Passport Turnaround time

4 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, it does bother me. But so what? That's my issue. If I had a bona fide need to renew 4 months early then it wouldn't bother me. What would bother me is renewing it 4 months early just to renew it early. 

In my case I would renew it at least a couple of months before expiration to insure that I always had a valid one … just in case.  We are only talking about two or three dollars’ worth of time here.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

In my case I would renew it at least a couple of months before expiration to insure that I always had a valid one … just in case.  We are only talking about two or three dollars’ worth of time here.

If everything I read on these forums is accurate, the passport becomes essentially useless 6 months before the expiration date.   Depending on travel plans, that has to be built into the equation.  

A passport renewal is currently $130 which equates to $13 annually or $1.0833 a month. If one "wastes" 4 months of validity it would come to $4.33 down the drain. If that amount is daunting perhaps one shouldn't be traveling since the cost of international travel would be considerably more.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

And that works for your needs.

1 hour ago, Luvcrusn said:

A passport renewal is currently $130 which equates to $13 annually or $1.0833 a month. If one "wastes" 4 months of validity it would come to $4.33 down the drain. If that amount is daunting perhaps one shouldn't be traveling since the cost of international travel would be considerably more.

Meh.

Passports are not on the easy payment plan.  It is $130 up front.  It is normal for us common folk to not pay for something until it is due.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Passports are not on the easy payment plan.  It is $130 up front.  It is normal for us common folk to not pay for something until it is due.   

No one is forced to renew at a particular time. My point was that having a passport which is valid for at least 6 months allows a traveler to make travel plans with the knowledge that they are "good to go" at the last minute.  I was just offering an alternative view about the cost or "wasted value."

• Like 1

No one is forced to renew at a particular time. My point was that having a passport which is valid for at least 6 months allows a traveler to make travel plans with the knowledge that they are "good to go" at the last minute.  I was just offering an alternative view about the cost or "wasted value."

I agree with that.  In fact I said something very similar.   I don't agree with the implication that someone who chooses to not waste their dollars should not be traveling.       

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I agree with that.  In fact I said something very similar.   I don't agree with the implication that someone who chooses to not waste their dollars should not be traveling.       

I wasn't suggesting that anyone shouldn't be traveling,  but can see how my post could be interpreted that way. I was just saying that if "wasting" $4 was a big issue international travel might be prohibitive. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I wasn't suggesting that anyone shouldn't be traveling,  but can see how my post could be interpreted that way. I was just saying that if "wasting" $4 was a big issue international travel might be prohibitive. 

Thank you.  I misunderstood.  

I think we can all agree if someone does not want to waste $4 it does not mean they cannot afford $4.  I elect to pay an annual vessel tax by check because I don't want to pay the $7.50 extra if I used a credit card.  It has nothing to do with my ability to pay $7.50.  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Thank you.  I misunderstood.  

I think we can all agree if someone does not want to waste $4 it does not mean they cannot afford $4.  I elect to pay an annual vessel tax by check because I don't want to pay the $7.50 extra if I used a credit card.  It has nothing to do with my ability to pay $7.50.  

I guess I should have just said it's worth it to me to "waste" $4 for the luxury of knowing that I have a valid passport available to travel last minute. Personal choice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I guess I should have just said it's worth it to me to "waste" $4 for the luxury of knowing that I have a valid passport available to travel last minute. Personal choice.

That is a choice many make.  Just a convenience thing.  We actually renewed something like 14 months in advance simply because we have travel stacked up and now is the window of renewal opportunity.  I may be repeating myself.  Seems like it anyway.  If so, Oops!  😀

• Haha 1

I mailed our passport renewal applications from our little rural post office on Monday, May 20. The State Department cautions that routine processing take 6-8 weeks after they receive the application.

We received our new passports today, exactly two weeks after we put them in the mail. Keep in mind that Memorial Day weekend was last weekend.

Of course I don't want to encourage anybody to wait until the last minute, but good work, State Department! And the US Postal Service!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, IPB4IGO said:

I mailed our passport renewal applications from our little rural post office on Monday, May 20. The State Department cautions that routine processing take 6-8 weeks after they receive the application.

We received our new passports today, exactly two weeks after we put them in the mail. Keep in mind that Memorial Day weekend was last weekend.

Of course I don't want to encourage anybody to wait until the last minute, but good work, State Department! And the US Postal Service!

We got ours pretty quickly, too. Our trip isn’t until July 2025 though.  My sister is the last one needing to renew hers, and I have it as a To Do for her this year, LOL.  

i did it from usa and paid the extra $60 to expedite as my trip was 2 months away and it said 6 to 8 weeks from receipt and i did not want to worry....got passport back in two weeks...i suspect the 6 to 8 weeks is rare but overall it was worth $60 to not be sweating bullets with no passport when came time to leave....but best case is go ahead and renew well in advance with no trip planned and save the $60...

• Like 2

• Host Kat changed the title to Passport Turnaround time
Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 7:19 PM, IPB4IGO said:

we got the email that they received our application for renewal on 5/17.  They have already cashed our check but to date (6/10) we have not received our new passports….😢😢

hopefully soon….

Edited by GTO-Girl

I hope the fast trend continues into fall. WE have to renew our passports as soon as we are back from our October cruise in time for our late March one. Current passport expires Sept 2025. 

3 hours ago, sedbandmom said:

Passport renewal application (not expedited) received by passport office on June 5. Received new passport on June 13. 

....so u got yours non expedited in ONE week? seems i wasted $60 on expeditied version which took two weeks...interesting

On 5/23/2024 at 10:12 AM, mnocket said:

For those of you renewing your passports, don't make my mistake and forget to check the box to get the bigger passport with more pages.

I have been getting the extra pages book because of business travel to countries that required a visa - single entry visa to China took a whole page so by the time they stamped entry and exit plus the US stamp on return, one trip took 2 pages. 

Now that most countries do electronic visas and with less stamping, I don't expect to need the bigger book ever again and I'm glad to have something thinner.

We did our passport renewal last month.  It was received by the passport office on May 17th…….today is June 16th and we are still waiting…..

Our check has been cashed….