Bigger

2 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And we both in a thread earlier in this very forum discovered the secret to a long successful marriage---one partner has a great sense of direction and one has absolutely no sense of direction.

I wonder what grades I got in geography 🙂 Good thing I travel mostly with Bob.

13 hours ago, clo said:

I wonder what grades I got in geography 🙂 Good thing I travel mostly with Bob.

I probably got good grades, but put me in a real life situation and I am often lost.

• Like 1

I feel like this is a apple and orange comparison because to me big and small ships serve two different purposes. Big ships are for those who want that resort/theme park experience. That is why it does not matter if they are so big they can't fit in most ports since destinations mean little to those customers. 

Small ships are for those who have at least some interest in the destinations and want to spend some time off the ship so they don't need as many facilities as a big ship needs to keep everyone entertained

While the really small so called expedition ships are for those who think they are adventurous but still want champagne and caviar for dinner while having a personal butler to service their room😜

23 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

While the really small so called expedition ships are for those who think they are adventurous but still want champagne and caviar for dinner while having a personal butler to service their room😜

HAHA! We did a 400 pax expedition ship to Antarctica. The food was super but no caviar. Sparkling wine but I don't remember Champagne.

On 6/16/2024 at 6:14 PM, ilikeanswers said:

I feel like this is a apple and orange comparison because to me big and small ships serve two different purposes. Big ships are for those who want that resort/theme park experience. That is why it does not matter if they are so big they can't fit in most ports since destinations mean little to those customers. 

Small ships are for those who have at least some interest in the destinations and want to spend some time off the ship so they don't need as many facilities as a big ship needs to keep everyone entertained

". . . since destinations mean little to those customers."

I will respectfully disagree with this broad generalization as it is not applicable to many folks on larger ships.  One can enjoy a resort atmosphere and be itinerary driven at the same time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

HAHA! We did a 400 pax expedition ship to Antarctica. The food was super but no caviar. Sparkling wine but I don't remember Champagne.

You must have found one of the few hold outs😂. I love an expedition cruise but I am finding myself increasingly priced out as they keep adding more luxury items. I get it cruising demographics change but I couldn't help putting a tease at the change😜

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

". . . since destinations mean little to those customers."

I will respectfully disagree with this broad generalization as it is not applicable to many folks on larger ships.  One can enjoy a resort atmosphere and be itinerary driven at the same time.  

I don't know these new mega ships are really restricted in how many ports they can stop at and despite this the demand for them is only growing so I guess to me that does suggest that destination isn't really important to those customers because otherwise they would chose a ship that can stop at a more variety of destinations🤷‍♀️

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't know these new mega ships are really restricted in how many ports they can stop at and despite this the demand for them is only growing so I guess to me that does suggest that destination isn't really important to those customers because otherwise they would chose a ship that can stop at a more variety of destinations🤷‍♀️

My personal experience is many "big" ships in the 2,500 to 3,500 passenger range stop in a variety of destinations.   

43 minutes ago, ldubs said:

My personal experience is many "big" ships in the 2,500 to 3,500 passenger range stop in a variety of destinations.   

Is that considered a big ship? I assumed that was medium. When I think big I'm thinking over 4000 pax. I guess that is another issue with the question what constitutes a "big" ship😂

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Is that considered a big ship? I assumed that was medium. When I think big I'm thinking over 4000 pax. I guess that is another issue with the question what constitutes a "big" ship😂

You probably have it right.  I guess it is all in the perspective.  And, I guess for me "medium" is better!  😀

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

For someone who is used to traveling on a ship with less than 1,000 passengers wouldn't they consider a ship with 2,500 to 3,500 people gianormous? Conversely, someone who is used to sailing on ships with 4,000-6,000 people they would consider a 2,500 person ship to be small. And since this is a determination that is made by each passenger I guess that is the only distinction that matters. In a week's time a passenger is going to spend roughly 40 hours ashore, tops. So that leaves around 128 hours that they will be onboard the ship. 

49 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

For someone who is used to traveling on a ship with less than 1,000 passengers wouldn't they consider a ship with 2,500 to 3,500 people gianormous? Conversely, someone who is used to sailing on ships with 4,000-6,000 people they would consider a 2,500 person ship to be small. And since this is a determination that is made by each passenger I guess that is the only distinction that matters. In a week's time a passenger is going to spend roughly 40 hours ashore, tops. So that leaves around 128 hours that they will be onboard the ship. 

I have sailed on ships (twice) that were 2500 passengers and this was 20 years or more ago. 

My husband and I together have only ever sailed on ships under 1000 passengers.

I would consider 2000+ a big ship.  I cannot imagine being on a ship with 5K or more passengers.  To me that would be the equivalent of going to Disney World on the busiest day of the year.  A nightmare come to life.

55 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

I have sailed on ships (twice) that were 2500 passengers and this was 20 years or more ago. 

My husband and I together have only ever sailed on ships under 1000 passengers.

I would consider 2000+ a big ship.  I cannot imagine being on a ship with 5K or more passengers.  To me that would be the equivalent of going to Disney World on the busiest day of the year.  A nightmare come to life.

I have to admit that I was somewhat nervous booking a big ship. I was stationed on an aircraft carrier that had 6300+ people at times and it wasn't a pleasant experience with all of the standing in line for practically everything, especially when trying to go ashore (there were no ports in Europe with a berth big enough for us, so every port was a tender port with at least a 30 minute ride to shore). It wasn't anywhere as bad as I imagined and we enjoyed the extra things to do (if only because it kept everyone else busy 🙂).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

So that leaves around 128 hours that they will be onboard the ship.

And, for me, 63 to 70 hours asleep. 🙂

• Like 1

For what it’s worth… I tend to sail on giant ships. Let’s call it 4,000+ passengers. I also pick my cruise largely based on itinerary and almost never feel restricted as the ships can stop at most mainstream ports. The giant ships don’t feel more crowded to me than the smaller (2000 pax) ships as they have more space to go along with more passengers. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wcook said:

For what it’s worth… I tend to sail on giant ships. Let’s call it 4,000+ passengers. I also pick my cruise largely based on itinerary and almost never feel restricted as the ships can stop at most mainstream ports. The giant ships don’t feel more crowded to me than the smaller (2000 pax) ships as they have more space to go along with more passengers. 

I have felt congestion on larger ships but I can cope with that if they are going where I want to go.  I view cruises as transportation and if they are sailing where I am going and they have a reasonable level of service and options I am going.  The only major objection I have is on ships that have loud music playing constantly everywhere and constant sales pitches even in the hallways.  I have not experienced that on smaller ships. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I have felt congestion on larger ships but I can cope with that if they are going where I want to go.  I view cruises as transportation and if they are sailing where I am going and they have a reasonable level of service and options I am going.  The only major objection I have is on ships that have loud music playing constantly everywhere and constant sales pitches even in the hallways.  I have not experienced that on smaller ships. 

We sailed on a 400 pax ship on an expedition to Antarctica. The food was terrific, sometimes honoring former captains of other ships. No music and no sales pitches.

zodiak (1).jpg

On 6/20/2024 at 4:44 PM, Host Kat said:

This thread has been about big and small cruise ships... now here are some strange in a Cruise Critic article last updated January 8, 2024:

7 Strange (and Wonderful) Cruise Ships You Didn’t Know About

On that list I have done Aranui around the Marquesas, it is an interesting and unique cruise and more affordable than most expedition style cruises. I noticed they have expanded their itineraries, would love to do their Austral cruise.