Transfer of free internet minutes

I am elite status and I believe I get 90 free internet minutes. Someone I am traveling with (different cabin and different last name) is elite plus and recieves 240 internet minutes. However, she purchased the internet package so she doesn't need the 240 minutes.   Is there a way she can transfer those 240 minutes over to me? Thank you!

1 hour ago, CruiserQ123 said:

I am elite status and I believe I get 90 free internet minutes. Someone I am traveling with (different cabin and different last name) is elite plus and recieves 240 internet minutes. However, she purchased the internet package so she doesn't need the 240 minutes.   Is there a way she can transfer those 240 minutes over to me? Thank you!

Once on board your friend can sign on to their Elite+ wif account by entering their cabin number and creating a password. Once that's done, provided they are logged out at the time, you should be able to login using the same password. Once you have used your friends minutes create your own account to use your Elite minutes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Once on board your friend can sign on to their Elite+ wif account by entering their cabin number and creating a password. Once that's done, provided they are logged out at the time, you should be able to login using the same password. Once you have used your friends minutes create your own account to use your Elite minutes. 

but it seems that the 240 free minutes must be used up first before she uses her included free wifi so not so simple

• Like 3

3 hours ago, the penguins said:

Thank you

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

but it seems that the 240 free minutes must be used up first before she uses her included free wifi so not so simple

Thank you. Is that written somewhere?

That would be a complete waste of the 240 free minutes. 

Edited by CruiserQ123

1 minute ago, CruiserQ123 said:

yes , in the fine print. It has been discussed here a few times so you may find it

2 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

yes , in the fine print. It has been discussed here a few times so you may find it

Ok, I will search. I don't often use cruisecritic. Thanks again. 

17 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

I remember reading that by getting help from someone in the iLounge it is possible to have two accounts - one for the paid minutes and one for the free minutes.  We aren’t traveling until September but I was sort of counting on keeping my 90 free minutes separate to be able to use if I needed my phone and laptop at the same time.

Did your friend use their use the Elite +  discount to purchase or upgrade their wi-fi?  That may negate them having the free minutes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

as far as I know you can swop between the 2 packages the only difference being that the free minutes are at premium rate whereas the package /paid for minutes are at the basic speed. The big problem might be that both people couldn't be on at the same time.

3 hours ago, CruiserQ123 said:

That would be a complete waste of the 240 free minutes. 

which is why if you have the Elite + minutes it's probably better to wait until you board and use it as a discount on a full package - of course that wouldn't help you. 

If you used the Elite discount you have to use the free minutes first.  If not you don’t need to use them at all and can transfer by giving the user and password

Doing that can be very dangerous.   You can log on and log off saving the minutes but you need to make sure that you are logged off and not just turning off.   If you are logged on and think you are discounted you can very easily exceed the free minutes.   You will be charged per minute over.    Can be a very expensive lesson to the person giving away their minutes and the other party.    I know that people have exceeded their minutes by mistake of not logging off and the employee in the internet lounge will waive the excess fee.   It may be hard to explain if you give them away to someone.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks everyone! I know on Royal Carribean you can transfer your free minutes to another passenger and both use it at the same time. After the alotted time is up, it throws you off and doesn't allow you to go over. 

I would think celebrity would do that also, since you have earned that. 

I'm not sure if I should make a new post for this but I'll try here first. 

Can the traveling group text with each other if we don't all the have an internet package?

For Royal Carribean, we can message each other through the Royal App (although it's often delayed or there is a glitch). 

2 of us have Android and 1 has Apple. 

Thanks!

On 6/1/2024 at 4:38 PM, CruiserQ123 said:

Thanks everyone! I know on Royal Carribean you can transfer your free minutes to another passenger and both use it at the same time. After the alotted time is up, it throws you off and doesn't allow you to go over. 

I would think celebrity would do that also, since you have earned that. 

Royal doesn't give you minutes it gives you days  - you get 24 hours from the time you log on. Even if you use just 1 minute the your time expires 24 hours later. X gives you minutes which if you prepare everything off line, log in, send and log out can easily be spread over a whole cruise. As a couple we activate one lot of minutes and share them (we can't be on at the same time). When one lot of minutes is finished either activate the second lot or, if you need more minutes use the perk as a discount on a full package as by then there is often a special offer for the remaining cruise days - even on a 14 night cruise we have never used both lots of free minutes. You must log out or your minutes will just "disappear".

On 6/1/2024 at 1:43 AM, CruiserQ123 said:

I am elite status and I believe I get 90 free internet minutes. Someone I am traveling with (different cabin and different last name) is elite plus and receives 240 internet minutes. However, she purchased the internet package so she doesn't need the 240 minutes.   Is there a way she can transfer those 240 minutes over to me? Thank you!

There is NO WAY to do what you want to do. The reason being is one can only create one signon and password combination. When you do that you can either choose to activate free Elite+ minutes or activate the pre-purchased unlimited Wifi package - you can't do both simultaneously, nor can you create a second wifi account. 

16 hours ago, CruiserQ123 said:

I'm not sure if I should make a new post for this but I'll try here first. 

Can the traveling group text with each other if we don't all the have an internet package?

For Royal Carribean, we can message each other through the Royal App (although it's often delayed or there is a glitch). 

2 of us have Android and 1 has Apple. 

Thanks!

Yes , in the Celebrity app there is a texting option @ no extra cost , 

the last time I was on RCL there was a charge to use the texting option 

1 minute ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Royal Caribbean now has the app texting option at no charge.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

The one problem with Celebrity's texting within the app is there is no audible notification so unless you are actually looking at the app, you don't know you have a message. Oh, it also only works if both parties have the app and have messaging enabled.  Little details.

Edited by Mr. Click

1 hour ago, Mr. Click said:

The one problem with Celebrity's texting within the app is there is no audible notification so unless you are actually looking at the app, you don't know you have a message. Oh, it also only works if both parties have the app and have messaging enabled.  Little details.

1/2 the my iPhone does give me notifications with texts already 🤣

if both people are on the cruise,  and want to text without wifi they probably already have the Celebrity app download 😉

When we were on Celebrity Edge in May 2024, the staff at the iLounge helped us with activation to create 2 accounts for hubby and I so we could log in our own iPhone and used our Elite premium wifi whenever we wanted to send out videos, photos or downloaded videos received on WhatsApp. Then we logged out and signed to our own 2nd account with the basic wifi ease kept that on all the time to for texting and checking emails. We didn’t use all of the 90 minutes free wifi for Elite. We’re getting 240 minutes free wifi due to Elite Plus on our next cruise and also have the Basic Wifi as this next cruise was booked 2 years ago when there were 3 perks available. 

17 minutes ago, Winter2010 said:

When we were on Celebrity Edge in May 2024, the staff at the iLounge helped us with activation to create 2 accounts for hubby and I so we could log in our own iPhone and used our Elite premium wifi whenever we wanted to send out videos, photos or downloaded videos received on WhatsApp. Then we logged out and signed to our own 2nd account with the basic wifi ease kept that on all the time to for texting and checking emails. We didn’t use all of the 90 minutes free wifi for Elite. We’re getting 240 minutes free wifi due to Elite Plus on our next cruise and also have the Basic Wifi as this next cruise was booked 2 years ago when there were 3 perks available. 

We have had that done also,but it's totally up to the ILounge people whether or not they are willing to create a second login account. There's nothing written that they gave to do this. 

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

We have had that done also,but it's totally up to the ILounge people whether or not they are willing to create a second login account. There's nothing written that they gave to do this. 

That’s good to know so we won’t get upset when we couldn’t do the same on our next cruise.

17 minutes ago, Winter2010 said:

That’s good to know so we won’t get upset when we couldn’t do the same on our next cruise.

When you ask about it don't say you're trying to give it to someone else.