Music in our Suite

Leaving for the Bliss June 8 Alaska departure in a fwd facing Haven suite. 

question:  is there an onboard radio we can plug into?  I assume the Bluetooth is way outside any expectation but is there a radio type unit in the suite and if so is it rca or 3.5mm plug in?  

im leaning toward just bringing a Soundcore brick speaker but it does add weight. 

13 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

No radio. Bring a speaker. Just don't tell anyone here as they'll lambast you. 

We don’t play it loud. Just something to listen to while enjoying an adult beverage or late aftn or even on the balcony.  

But you’re right.  I’m sure I’ll get harassed.  It’s what cruise critic does 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, erisajd said:

We don’t play it loud. Just something to listen to while enjoying an adult beverage or late aftn or even on the balcony.  

But you’re right.  I’m sure I’ll get harassed.  It’s what cruise critic does 

It's not always a matter of getting harassed - sometimes it's just wondering if you've considered that the people in the balcony next to yours might not want to hear your music. Or any music. It's really just a matter of manners.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KansasTexan said:

It's not always a matter of getting harassed - sometimes it's just wondering if you've considered that the people in the balcony next to yours might not want to hear your music. Or any music. It's really just a matter of manners.

No one said they'd be listening to it at maximum volume. I often listen to music quietly, where you can only hear it if within five, or so, feet. Balconies have dividers that block soft sounds. Not all people are careless. I'm not sure why folks on Cruise Critic seem to think everyone that posts something they dislike is careless or doesn't care about others. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KansasTexan said:

Fair enough.  But in a forward facing suite NOBODY can hear you in the living room of your suite. Your bedroom is to your left.  Nothing in front. And to the right is your balcony.   To the rear is the hallway.   So. All I do is introduce myself to the person in the balcony cabin next to me and have them tell me if I am disturbing them.  

But you bring up a good point.  Perhaps we will keep the TV on too.  

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, erisajd said:

On one hand, you will only have balcony neighbors on one side. On the other hand, sound travels in more than one direction.

If the volume level is such that others above, below, or next to you aren't disturbed, it shouldn't be a problem. If a neighbor does complain, you should lower the volume.

Inside of the stateroom, it would be no different than watching TV. Loud enough for you but not loud enough to disturb others is fine.

Have you considered airpods, earpods, or something similar?

• Like 1

For the folk like me that love cruising but also love quiet we have to adjust to the noise on cruises. While we understand that cruises are gloriously noisy it isn’t perhaps unreasonable to expect our balcony might provide a little respite and that folk use headphones. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm not sure why folks on Cruise Critic seem to think everyone that posts something they dislike is careless or doesn't care about others. 

Because more and more society is becoming unable to see anything but their own point of view.  It's all about them.  And for too many, the best way to make themselves feel better is to put others down.  

Just let it be known, if I can hear your music I might just come join you at the party.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

On one hand, you will only have balcony neighbors on one side. On the other hand, sound travels in more than one direction.

If the volume level is such that others above, below, or next to you aren't disturbed, it shouldn't be a problem. If a neighbor does complain, you should lower the volume.

Inside of the stateroom, it would be no different than watching TV. Loud enough for you but not loud enough to disturb others is fine.

Have you considered airpods, earpods, or something similar?

Where did I ask about the balcony?

8 minutes ago, Nilbog said:

Because more and more society is becoming unable to see anything but their own point of view.  It's all about them.  And for too many, the best way to make themselves feel better is to put others down.  

Just let it be known, if I can hear your music I might just come join you at the party.  

Ok. You’re welcome. If you can hear it outside my stateroom in the middle of the day you’re welcome. 

I note to everyone I asked about options in the stateroom. stop adding facts so you can create a strawman to complain about. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, erisajd said:

Ok. You’re welcome. If you can hear it outside my stateroom in the middle of the day you’re welcome. 

I note to everyone I asked about options in the stateroom. stop adding facts so you can create a strawman to complain about. 

I'm with you.....but.....you did say balcony.

2 hours ago, erisajd said:

listen to while enjoying an adult beverage or late aftn or even on the balcony.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Nilbog said:

Oh gosh! If you're into Rogue Valley, Shawn Mendes, Nirvana, Foster the People, Otis Redding, Avril LaVigne, One Direction, Edward Sharpe (and whoever), Jack Johnson, Josh Turner, Taylor Swift...then you're welcome anytime!! Party on! 🥳

And, you do make a good point that many folks do think only of themselves. Not sure that's a new development though - I remember it from growing up (granted I'm well...41 - eeeeek it's weird to say that)!

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, erisajd said:

question:  is there an onboard radio we can plug into?  I assume the Bluetooth is way outside any expectation but is there a radio type unit in the suite and if so is it rca or 3.5mm plug in?  

im leaning toward just bringing a Soundcore brick speaker but it does add weight. 

Bring the Bluetooth speaker. We have 4 to choose from that we travel with --

1) A small, no name BT speaker cube (about 2.5" on each side). Sound quality is just ok, but it is better than listening from our phones. 
2) A super small BT speaker / white noise machine. Sound quality is about the same as the cube, but it has the added benefit of playing masking sounds if we need it to help us sleep.
3) A Bose SoundLink Flex portable speaker and a Bose Soundlink Revolve+ speaker. Significantly better sound quality, portable, waterproof. Great for beach days or water activities. Also heavier, though, so we only take it on itineraries where we know we will get some use out of it (a cabana on GSC is a perfect place for it).

• Like 1

I have a question.

If someone playing some music through a small speaker so that it can be heard by the people in the room will ruin people’s peace and quiet, why do NCL put TVs in every cabin?

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

I have a question.

If someone playing some music through a small speaker so that it can be heard by the people in the room will ruin people’s peace and quiet, why do NCL put TVs in every cabin?

No one is bringing the TV out onto the balcony and imposing their viewing choices on the other balconies near them.  Playing your music on the balcony is an imposition on those around you.  Watching TV or listening to music in your cabin at an excessively loud volume is also an imposition.  But no one here was saying listening to music in your cabin at normal levels was impacting other's peace and quiet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, gizfish said:

No one is bringing the TV out onto the balcony and imposing their viewing choices on the other balconies near them.  Playing your music on the balcony is an imposition on those around you.  Watching TV or listening to music in your cabin at an excessively loud volume is also an imposition.  But no one here was saying listening to music in your cabin at normal levels was impacting other's peace and quiet.

I actually agree with you. I know it’s a touchy subject, but I don’t want to hear music from adjacent balcony’s when I’m on my balcony. I like to Sun, nap or read during the afternoon. I’ve had some challenging situations over the years. More than a few times, I’ve had to go back inside my cabin and/or go to the spa to relax.  I’m 65 years old! I can somewhat remember how it was to party hardy 😁, but I don’t want to listen to rap, or Taylor Swift while I’m trying to relax. Nothing against either, but not my choice. I don’t want to hear you blasting music on your balcony in the evening hours either, but that would be more tolerable than the afternoons. 

For me, it’s up there with cigar smoking on the balcony! Thank God they permanently put an end to that! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gizfish said:

The assumption from many is that if anyone is going to take a speaker along then they WILL play it loud or on their balcony.

I have to say that I had missed the mention of the balcony by the OP. I incorrectly thought that this was one of these threads where someone asks an innocent question and gets lots of grief from others because they make assumptions about what will be doing.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone taking a speaker along on a cruise.

Playing it too loud or on their balcony is absolutely wrong, in my opinion.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Not sure why TV even coming into play.  Seeing the channel selection will not induce you to watch it.

That sure hasn't stopped some of my cabin neighbours keeping it on pretty much 24/7. 

It doesn't have to be loud. I have excellent hearing and I don't want to hear someone else's musical choices.  As an earlier poster said it is all about manners.  Use earbuds.

• Like 2