When is the ramp pulled up, if everyone is not on board?

7 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've never really believed that the staff come to fetch your passport.  How do they know it's in your safe?  

From what has been posted previously, they will open the safe and look for it there first, as 95%+ of the time, that's where people store it (like me). If it's not there, they will do a cursory search of the room to locate it, but it's far from an exhaustive search.

I can't find the detailed description I recall seeing previously, but I found this one:

21 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

From what has been posted previously, they will open the safe and look for it there first, as 95%+ of the time, that's where people store it (like me). If it's not there, they will do a cursory search of the room to locate it, but it's far from an exhaustive search.

I can't find the detailed description I recall seeing previously, but I found this one:

Yeah, I've heard that before -- I just don't believe it.  

16 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yeah, I've heard that before -- I just don't believe it.  

Not sure why. They have a master tool or code to open every safe. Without a passport, you could be totally screwed trying to get back to the US until you can get a duplicate from the State Department. 

Matt's Blog has a post that says they will.

Here's one from Conde Nast if you are looking for something more "journalistic":

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/what-happens-if-you-miss-your-cruise-ship

Just Google what happens when you miss the ship

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I've never really believed that the staff come to fetch your passport.  How do they know it's in your safe?  

I'm never going to have personal knowledge about this, as we don't cut it even remotely close!  

Two security people come and get your passports out of the safe. It happened to two friends of mine. We actually watched the port agent handing the passports over to the passengers, they were that close to getting on the ship. 

When we were on Adventure last week, our balcony was on the port side of the dock in San Juan. We wanted to watch the sail away. So we waited and waited, and they took up all the ramps but one and we realized they must be waiting for someone.  Only an officer and security guard were there at the end of the ramp.
The officer made a phone call (probably to the guests) and they came running down the gangway a few minutes later. Everyone heckled and clapped as they got on board. 

We have on many occasions witnessed the pier runners in Cozumel, and even once years ago saw two young men actually carrying a young lady that appeared to be unconscious, probably very drunk. One had her under his arms and the other had her feet. I can only imagine she had an awful night after that.

22 hours ago, kay1864 said:

The ship left on time, which means they didn't pull up the ramp until the last minute. But don't the ropes have to be untied after that happens? Seems like all of that would take at least 5 minutes or so. Which is strange, because it was probably 3 or 4 minutes after the ship started moving that she finally walked into our cabin. Shouldn't have taken all that time for her to walk the length of the ship, but who knows.

Last year we were on a ship excursion from Port Canaveral and the bus was 10 minutes late returning. We were the last group to return, but there was a line of classic Florida summertime thunderstorms passing through the area so they held us inside the cruise terminal for the rain to abate, but it wasn't letting up. After about 15 minutes of waiting the officer supervising the boarding was getting anxious so they decided to have us (50 people) make a mad dash through the torrential downpour for the gangway. We were soaked and went directly to our stateroom (we got a lot of quizzical looks from others on the elevator wondering why we were soaking wet). The ship was already underway by the time we got to the cabin. They can throw off the remaining lines and pull off the gangway in no time at all.

17 hours ago, njkruzer said:

In Costa Rica in October on Radiance Canal cruise, all aboard was 9:30, sailaway wa 10.  When we left the dining room noticed only 1 gangway down, 4 officers standing on dock staring at the pier, waiting... there had been a rain storm earlier, we had to turn around because of a downed tree and were 1/2 hr late at 5:30. At 9:30 shore excursions were still stuck.  New buses had to be sent to rescue passengers.   Also saw police bring passengers back who were stuck other places.  Didn't hear that we were missing any passengers when we finally left.  

We were Radiance too.  The last passengers on were a couple who had taken private transportation and were also stuck behind the fallen tree.  It was an awful storm.  The tree fell just after we passed and we were late getting back too. Another bus that left the excursion site right after us got trapped and got back 3 hours late.  The rain was torrential.  

14 hours ago, vjmatty said:

They still heckle. I was on a ship excursion in St Lucia that was late, along with a several other tours totaling over 50 passengers. There were still shouts and catcalls from the balcony. Somebody in the group yelled “it’s a ship excursion, stupid” and everybody shut up all embarrassed 😂

We were on a catamaran in St Lucia where that happened.  We were after all aboard but just before sail away.

On both trips I’m glad we booked with the ship.  

We’ve seen security bring out documents/passports to leave with the port agents when people are late getting back to the ship. If we don’t go with a ship excursion I try to remember to take a picture of the port information on the compass. If you’re only a few minutes from the port, stuck in traffic, you could call the port agent and let them know what’s going on.  It might help them wait for you instead of no one knowing where you are or how long you’ll be. No guarantee but it’s worth a try. 

In Costa Rica when our bus driver realized he wasn't going to be able to go forward he backed into the opposite traffic lane, no cars in that lane because of the downed tree, and then continued to drive backwards until he found somewhere he could back into to make the U-turn.  I'm pretty sure I couldn't back up a car, let alone a big bus.  It was amazing.   Obviously he knew which other road to take to get back to the ship.

In Grand Cayman violent thunderstorms with strong winds often spring up making tendering operations hazardous.  A while back we watched as the last couple of double deckers were unable to tie up alongside.  Seas, winds and rain were too rough.  Ended up sending them back to shore for  more stable single deck boats and made everyone put on life jackets.  Everyone aboard was watching as the passengers were handed up one at a time.  Took forever and have never seen people that wet and shivering.

One of the best use to be when Royal docked in Ocho Rios Jamaica befor the move to Falmouth. They had a long dock and you could watch the pier runners trying to run to get back and being met by the drug sniffing dogs at the end of the pier near the ship. We use to book our room just to make sure we were on the correct side of the ship for that locations. 

20 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We were on a catamaran in St Lucia where that happened.  We were after all aboard but just before sail away.

On both trips I’m glad we booked with the ship.  

It would not have made a difference. If ship and independent tours are late, they don’t take the time to sort out at the pier or try to suss out who was on a ship excursion and therefore has the “right” to be late. 

14 hours ago, jcc1025 said:

One of the best use to be when Royal docked in Ocho Rios Jamaica befor the move to Falmouth. They had a long dock and you could watch the pier runners trying to run to get back and being met by the drug sniffing dogs at the end of the pier near the ship. We use to book our room just to make sure we were on the correct side of the ship for that locations. 

Schadenfreude is fun, but you really can’t predict what side the ship will dock, so you may be disappointed. I value balconies more for usability including while underway so I stick to the aft, which doesn’t provide the benefit of pierside theater. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 7:06 PM, shipgeeks said:

I saw a reference today to a cruise in which the teens knew it was time to get back to the ship, but the parents didn't seem to care, so the teens went back without them.  Parents did not make it.  Anyone have more about this?

Yes.  There were several reports of this from multiple news sources.  The teens were actually 18 year olds.  When time was getting close, they repeatedly told their parents that it was time to get back to the ship.  The parents ignored them, so the "teens" were responsible and went back to the ship arriving before all on board time.  I don't recall the ship/cruise line.

I saw a reference today to a cruise in which the teens knew it was time to get back to the ship, but the parents didn't seem to care, so the teens went back without them.  Parents did not make it.  Anyone have more about this?

Yes.  There were several reports of this from multiple news sources.  The teens were actually 18 year olds.  When time was getting close, they repeatedly told their parents that it was time to get back to the ship.  The parents ignored them, so the "teens" were responsible and went back to the ship arriving before all on board time.  I don't recall the ship/cruise line.

56 minutes ago, gatour said:

You quoted post #17,  but seemed to have missed my post #22. It was 1 teen, and the story came from a Reddit AITA.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RobInMN said:

You quoted post #17,  but seemed to have missed my post #22. It was 1 teen, and the story came from a Reddit AITA.

No I didn't miss your post.  I read through the entire thread before posting.

I gave more additional information that there were multiple news places that reported it.  Plus I added that the "teenagers" were 18 years old.  Just saying "teenagers" leaves a broad age range of 13 through 19.  There is a big difference between a 13 year old showing up at the gangway without their parent to reboard as opposed to an 18 or 19 year old.

11 minutes ago, gatour said:

No I didn't miss your post.  I read through the entire thread before posting.

I gave more additional information that there were multiple news places that reported it.  Plus I added that the "teenagers" were 18 years old.  Just saying "teenagers" leaves a broad age range of 13 through 19.  There is a big difference between a 13 year old showing up at the gangway without their parent to reboard as opposed to an 18 or 19 year old.

Unless these "news sources" got in contact with the Reddit OP, who has yet to post any follow up, the Reddit post is the only story that they are regurgitating for clicks. Further, since this is the OP's only post, it's probably a throw away account and there's probably no follow up.

The Reddit post says it was for the OP's high school graduation and their 18th birthday. It's right in the post. And again, it's 1 teenager, not plural.

No "additional" information was provided that wasn't in the original Reddit post that I linked to.

Saw a liitle twist to the pier running last Tuesday in Cozumel.   Had the usual runners, but the latest two people actually got a ride in a cab on to the pier all the way to the gangplank.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bilyclub said:

Saw a liitle twist to the pier running last Tuesday in Cozumel.   Had the usual runners, but the latest two people actually got a ride in a cab on to the pier all the way to the gangplank.

I’ve seen that before, in Chania. Not much fun for the spectators. 

2 hours ago, RobInMN said:

Unless these "news sources" got in contact with the Reddit OP, who has yet to post any follow up, the Reddit post is the only story that they are regurgitating for clicks. Further, since this is the OP's only post, it's probably a throw away account and there's probably no follow up.

The Reddit post says it was for the OP's high school graduation and their 18th birthday. It's right in the post. And again, it's 1 teenager, not plural.

No "additional" information was provided that wasn't in the original Reddit post that I linked to.

I don't normally click through links to redit as many times they seem to go to black holes.  I just said what I saw elsewhere.  I didn't dig down to where they got their information.  Did you read other sources?  If not, how do you know they just regurgitated the redit post?

in any case I just more or said the same the same thing so people didn't have to click through.

To make you feel better I debated about quoting your post instead of the one I did.  If I knew it would bruise your ego I would of quoted your post but would have said the same thing

I will make note of this in the future so I won't offend you

I read that also. Poor kid said his parents are angry with him because he went back...crazy!🙃