Not having a good introduction to Princess....

KaiBlue

We booked our first Princess cruise last December for the far-off date of June 2025.  So far, using the old and now new app and website has been clunky/glitchy at best.  Very difficult to see what you have already paid for (you have to go all over the place to find the information).  Yesterday, we noticed that the one excursion that we had already booked through Princess had the time changed when looking at it in the app.  I used the chat function today and was told that they didn't see the original time we had booked.  They obviously canceled the time we had booked but we got no notice of this change.  And to boot, none of the 'view excursion' buttons are working to check it for myself (I used 2 different browsers over the course of the last 24 hours and still not working).  Representative told me it was because too many people are using the function at the same time.  That doesn't sound like a reasonable excuse but perhaps it is given how terrible the app/website is.  Anyone else not able to access the 'view excursions' pages?  I have to cancel this excursion now and hoping it goes back to my credit card and doesn't become an issue.....

Sorry that happened to you. For the past few days the “view excursions “ function has not been functioning! Hope your issue gets straightened out soon and you enjoy your cruise.

seachelt

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Somebody mentioned that it works on Chrome.

It has not been working on my browser, but has been working on the new APP.

Yes, some of this stuff regarding customer service..  (no notice on excursion) is pretty bad with Princess.  I think many of us just deal with that now, as we know that the onboard experience is better!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

You’re still using the old App?  You should delete that, do not do anything on it.

Clear your cache/history first on your phone or iPad first.

The new App…make sure to delete and reinstall, data may be mixed up.  If you missed any updates, that will take care of that issue.

I use my iphone, safari and no problems right now.  I do clear cache website data all the time.

Also, to see what you paid for, go to the website, cruise personalizer, travel summary.  Print travel summary and you’ll have a list of what you have paid for.  Screenshot it and print it out before travel.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KaiBlue said:

Anyone else not able to access the 'view excursions' pages? 

Yes, I have had and currently have this issue.  UGH!  The Princess website and App are just so wonky and they don't seem to be able to do anything or don't care to anything about it.  When Chrome does not work for excursion browsing/booking I have found that the best chance is on MS Edge, which is my most disliked/unused browser.  

41 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

You’re still using the old App?  You should delete that, do not do anything on it.

The new App…make sure to delete and reinstall, data may be mixed up.  If you missed any updates, that will take care of that issue.

I use my iphone, safari and no problems right now.  I do clear cache website data all the time.

Also, to see what you paid for, go to the website, cruise personalizer, travel summary.  Print travel summary and you’ll have a list of what you have paid for.  Screenshot it and print it out before travel.

This ☝️ 

And, you’re not using a travel agent, why?

9 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

This ☝️ 

And, you’re not using a travel agent, why?

I Hate it when people say this.  Some people like to do things for themselves.  As for me, I do both, it just depends.  But, my TA doesn't do excursions.  I don't consider that her job. 

Anyway, the excursion thing has been messed up.  I was finally able to book an excursion last night on the website but I am unable to look at previously booked excursions on Chrome, FireFox or the app.  

• Like 7

The only problem, if you can call it that, is an excursion we had booked for the first day in New York which was actually an evening excursion around the City with an hour in Times Square to shop or whatever ended up being switched to the second day. All very well you may think except that the ship sailed for it's next port of call at 18.00 hrs and the excursion starts at 19.00 hrs until 23.00 hrs. Doh. We also recently had two ports of call taken from the cruise one in Maine and the other St.John's Newfoundland and replaced with two in France. One we had an excursion booked, but I am not sure where the payment has gone as I think it came out of our OBC but that amount hasn't changed. The two new ports of call despite these changes happening getting on for two weeks ago still have no excursions available.   

@Cruisemeister2002 Wow - that's some crazy mix ups by Princess!  We tend to book non-cruise ship excursions and I'm leaning toward doing that again on this cruise.

Everyone - thank you for all of the suggestions.  I am currently using the new app - but will have to uninstall and reinstall if it's not working in a few days.  When we booked this cruise, it was under the old app but I have since deleted that.  Sounds like the excursion issue is happening for others and not just me.  I've tried both Edge and Chrome with no luck but will also have to try clearing out the cache which i haven't tried yet.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I didn't use a travel agent because frankly, I haven't felt the need to in many many years. I have an excellent current rep for Carnival and also had one for Royal but haven't cruised them in awhile.  I am a hands-on planner for our land vacations and didn't see the need to use a TA and get a person in the middle of the equation.  

• Like 3

Update:  I cleared my cache and was able to open the excursion pages for the ports by right clicking and asking it to open in a new tab - but they are all blank.  Perhaps there is an update or something going on for our sailing - who knows.  I'll wait it out and see if the issue resolves.  

Thank you @PacnGoNow for the tip about printing the travel summary! That is exactly what I needed to see everything in one spot (and mostly to confirm what I have already booked).  Wish it was this easy just by looking at the personalizer)....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KaiBlue said:

@Cruisemeister2002 Wow - that's some crazy mix ups by Princess!  We tend to book non-cruise ship excursions and I'm leaning toward doing that again on this cruise.

Everyone - thank you for all of the suggestions.  I am currently using the new app - but will have to uninstall and reinstall if it's not working in a few days.  When we booked this cruise, it was under the old app but I have since deleted that.  Sounds like the excursion issue is happening for others and not just me.  I've tried both Edge and Chrome with no luck but will also have to try clearing out the cache which i haven't tried yet.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I didn't use a travel agent because frankly, I haven't felt the need to in many many years. I have an excellent current rep for Carnival and also had one for Royal but haven't cruised them in awhile.  I am a hands-on planner for our land vacations and didn't see the need to use a TA and get a person in the middle of the equation.  

We tend to book direct now with P&O or currently Princess. In the UK their main office is in Southampton for them both. Excursions I log on to the Princess website and book them. Normally we don't book that many excursions through the cruise line. I think we have 11 ports of call and have booked four excursion. We docked in New York a few years ago, got a taxi to where the water taxi's take you to the Statue of Liberty and then on to Ellis Island, we then returned, walked through Battery Park, got another taxi to Macy's apartment store then another taxi back to the ship and save 50% on what P&O were charging for the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. They were restricted time wise, we had as long as we wanted.

11 minutes ago, KaiBlue said:

Update:  I cleared my cache and was able to open the excursion pages for the ports by right clicking and asking it to open in a new tab - but they are all blank.  Perhaps there is an update or something going on for our sailing - who knows.  I'll wait it out and see if the issue resolves.  

Thank you @PacnGoNow for the tip about printing the travel summary! That is exactly what I needed to see everything in one spot (and mostly to confirm what I have already booked).  Wish it was this easy just by looking at the personalizer)....

You may also be a little early for excursions on that June 2025 cruise. 

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Allow me a dumb question.  Talking about iPad or Mac, is deleting history the same as clearing the cache?  

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Allow me a dumb question.  Talking about iPad or Mac, is deleting history the same as clearing the cache?  

Deleting history is what you want to do.   Cache is a component of data. Clears cookies, temporary downloads, etc.  In other words, clearing the slate, cleaning it up, etc.

Sometimes, I see the PCL App getting clogged up…no kidding…and people have issues. Helps sometimes..,Not always.

So, depending on what device you are using.  Iphone, clear history and website data, example.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Deleting history is what you want to do.   Cache is a component of data. Clears cookies, temporary downloads, etc.  In other words, clearing the slate, cleaning it up, etc.

Sometimes, I see the PCL App getting clogged up…no kidding…and people have issues. Helps sometimes..,Not always.

So, depending on what device you are using.  Iphone, clear history and website data, example.

Thanks!  PCL App = Princess Cruise Line (took me a minute, lol).  

4 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

Somebody mentioned that it works on Chrome.

It has not been working on my browser, but has been working on the new APP.

Yes, some of this stuff regarding customer service..  (no notice on excursion) is pretty bad with Princess.  I think many of us just deal with that now, as we know that the onboard experience is better!

Funny. On my iPad it tends to fail on Chrome and work on Safari.

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yeah, but it should work regardless, and I don’t want to clear all that. I like being able to search my browsing history.

6 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

Yeah, but it should work regardless, and I don’t want to clear all that. I like being able to search my browsing history.

😆 Right!  It should…

I like to keep my history clear.

2 hours ago, suekel said:

I Hate it when people say this.  Some people like to do things for themselves.  

Thank you! I much prefer to do my own trip/cruise planning. We tried a TA who was a close family friend about 3 years back (not a cruise.) Many things went off the rails...and this was instance #1! I'll just do my own from now own...ESPECIALLY flights!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Thank you! I much prefer to do my own trip/cruise planning. We tried a TA who was a close family friend about 3 years back (not a cruise.) Many things went off the rails...and this was instance #1! I'll just do my own from now own...ESPECIALLY flights!

Mrs Ldubs prefers to do her own planning too.  She does that and uses a TA.  It is basically the same.  Once plans are complete, instead of booking via Princess' website, she books through the TA's site.  The big difference is we can't book EZAir (or any air for that matter) through our TA.  But we can book the cruise through our TA and EZair via Princess. We have never tried so don't know if we would be able to participate in the cabin bid-up option.  The benefit for us is getting worthwhile fare discounts.  

BTW, I agree about flight arrangements.  That is a part of our travel arrangements where I might get more involved.  Seats/legroom are a deal breaker.   

Edited by ldubs

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

What do you all think if Princess were to eliminate all direct booking in favor of booking only thru TAs?  

If Princess were to do this (I really don't believe that they would...) I think I would have to seriously consider jumping ship to another cruise line. I sure hope this doesn't happen...it wouldn't make any logical business sense!

Just now, Rick&Jeannie said:

If Princess were to do this (I really don't believe that they would...) I think I would have to seriously consider jumping ship to another cruise line. I sure hope this doesn't happen...it wouldn't make any logical business sense!

Aw, that was kind of some blue sky thinking.  I had intended to delete that comment before I hit send but forgot.  So edited it out later.   My thought was why even have Princess' glitchy booking systems when the same thing can be accomplished without the problems.  The reason might be happy customers (once they discover hey can remain in as much control as they want).  But yeah, I don't believe they would do this either.   

I wonder what percent of fares are booked directly vs via TAs.