Boston in a day

5 hours ago, tarrenel said:

I see Fenway Park does tours and we were thinking about going there. From the port what is the easiest way for 7 people to get there? 

The easiest way would be to split the group into 2 Ubers (I think UberXL is only up to 6 passengers). 

1 hour ago, iheartminniemouse said:

Thank you!  That was the information I was getting from the maps and wanted to be certain since we have never traveled to Boston.  Looking forward to our 2 days of touring the area before the cruise departs!  

Barb

The other good thing, the Silver Line is free if you board at the airport.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2024 at 10:25 PM, Traveling Library said:

... If you want to Uber walk around the Boston Design Center to DryDock Ave. look for street numbers 23 or 25 and call the Uber from there...

Should we arrange to have Uber (or Lyft???) pick us up on DryDock Ave, not Black Falcon Ave?

On 6/19/2024 at 6:18 PM, mort&fran said:

Should we arrange to have Uber (or Lyft???) pick us up on DryDock Ave, not Black Falcon Ave?

Pick up at 23 or 25 DryDock Ave. It is still 2-way there so the Uber or Lyft driver can make a u-turn. Black Falcon Ave is one way and it is chaos with everyone waiting for the cruise shuttle bus, tour buses, and other ride shares. If you can walk around the big white building do so. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Traveling Library said:

Pick up at 23 or 25 DryDock Ave. It is still 2-way there so the Uber or Lyft driver can make a u-turn. Black Falcon Ave is one way and it is chaos with everyone waiting for the cruise shuttle bus, tour buses, and other ride shares. If you can walk around the big white building do so. 

Thank you for that info

On 5/27/2024 at 12:16 PM, latebuyer said:

Due to prohibitive hotel costs, i plan to spend just one day in Boston before cruise.what would you recommend as highlights? Would you recommend hop on hop off bus%?

Yes, the Ho Ho bus is a good option.  If you will have the time, go to North Station and take the commuter rail to Rockport.  It is a beautiful seaside town on the North Shore, and a beautiful train ride, once you pass Salem.  

56 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Yes, the Ho Ho bus is a good option.  If you will have the time, go to North Station and take the commuter rail to Rockport.  It is a beautiful seaside town on the North Shore, and a beautiful train ride, once you pass Salem.  

Went to college in Beverly (Endicott) and yes, it’s a gorgeous area. 

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

We did Boston for a day, and when we were in Boston Common we saw this Asian girl getting filmed and photographed a lot by the duck pond (and Cheers).   Then we got home after the cruise and watched The Bachelorette.   I'm like, "That's the girl!"   I kind of expected to see Sam Malone or Shelley Long when we went to Cheers, but I never expected to see the Bachelorette.

Edited by tetleytea

1 hour ago, queenhcc said:

Is Uber more available than Lyft in the Boston area?

They are both about the same-- most drivers drive for both companies and will switch between them depending on who has the better paying trips. 

I usually check both apps if its a longer/more expensive ride. Sometimes one can be significantly less than the other. For short stuff around Boston they are usually within a couple dollars of each other. 

Do you think if i got going at 8:30am i could do freedom train in morning and museum of fine arts and isabella gardner museum in afternoon? They are only open to 5 the days i'm going.

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Do you think if i got going at 8:30am i could do freedom train in morning and museum of fine arts and isabella gardner museum in afternoon? They are only open to 5 the days i'm going.

It depends on how in depth you want to get with the Freedom Trail-- if you stop everywhere it can take hours. If you walk by most things it can be done in a couple hours. You can speed things up by taking an Uber or ferry to/from Charlestown Navy Yard for the USS Constitution vs walking there. Same goes for getting to the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. 

You can absolutely do both but you will need to cut down on the Freedom Trail to do them both in one day. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks, is the isabella gardner museum worth going to? I want to go to the museum of fine arts to see monets, not so familiar with isabella gardner museum. It may be possible to go on embarkation day but unfortunately it doesn't open until 11 the day i'm there.

Edited by latebuyer

12 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks, is the isabella gardner museum worth going to? I want to go to the museum of fine arts to see monets, not so familiar with isabella gardner museum.

It's quite stunning and well worth going. It's a private collection so definitely a bit more eclectic than a large museum but there are works by Titian, Rembrandt, Whistler, Sargent, Matisse, Manet, etc. 

The building itself is beautiful-- a large scale Venetian palazzo right in Boston. It has a wonderful interior courtyard that makes you feel like you are in Italy. 

All 3?  No way.  Freedom Trail in the AM and one of the museums in the afternoon, sure.  Gardner is easy to do in a few hours.  MFA could take a couple days if you want to see it all

Thanks, mainly at mfa i want to see the monets, i’m not sure if they are in one room. As i said it may work out if embarkation time is later. MFA opens at 10am so i’d have 2.5 hours to spend there if embarkation at 1. Both seem worthwhile!

10 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks, mainly at mfa i want to see the monets, i’m not sure if they are in one room. As i said it may work out if embarkation time is later. MFA opens at 10am so i’d have 2.5 hours to spend there if embarkation at 1. Both seem worthwhile!

I've not done this in Boston, but I highly recommend taking a docent led tour if it fits into your schedule:

Gallery Tours and Talks | Museum of Fine Arts Boston (mfa.org)

We were immersed in Monet's Water Lilies at L'Orangerie in Paris on a tour led by an English-speaking docent. At the Getty, we chose to take the Collection Tour. Ironically, we are Cleveland Museum of Art members, but have yet to join a guided tour there.

Don't think the Gardner museum offers tours.....

15 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Monets are generally in the same room or at least really near each other with the other Impressionists

I am trying to book the trolley tour. My ship does not arrive until 11am and when try to book I am asked which time I want. The buses go every half hour from stop no 1, and the port is no 16. I don't really know which time to pick and I can't get any sense from the live chat on the site. Can any one advise me please?

15 hours ago, Cathygh said:

I am trying to book the trolley tour. My ship does not arrive until 11am and when try to book I am asked which time I want. The buses go every half hour from stop no 1, and the port is no 16. I don't really know which time to pick and I can't get any sense from the live chat on the site. Can any one advise me please?

I just did a pretend booking with Old Town Trolley Boston and all they wanted was the day. If you need to pick a time I’d say noon. Note you may only have time to ride the loop with one or two stops to hop off/on (looks like trolley ends at 4 or 5). Did you have something specific you wanted to see?

On 7/18/2024 at 9:40 PM, latebuyer said:

I’d only do the Gardner and the MFA.  They are near each other on Huntington Ave. Freedom Trail is downtown and not near the MFA and Gardner. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks, what i’m thinking of doing is do a walking tour from 10-12. It ends in copley square and i could eat lunch then uber to the museums. I realize its a lot but with boston hotel prices the way they are i may never get to boston again. I actually have problems with foot pain so definitely spending 5 hours on the freedom trail is not advisable. I will try and read about the museum of fine arts in advance so i know what i want to see there. Any suggestions of must sees there other than monets appreciated! Also any dining suggestins at copley square!

Edited by latebuyer

Posted (edited)

Wow! Just looking at museum of fine arts website. It looks huge! I see what you mean. Actually i had an idea. I could go to museums first then if i left at 4:30 i could see some of the freedom trail until it gets dark at 6:15. I’ll think about it. 

Edited by latebuyer

On 6/21/2024 at 5:47 PM, Traveling Library said:

Slightly off topic, we will be arriving in Boston with our rental car and the plan was to drop me plus luggage at the cruise terminal. If we could drop off luggage and weather is nice I will join hubby and we will walk back from Atlantic Avenue after returning rental car.

Based on above should we program 23/25 DryDock Ave instead of Black Falcon.

Prefer as little stress as possible pre cruise and don’t want to be late returning hire car.

thanks