New Caledonia locked down.

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It is a mess, not sure I fully understand what the Kanaks actually want.

I'm not sure that they know?? I have known many people who are unhappy - but do not know why and therefore cannot do anything about it. 

2 hours ago, ceeceeDee said:

Can Tanna handle cruise ships?

I don't think Tanna could handle cruise ship passengers 

23 hours ago, arxcards said:

A couple of hours ago, Pac Adventure changed course and appears to be heading for Mare or Lifou. They were going to Mystery Island tomorrow, so it looks like an itinerary shuffle. I am thinking Mare, although maybe the locals have given assurance and they are getting Lifou out of the way while they can.

As with Mic's thoughts of another Vanuatu port, it would also be the most direct course to Luganville.

In Vila today, a day early. Mystery Island skipped but may be planned later in the cruise. Let's see what comes next.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Splendour left Sydney yesterday but had to return due to a medical emergency.  A 50 year old male had a fall and had major head injuries. Hope he is okay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Splendour left Sydney yesterday but had to return due to a medical emergency.  A 50 year old male had a fall and had major head injuries. Hope he is okay.

I hope the guy is alright too. They are currently on a cruise to nowhere, and Sydney Harbour will be a nice distraction for the other cruisers. I see Splendor is heading back to pick up another pilot outside Sydney Heads, and hope it isn't for another medevac. She is expected in the harbour soon for a short stay.

On 5/16/2024 at 10:45 AM, SinbadThePorter said:

I think that the problem is a disparity between the first world lives of the French expatriates and the third world lives of most of the native born Kanaks.

Correct.

"Indigenous"

As with any colonised country that has been treated as a 2nd class citizen, well lower (actual slavery) on their own land would feel. 

Just some shipping news. Yes, as mentioned it is secondary to the problems in New Caledonia, but it is a cruise forum and two of the most prolific ports are in New Caledonia. I don't think anyone here would be feel that their right to cruise there is more important than the locals in New Caledonia, but the cruise lines are slow to communicate their "plan B".

Carnival Splendor has departed for the Islands this evening. They have altered their ports for the current cruise to Santo (Champagne Bay would be nice but likely to be Luganville) and Port Vila.

Pacific Adventure hasn't added extra alternate ports. The stops were Port Vila & 2 days at Mystery Island. They are bound for Sydney with a slow cruise back or an early arrival. As expected, they are skipping both Lifou & Noumea. I have yet to read, but I believe there is another thread for P&O repatriating passengers stuck on Vanuatu due to their airline being grounded.

Pacific Encounter has called at Mystery Island & ports in Fiji, as was their schedule. They have Port Vila next, then will skip Lifou and return to Brisbane.

It looks like both P&O and Carnival will try to keep cruising to the Islands, but with alternate ports. With only three ships during the off-season, they should be able to avoid bumping into each other.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I'm not due in Noumea (twice on the same cruise for some bizarre reason) until Jul on Splendor.

Wonder what'll happen by then.

19 minutes ago, Haoie said:

I'm not due in Noumea (twice on the same cruise for some bizarre reason) until Jul on Splendor.

I think that is the same itinerary as was planned for the current cruise. Even if the issues in Noumea are resolved by then, I think it will be some time before ships resume their calls there.

At this stage, I would suggest that you will have Port Vila, Mystery Island and Luganville or something similar.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Picking up one of the other island ports instead of Noumea is a win IMO

We're due in New Caledonia around Christmas. If there is a change of itinerary, it really won't bother us. Been twice before so we know what we're 'missing'.

• Like 2

I’ve often heard that the reason that seemingly all Sth Pacific islands cruises call to Noumea is that it is a fueling point for the ships. Is this true? Does the ships not carry enough fuel for 7/8/9 days round trip from Sydney?

I actually really like Noumea. We have seem pretty much there is to see, but love the views across Lemon Bay enjoying a nice local brew at La Barca as the world passes by. 

• Like 5

We’ve had some great port days at Noumea but it’s somewhere that you need to go with a plan. Do your research and have a plan. 

I believe that one of the reasons cruise ships have continued to call there is because they are able to take on good quality water. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Haoie said:

I had this on an itinerary last year.  It was very nice to do the Amedee Island excursion from Noumea one day and do something else in Noumea on the other port day during our cruise.

hope the issues are resolved by July.

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I’ve often heard that the reason that seemingly all Sth Pacific islands cruises call to Noumea is that it is a fueling point for the ships. Is this true? Does the ships not carry enough fuel for 7/8/9 days round trip from Sydney?

I haven't seen the ships re-fuelling while they are in Noumea and doubt very much that they get fuel there. I am also doubtful about the comment that ships that call at any New Caledonian port have to call into Noumea. I noticed a few P&O future itineraries that call at Lifou but not Noumea so obviously that is OK.

Posted (edited)

I will be on Splendor on the 24th of June. On that trip we will be going to Noumea twice due to skipping Mare. Been to Noumea maybe 7 times now and not needing to go would be a refreshing change. 

Edited by Zetta83
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I haven't seen the ships re-fuelling while they are in Noumea and doubt very much that they get fuel there. I am also doubtful about the comment that ships that call at any New Caledonian port have to call into Noumea. I noticed a few P&O future itineraries that call at Lifou but not Noumea so obviously that is OK.

Ships have taken on fuel and fresh water in Noumea. I haven't taken any notice on more recent visits.

There has been an arrangement with Noumea of sorts, particularly for access to Mare & Isle of Pines. Now that both are currently off the table, there can't be much of an arrangement.

37 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

@arxcards do you know why most  cruiselines  no longer visit Champagne Bay?  I am sure there have been discussions on cc in the past but I’ve obviously missed them.

Such a beautiful place.

It has always been a limited access port, but I don't know if it is a cruise line thing or at the discretion of the locals. It is out of the way on the NE coast of Santo, especially now that other nearby stops such as Pentecost are no longer visited. It is also a tender port with limited facilities, and it needs as many sunlight hours as possible. Now that P&O's ships have gotten larger, it is possible that they can't get everyone onto the island and back in a day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the cruise lines are keeping their cards close to their hand for now, seeing as no announcements have been made beyond the current round of ships. 

It does look pretty bad over there, I have to say.

• Like 1

We are watching this, but not too closely. Our voyage isn't until next year, and a lot can happen in that time. Our itinerary shows 2 stops in New Caledonia and 2 in Vanuatu. I'm not sure whether we would be upset to miss New Caledonia. We have only glanced at the excursions and they didn't jump out at us. I think we will keep that on the back burner for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1