Princess “Formal” Nights

Wiseask

2 hours ago, cruisinsince75 said:

How about this?  🤪 

The Canadian Tuxedo | Brian HarPeru

With a shirt he would be allowed to eat at any table in the DR on formal nights.

@Wiseask:  We were just on the Apex in February, followed by 2 Princess cruises, and I'd say that the clothes that both DH and I bring on either line are pretty identical.

DH was overjoyed to say bye bye to bringing a tux, and then subsequently to bringing a jacket on a cruise.  He wears dress pants and a long sleeved dress shirts for the dressier nights, on both X and Princess.  As for me, dressy black pants with various dressy tops for "formal" nights.  As most have said, smart casual dress will be appropriate for all nights.  Nothing wrong, though, with being a little dressier if you feel like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Shorts and tshirts and ball caps are not appropriate in the MDR at dinner IMHO.

Agree 100%!  I can't imagine that anyone would think that's appropriate in any way.  (I always say the same about what I see people wearing to church.)

Ball caps!  In April, my 21-year-old nephew showed up at the church for my mother's funeral wearing one.  I told him to take it off.  He said, "I always wear it."  I said, "Not today!"  He took it off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, doghog said:

Airline luggage costs has nothing to do with our decision on what we pack. We have always taken three 26 inch checked luggage. We always stayed and still stay under the airline weight limits. 

That works for you.  The reality is that luggage cost has something to do with other people's decisions on what they pack.

On most airlines, there's a fee for checked luggage.  Some people don't want to pay that, so stick to fewer pieces and/or just carry-on.  Less luggage = less room for clothes only worn once during a short cruise.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wiseask said:

I will be sailing with Princess for the first time, though I am a veteran of many, many Celebrity cruises. The Princess website is quite specific regarding dress codes. My question is how strictly these codes are enforced. On Formal Nights, for example, the code is for men to wear either tuxedos or suits and ties.

Perhaps you could point us to the page where Princess states that men are to "wear either tuxedos or suits and ties."

4 hours ago, ecs66 said:

That works for you.  The reality is that luggage cost has something to do with other people's decisions on what they pack.

On most airlines, there's a fee for checked luggage.  Some people don't want to pay that, so stick to fewer pieces and/or just carry-on.  Less luggage = less room for clothes only worn once during a short cruise.

That's why I was only speaking for myself. Not my place to speak for others. For us all part of the cost of cruising. Better to have the clothes and not need them, than need the clothes and not have them. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Perhaps you could point us to the page where Princess states that men are to "wear either tuxedos or suits and ties."

This is a direct quote from a Princess Cruises blog entitled Packing for a Princess Cruise Vacation: “Princess offers a number of formal dining nights during which a dress code is observed. Think evening gowns, cocktail dresses, tuxedos, suits, or dinner jacket and slacks.”

• Like 2

How many will comply with the requested dress code varies. I’ve seen it vary from well more than half on some sailings from Southampton to literally almost none on sailings from San Pedro.to Mexico.

As long as you meet the minimum standard for smart casual evenings you will be fine anywhere on the ship

12 minutes ago, Torfamm said:

As long as you meet the minimum standard for smart casual evenings you will be fine anywhere on the ship.

Yes, that seems to be the consensus. Thanks to all for sharing the benefit of your experience.

8 hours ago, doghog said:

Better to have the clothes and not need them, than need the clothes and not have them. 

That's true.  One reason I like Princess so much -- the ability to do your own laundry easily.  You can pack lighter if you want to.  In December, we're going to try the carry-on only thing instead of checking bags at the airport, and having crew manage them at the port.  We'll see how that goes!

14 hours ago, ecs66 said:
16 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Shorts and tshirts and ball caps are not appropriate in the MDR at dinner IMHO.

I disagree, but you knew someone would. I'll agree that a pair of pants can be thrown on for Formal night, but if I'm vacationing in the Caribbean, in July, I'm not bringing pants to eat dinner. Not sure how this isn't appropriate- people wear shorts to dinner out at home all the time. Also, rules on hats have changed and people wear them for different reasons, and like shorts, not sure how it affects how others enjoy their meal. As long as people are respectful, and a pair of nice shorts and a polo shirt looks just fine.  

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

People wear shorts to dinner out at home all the time. Also, rules on hats have changed and people wear them for different reasons,

You're right about that.  People are becoming more uncivilized all the time.  Lowered standards and elevated tackiness is a great achievement.

(There are official rules on hats?)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ecs66 said:

You're right about that.  People are becoming more uncivilized all the time.  Lowered standards and elevated tackiness is a great achievement.

(There are official rules on hats?)

People aren't stuck in the past anymore. They're not uncivilized.  you don't need to wear a suit or dress up to enjoy dinner OR Church. Lucky people even go to church these days, let alone dress up!  There are no hat rules, just people who wear a hat as part of an outfit. Maybe someone is just more comfortable with a hat on.  Most cruises are family vacations meant to be relaxing- if I sail on Cunard, then I'll bring a suit

• Like 1

Thanks for this thread- and the laughs 😂 

I’m sailing in the Caribbean for the first time on Princess in August and was wondering about the dress code there specifically

Only Princess Cruise I’ve been on is Sky Princess from Southampton. Also P&O. Many of Us Brits like to go all out on formal nights. If you ever travel from Southampton you’ll see lots of Tuxedos & ball gowns as well as suits and ties and long dresses. P&O are even worse/better depending on your point of view, with mainly Brits on board.

Us? We’ll be pleased to leave the suit & tie at home and I’ll stick to smart casual. Husband is going to buy some short sleeve collared shirts and leave the long sleeve ones at home too 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wiseask said:

This is a direct quote from a Princess Cruises blog entitled Packing for a Princess Cruise Vacation: “Princess offers a number of formal dining nights during which a dress code is observed. Think evening gowns, cocktail dresses, tuxedos, suits, or dinner jacket and slacks.”

It is a suggestion not a have too, right?

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

I disagree, but you knew someone would. I'll agree that a pair of pants can be thrown on for Formal night, but if I'm vacationing in the Caribbean, in July, I'm not bringing pants to eat dinner. Not sure how this isn't appropriate- people wear shorts to dinner out at home all the time. Also, rules on hats have changed and people wear them for different reasons, and like shorts, not sure how it affects how others enjoy their meal. As long as people are respectful, and a pair of nice shorts and a polo shirt looks just fine.  

Your opinion matters, so thank you.  However, I think certain things never go out of style.  A desire to look nice, for oneself and one’s partner.  Hats at the dinner table is a sign of disrespect, unless you must for either medical or religious reasons.  All MDRs are overly air conditioned to the point of being downright chilly.  Even in the Caribbean.  I guarantee you will not overheat if your knees to ankle are covered.  After dinner, run to your cabin and put on your shorts.

I don’t ask for much, just a little effort to look like you’re eating in a dining room not a backyard bbq.

I realize that I’m in the minority and that’s okay, too.  Do your shorts affect how much I enjoy my meal?  Of course not.  
Wishing you many happy days at sea.

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I’m new to Princess so you’re asking the wrong person. Call it what you will — a suggestion, a recommendation, an invitation — all I cared about was that wearing formal attire on Formal Nights isn’t mandatory. I am relieved to read from the many people who responded to my inquiry that it isn’t.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

I think more of a request than a suggestion. The only problem I have is Princess saying the dress code is for the enjoyment of all our guests. Seems from all the posts on this subject that statement is far from reality.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/pre-cruise#what-to-pack-for-a-cruise

Formal
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gown, cocktail dress or elegant pant suit for women
Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

Edited by billco
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, ecs66 said:

I miss the days of formal wear on formal nights.  I chalk that up to airline policies re luggage, and costs.  But it is what it is.  And it's fine.  Anything goes, basically.

It very well could be but my thought is that it's something that the majority of Princess cruisers wanted all along. If people really wanted to be more formal, even today, they certainly could ignore those that dress down & dress to please themselves.

1 hour ago, billco said:

I think more of a request than a suggestion. The only problem I have is Princess saying the dress code is for the enjoyment of all our guests.

That's one of the parts of Princess's old dress code that irritated me the most. They're implying that every one should dress to a standard to give pleasure to others that I don't even care to know. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ecs66 said:

That's true.  One reason I like Princess so much -- the ability to do your own laundry easily.  You can pack lighter if you want to.  In December, we're going to try the carry-on only thing instead of checking bags at the airport, and having crew manage them at the port.  We'll see how that goes!

Doing laundry while on vacation isn't out thing. But if that works for you, that's all that matters. With RC and Celebrity we get Wash n Fold laundry as a perk. We only use it for underwear and socks. Even though we over pack on those items. 

We could never do carry on as one of our 3 pieces of luggage besides having a pair of extra shoes each has my wife's hair products. make, perfume, my cologne and other items that can't be carried on the plane. I guess we should move to or within driving distance to a cruise port. 😁

51 minutes ago, doghog said:

Doing laundry while on vacation isn't out thing. But if that works for you, that's all that matters. With RC and Celebrity we get Wash n Fold laundry as a perk. We only use it for underwear and socks. Even though we over pack on those items. 

We could never do carry on as one of our 3 pieces of luggage besides having a pair of extra shoes each has my wife's hair products. make, perfume, my cologne and other items that can't be carried on the plane. I guess we should move to or within driving distance to a cruise port. 😁

It is really hard to pack enough for 16-21 day cruises. We generally do a load about every 7-10 days as needed. When we can we choose port days that we have no plans for

15 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

That is what Princess requests in the What to Pack section of this page. Many are unable or unwilling to comply though. Reports show that fewer than half of American men own a suit of any kind, much less a tuxedo.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/pre-cruise

IMG_2933.thumb.jpeg.2d44728514cd3bcab76e856432b45867.jpeg

35 minutes ago, memoak said:

It is really hard to pack enough for 16-21 day cruises. We generally do a load about every 7-10 days as needed. When we can we choose port days that we have no plans for

Not for us. The longest cruises we've taken has been 20 days (RC and Celebrity at different times) and the shortest 7 days (with Holland, Princess, RC and Celebrity at different times) and other combination of days. The longest on Princess was 16 days. March we were on the Enchanted for 11 days, no tier level laundry perk and never walked in the self service laundry room. Addimatley we are over packers but always stay below the airline weight allowances.