there were a lot of passengers in the boarding line behind us. I am assuming that they will not raise the gangplank while people are still in line, so that is my contribution to this thread.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UKstages said:

just confirming... you have your ticket already for the anne frank house?

they go on sale exactly six weeks before the day of the visit. no tickets sold on the premises. i'm sure you knew that, but just checking. two hours is a long time in the museum, unless you spend time time in the cafe. it is indeed a short cab ride back, but it's also walkable... the whole city is walkable, if you have no mobility concerns.

the very last room of the museum has a video with otto frank, filmed in the 70s i think, for american television, if memory serves. don't miss it. he makes a rather simple but stunning comment about not just his daughter, but about all children.

Thanks for that information.  No, I don't have tickets yet. I will have my alarm clock set for 4am edt, which is 10am Amsterdam time on May 14, exactly 6 weeks before we get to Amsterdam. I want make sure I get tickets. 

If I don't spend 2 hours there I will just get back to the ship earlier. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, hallux said:

Airline pilots don't make that decision, that's the operations people on the ground.

The ship captain knew exactly how long he COULD wait, based on advice of the local pilots (if tides locally might be an issue), knowledge of how much time he needs to get to the next port, etc.  Those shows artificially elevated the drama, and the (late) passengers were certainly helped in that I believe they were on ship-sponsored excursions...

Much of those shows are staged to create drama no doubt.  I remember the Oasis of the Seas and the drama the captain would not be able to dock the ship for the first time.  I bet he was very capable and knew he was not going to have problems.  The fireworks on the Breakaway was unnecessary drama t oo.  But it makes for good TV.

I know people that were involved in police fugitive hunting programs and the arrest is real.  But then they film backwards and create a story of police doing an investigation which had nothing to do that led to the arrest.  But its edited together to make it look like it all pieced together.  What are the chances there are pier runners the day they are filming.  Hmmmmm 🤔

Edited by david_sobe

8 hours ago, AllHandsAstern said:

I feel that "how late can I be and get away with it" is the wrong attitude to have.

Great way to have a romp across Africa tho!

Not that I would have wanted to miss time on the ship, but gosh what interesting travels those people had! Plus, they have a story to tell for a lifetime. It'll be fodder for dinner parties for years to come. I bet they learned a lot about kind people who would help them half a world away from home too. 

15 hours ago, hallux said:

The ship captain knew exactly how long he COULD wait, based on advice of the local pilots (if tides locally might be an issue), knowledge of how much time he needs to get to the next port, etc.  Those shows artificially elevated the drama, and the (late) passengers were certainly helped in that I believe they were on ship-sponsored excursions...

Agreed! It's not really about how strict NCL is. It's about the circumstances to get to the next port/stay on schedule/get out of the harbor before the next ship, and a myriad of other considerations. I watched all those shows. I really couldn't tolerate the made up drama surrounding late passengers. 

13 hours ago, ticktock01 said:

All of these caveats  are good advice. Fortunately, the tour that I was referring to was the Anne Frank House. There is no tour bus involved. I will have a 1:45 pm ticket and plan to stay about 2 hours max. I believe it's a short cab ride back to the ship. I should  be back on the ship long before last call. 

Based on what you're planning to do, sounds like you'll be in good shape! I just discovered (yes, I'm ignorant) about two weeks ago that Anne Frank was actually captured and died in a concentration camp. My entire life I thought she lived to a ripe old age. Absolutely heartbreaking. 

3 hours ago, ticktock01 said:

Thanks for that information.  No, I don't have tickets yet. I will have my alarm clock set for 4am edt, which is 10am Amsterdam time on May 14, exactly 6 weeks before we get to Amsterdam. I want make sure I get tickets. 

If I don't spend 2 hours there I will just get back to the ship earlier. 

If you dock at the port in Amsterdam, then we two septuagenarians were able to walk from the ship to the Ann Frank House in 30 minutes. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GALSews said:

If you dock at the port in Amsterdam, then we two septuagenarians were able to walk from the ship to the Ann Frank House in 30 minutes. 

Thank you!

Good to know. My wife and I are also septuagenarians.

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Not that I would have wanted to miss time on the ship, but gosh what interesting travels those people had! Plus, they have a story to tell for a lifetime. It'll be fodder for dinner parties for years to come. I bet they learned a lot about kind people who would help them half a world away from home too. 

I expressed the same sentiment to my wife, seems like it could have been a fun time!

Rather than messing with resetting my watch or phone to local times/ship time, my intent is to set an alarm based on hours/minutes, rather than on time, if that makes sense. 

22 minutes ago, OrtonPark said:

Rather than messing with resetting my watch or phone to local times/ship time, my intent is to set an alarm based on hours/minutes, rather than on time, if that makes sense. 

Unless your phone decides to change time on you when you reach a cell tower. I speak from experience. 

Setting a timer should work, calculating hours by current time only works if you know your watch/time settings will block any automatic changes.

34 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Unless your phone decides to change time on you when you reach a cell tower. I speak from experience. 

Setting a timer should work, calculating hours by current time only works if you know your watch/time settings will block any automatic changes.

Hmmm. Maybe I didn’t explain it the way I meant to. Say I leave the ship at 11 AM ship time and all the board time is at 4 PM ship time. My plan is to set an alarm to go off in three hours, as a signal to myself to start heading back to the ship.

The time displayed on my watch doesn’t matter – it is still three hours after 11 AM ship time. 

56 minutes ago, OrtonPark said:

Hmmm. Maybe I didn’t explain it the way I meant to. Say I leave the ship at 11 AM ship time and all the board time is at 4 PM ship time. My plan is to set an alarm to go off in three hours, as a signal to myself to start heading back to the ship.

The time displayed on my watch doesn’t matter – it is still three hours after 11 AM ship time. 

I understand perfectly what you are saying. But if you are setting an ALARM for 3 hours and your phone time changes while onshore, you'll be a hour early/late.

Setting a timer is different.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I understand perfectly what you are saying. But if you are setting an ALARM for 3 hours and your phone time changes while onshore, you'll be a hour early/late.

I manually set my phone time to ship time to avoid this problem.

1 minute ago, AllHandsAstern said:

The easiest way to avoid the issue is to use an analog watch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Ah! Yes - timer is what I meant. 

28 minutes ago, zqvol said:

The easiest way to avoid the issue is to use an analog watch. 

🤦‍♂️, obvious, but too non-techie for some to use. I don't know why.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, AllHandsAstern said:

You're missing the point.  Not everyone understands how their phone clock works. And it varies, depending on the settings and your location.  Plus, if you set your phone to ship time before you get into port, it's not unheard of to have it change to local time, if it happens to be different.

I simply set my cheapie watch to ship time to avoid the problem.

• Like 2

Just turn off automatic update and set the time manually. People seem to just be buying watches to do what your phone will do with a quick setting change.

If you all want to make life hard for yourself then go ahead but this all sounds like a lot of hard work to me.

Subject to issues like mentioned above if an app won’t deal with this of course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Just turn off automatic update and set the time manually. People seem to just be buying watches to do what your phone will do with a quick setting change.

If you all want to make life hard for yourself then go ahead but this all sounds like a lot of hard work to me.

Subject to issues like mentioned above if an app won’t deal with this of course.

This is what I do. Then my watch and phone are set to the correct time for that time zone and/or for ship time, if it differs from local time. And, if my phone connects to a cell tower, it's not going to change the time on my phone as that feature is disabled by setting time zone manually. 

On 5/1/2024 at 4:22 PM, RocketMan275 said:

Have you watched any of the cruise line shows on, IIRC, Discovery channel.  Every episode, regardless of the cruise line, has a scene where the cruise line waits for passengers returning late from shore excursions.  The cruise line, in these scenes, always waits....

Have you considered that these film crews are guests of the cruise line and would not put them in a negative light???? Maybe go to YouTube and watch pier runners get left behind or read the news. 

Just now, BirdTravels said:

Have you considered that these film crews are guests of the cruise line and would not put them in a negative light???? Maybe go to YouTube and watch pier runners get left behind or read the news. 

All reality shows are 'scripted'.  Showing the late-returning guests adds drama. 

My point wasn't that none are left behind.  I was pointing out that if all you watched was these reality shows, you would think the cruise lines will wait on you which encourages late arrivals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

All reality shows are 'scripted'.  Showing the late-returning guests adds drama. 

My point wasn't that none are left behind.  I was pointing out that if all you watched was these reality shows, you would think the cruise lines will wait on you which encourages late arrivals.

Common sense isn't common, and reality shows aren't real, LOL.