Does NCL list embassy phone numbers for each port in there daily paper?

46 minutes ago, realnice46 said:

Does NCL list phone numbers of US embassies for each port in daily paper?

I have never seen in in THEIR dailies, may have been there but if s I missed it.

34 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

The Local Port Agent--Yes

US Embassy- No

The Port Agent would probably have that information or could get it quickly.

Thank you

I just got off the Breakaway today and there was a book in the cabin with a list of the embassies. I sort of stumbled on it. On the Breakaway, it was in the magazine holder below the television!

Maybe someone who is reporting live from a ship can confirm this?

Flip

• Like 1

I've never seen any embassy info on an NCL ship.  (I'm not questioning Flip's experience above.)  As noted in a prior comment, the port agent and their contact info is listed in the Freestyle Daily.  Be sure to take that info ashore with you.

Prior to any international travel, I make a list of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate with their contact info.  It's not hard to do. 

Also, well prior to departure, I register our trip with STEP.  (This is most important on a land-based vacation, but it still doesn't hurt to do it for a cruise.)

https://step.state.gov/

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheycallmeFlip said:

I just got off the Breakaway today and there was a book in the cabin with a list of the embassies. I sort of stumbled on it. On the Breakaway, it was in the magazine holder below the television!

That's interesting! Just US embassies or different nationalities'?

There isn't just the issue of which embassies would be listed, but you also have to remember that, unless you are visiting the capital city, there likely wouldn't be a local embassy office for all the different ports. Guessing that the US Embassy to Mexico isn't in Cozumel, Costa Maya, or Cabo San Lucas.

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

I think that it may have had other countries listed but I'm not positive as I was just trying to see what the book was.

3 hours ago, Asawi said:

Part of the 2010 Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act.  Big blue book titled "Norwegian Security and Safety Guide.

Lists Embassies and Consulates all over the world.

4 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I've never seen any embassy info on an NCL ship.  (I'm not questioning Flip's experience above.)  As noted in a prior comment, the port agent and their contact info is listed in the Freestyle Daily.  Be sure to take that info ashore with you.

Prior to any international travel, I make a list of the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate with their contact info.  It's not hard to do. 

Also, well prior to departure, I register our trip with STEP.  (This is most important on a land-based vacation, but it still doesn't hurt to do it for a cruise.)

https://step.state.gov/

Big blue book found in every stateroom of every ship operating in US waters as a result of Senator Jay Rockefeller's (R West Virginia) Cruise Vessel Safety and Security Act passed by the US Congress Summer of 2010.

Never thought about his, but probably something good to have with my other docs (like eDocs, passport, list of meds, etc).  I would think it is something I'd print out before leaving on the cruise.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, www3traveler said:

Part of the 2010 Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act.  Big blue book titled "Norwegian Security and Safety Guide.

Lists Embassies and Consulates all over the world.

57 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Big blue book found in every stateroom of every ship operating in US waters as a result of Senator Jay Rockefeller's (R West Virginia) Cruise Vessel Safety and Security Act passed by the US Congress Summer of 2010.

Thank you, that's fascinating.  I wonder how many guests have ever actually noticed this book, or realized that it contains embassy and consulate information?  And query whether that information is up to date (especially regarding consulate locations).

Here's what appears to be the relevant section of the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2010  (it's on page 124 Stat. 2246):

‘‘(2) EMBASSY AND CONSULATE LOCATIONS.—The owner of a vessel to which this section applies shall provide in each passenger stateroom, and post in a location readily accessible to all crew and in other places specified by the Secretary, information regarding the locations of the United States embassy and each consulate of the United States for each country the vessel will visit during the course of the voyage."

https://www.congress.gov/111/plaws/publ207/PLAW-111publ207.pdf

Edited by Turtles06

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Does NCL list phone numbers of US embassies for each port in daily paper?

Which embassy?

On our cruise last week, there were passengers from holding passports from 65 different countries. 

Did you want the number for the embassy of Spain? Cuba? China? Russia?

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Which embassy?

On our cruise last week, there were passengers from holding passports from 65 different countries. 

Did you want the number for the embassy of Spain? Cuba? China? Russia?

Aside from the snarky reply, it was just a question. Obviously it would be for the ports on a particular cruise. It looks like they only list port agents, so I looked up the ones I might need.

3 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Aside from the snarky reply, it was just a question. 

Ah, the innocent "it was just a question" comment. But wasn't their post "just an answer"? Why is it OK for you, but "snarky" when they do it?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, realnice46 said:

Aside from the snarky reply, it was just a question. Obviously it would be for the ports on a particular cruise. It looks like they only list port agents, so I looked up the ones I might need.

The response was if, when visiting Nassau, should the ship list the phone number of the Russian embassy because there are a lot of Russian citizens as passengers on the cruise?  Or since 20% of the passengers are from the UK, should the ship list the British embassy number?

The point being that there are more people on the ship beyond Americans. On a recent cruise I was on out of Miami, US citizens were less than 25% of the passengers onboard. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The response was if, when visiting Nassau, should the ship list the phone number of the Russian embassy because there are a lot of Russian citizens as passengers on the cruise?  Or since 20% of the passengers are from the UK, should the ship list the British embassy number?

The point being that there are more people on the ship beyond Americans. On a recent cruise I was on out of Miami, US citizens were less than 25% of the passengers onboard. 

That's because they are the contemporary cruisers.

Posted (edited)

Gathering up the embassy/consulate contact numbers for every port we visit is part of my pre-cruise planning. I place the info in an iPhone Note for easy access,

The process takes no more than 10 minutes.

Edited by tscoffey
  • Like 1