Current Rising tide bar/teen policy

27 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Kids can enter bars, just not sit right where drinks are served.

I asked a previous poster this and I don’t think I got a response. I’m curious where it says that? I’ve never seen it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

Exactly this. The cruise ship is a completely abnormal environment where drinking is happening everywhere, even the windjammer. As always it sounds like some people on CC need to move cruise line to one who doesn’t target families as their core demographic. 

I did.  😉 

• Haha 1

I urge anyone looking for kid-free space to try Virgin Voyages. Make sure you compare bottom line pricing as VV includes gratuities and wifi in their cruise price. 

I enjoy Royal but it's all about the kids and families. It's almost never the kids that bother me as much as the parents. Kids need a lot of attention and engagement from their parents on a cruise ship. Lock the phones in the safe and spend time together. If that's playing go fish in a bar I'm totally fine with that. I don't expect it to be kid free on Royal, but I do expect people to make sure their kids are occupied and reasonably behaved. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tatka said:

Schooner is also a bar just like many others. Kids can enter bars, just not sit right where drinks are served.

Right. The whole Rising Tide Bar is where drinks are served. No trivia contests there.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

I will take my kid for a ride when we sail on Symphony in September.

My kid is 4.5 ... in dog years.

I thought dogs aged 7 years faster then humans? 🤔 But i think i got what you ment 🤣 

Edited by FamilyCruiserUK

Oasis December cruise, DW, our teen and I got to Rising Tide, half empty. We seated and tried to order. Waiter said that our son couldn't be there and refused to take our order, asked us to leve. 

We sadly did.

Now that I read this threat I can see that he was being a ...... (you know).

1 hour ago, Jasukkie said:

I urge anyone looking for kid-free space to try Virgin Voyages. Make sure you compare bottom line pricing as VV includes gratuities and wifi in their cruise price. 

I enjoy Royal but it's all about the kids and families. It's almost never the kids that bother me as much as the parents. Kids need a lot of attention and engagement from their parents on a cruise ship. Lock the phones in the safe and spend time together. If that's playing go fish in a bar I'm totally fine with that. I don't expect it to be kid free on Royal, but I do expect people to make sure their kids are occupied and reasonably behaved. 

We have gone all the way over.  Virgin is nice, but the ships are still too big for us.  More of a young adult/party feel to me IMHO.  (Think Hideaway Beach at Coco Cay).  

Our fav in that direction of more laid back, no party, no running free feral children...Viking. 

3 hours ago, Tatka said:

Kids can enter bars, just not sit right where drinks are served.

This isn't correct, we quite often sit at the bar early evening with our son for a couple of drinks before dinner with no issue on RCI and enjoy chatting with the servers.

We have had it confirmed that is is permitted and never had any sign of awkwardness from the staff when doing so. In fact the opposite, if we get to know the servers over a number of nights we are often greeted each night with a different cocktail for our son.

We wouldn't do this late at night obviously and a big caveat to the above is we are from the UK so there isn't the taboo (sorry can't think of a better word) surrounding alcohol and bars that seems to exist in the States.

• Like 4

Kids see a server hand Mom & Dad a cocktail while sitting on a sofa near the window = no problem. Conversations on various topics will likely be heard. 

Kids see a server hand Mom and Dad a cocktail whilst sitting at the bar = THE SKY IS FALLING AND JOHNNY & LITTLE SUZIE WILL BE IRREPARABLY HARMED! ADULT CONVERSATIONS THAT WILL TURN THEIR LITTLE EARS INTO TURNIPS WILL BE HEARD. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, island lady said:

We have gone all the way over.  Virgin is nice, but the ships are still too big for us.  More of a young adult/party feel to me IMHO.  (Think Hideaway Beach at Coco Cay).  

Our fav in that direction of more laid back, no party, no running free feral children...Viking. 

The pool during the day is definitely like that and not my scene at all. I do love the dock area in the aft, relaxing live music, great drinks and snacks, no carrying on, just vibes. I haven't been on Viking yet, hopefully someday.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sizzlechest said:

Right. The whole Rising Tide Bar is where drinks are served. No trivia contests there.

No. There are tables far from serving area itself. We do not always order drinks there, but we ride it to Central park. In a way it is an equivalent of trivia.

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Where have you seen this policy?

I will check... although in 63 cruises I have never seen kids  sitting at serving (ordering) area.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

No. There are tables far from serving area itself. We do not always order drinks there, but we ride it to Central park. In a way it is an equivalent of trivia.

Your delusions have been noted.

• Like 1

We would always go yo the Viking Crown before dinner for a drink on Sovereign and Monarch. Our young son would go with us and order a mock frozen drink. Desmond (for those that remember him) always called him little guy. Well with our many years of cruising and moving on to Enchantment, our son grew to 6'[4". At that point Desmond would always ask us where the Big Guy was. Our son would meet us at the Diamond lounge before dinner. When my son turned 21 he really wanted Desmond to be able to serve him his first adult drink in the diamond lounge but it didn't work out. Wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

I asked a previous poster this and I don’t think I got a response. I’m curious where it says that? I’ve never seen it. 

I'm pretty sure that's not a policy. And I have seen children sitting in the serving areas on many occasions.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Tatka said:

I will check... although in 63 cruises I have never seen kids  sitting at serving (ordering) area.

Last time I was on Navigator the bartender asked a couple with a small child to not sit the child in the barstool at the bar.  There was no problem with them with being there with the child and even them sitting at the bar just as long as the child sat in the stroller a couple feet back from the bar.

This was in the Bamboo room.

Edited by Tree_skier

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Last time I was on Navigator the bartender asked a couple with a small child to not sit the child in the barstool at the bar.  There was no problem with them with being there with the child and even them sitting at the bar just as long as the child sat in the stroller a couple feet back from the bar.

This was in the Bamboo room.

If the child was the age to use a stroller then it was likely a health and safety issue. A child that age could easily fall off a high stool, regardless if it was at a bar or anywhere else. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

If the child was the age to use a stroller then it was likely a health and safety issue. A child that age could easily fall off a high stool, regardless if it was at a bar or anywhere else. 

That may be, the child would have been about 2 to 2 1/2 years old. However, the implication was there was some rule about young children at the bar...

11 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

That may be, the child would have been about 2 to 2 1/2 years old. However, the implication was there was some rule about young children at the bar...

We’ll agree to disagree. I see it as a barman seeing that the child might fall and he wanted to prevent it. That’s all. 

I’m really mystified where people are getting the idea that kids can’t sit at bars but no one has pointed to an RC document that says it. I can only presume it’s a local law that people are accustomed to and therefore they assume it applies everywhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

We’ll agree to disagree.

I'm not sure what there is or why you want to disagree with my first hand reporting of an incident that I was directly involved in with your suppositions about the bartender's hidden true motives.  I was there... I sat next to and talked with this nice young couple and their toddler.  I can give you the ship, the sailing date, the day of the sailing and even the approximate hour the incident happened. The bartender is my favorite bartender in the fleet.  He has served me literally hundreds of drinks. He cited a rule about children at the bar. I can even tell you what seat I was sitting in when the incident in question happened.  

He may have had all kinds of other intentions or motives other than "a rule" that kids can't sit at a bar however, that's what he cited in this interaction.  

16 hours ago, SECdawg said:

We would always go yo the Viking Crown before dinner for a drink on Sovereign and Monarch. Our young son would go with us and order a mock frozen drink. Desmond (for those that remember him) always called him little guy. Well with our many years of cruising and moving on to Enchantment, our son grew to 6'[4". At that point Desmond would always ask us where the Big Guy was. Our son would meet us at the Diamond lounge before dinner. When my son turned 21 he really wanted Desmond to be able to serve him his first adult drink in the diamond lounge but it didn't work out. Wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

Knew Desmond well. He would call our son Tyler, "Taylor", and make him the best Oreo Cookie shake. Those were the best days to say the least. Plus, during the evening event, the Rosario Strings would play and the Hor d'oeuvres were soooooo much better. I really miss the Sovereign, Monarch, Majesty ships. 

• Like 1