Celebrity Guaranteed Suite

jamacka

I'm wonder if anyone has any experience booking with their Guaranteed Suite option.  We're booking a B2B2B cruise for next spring and since we want the Retreat, the cheapest option for us is to book using the Guaranteed Suite.  We don't know which cabin we'll be getting which I don't like because I don't want a Magic Carpet Sky Suite.

We asked the agent if we could upgrade and choose our own and she said yes and then priced out the cost of a Sunset Sky Suite.  She had no problem doing that.  But it was quite expensive and a long walk to the Retreat area of the ship so we asked about choosing a regular Sky Suite and even though there are many Sky Suits available on the ship (we can see them on the website), she said she couldn't reserve us one of those cabins.. for reasons we don't really understand.  If she could book a Sunset Sky Suite, why couldn't she book a regular Sky Suite?? We'd pay the difference in price just like we were willing to do with the Sunset Sky Suite.  

So we're back to the Guaranteed Suite option and not knowing what cabin we'll get.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Can anyone explain it?  Might try calling back in a few days to get a different agent.

If you're booking a GTY, there is a strong possibility you end up in a Magic Carpet Suite. I almost prefer them to the S1 in some ways, FWIW. However if you choose to save the money and choose GTY, the unknown cabin is (literally) the price you pay. No way around that. I think you had some miscommunication with the agent. You can pay prevailing rate for whatever open cabin you want. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We booked a GTY and were assigned an S1 on deck 10, mid ship on Ascent.  However, we just came out of a MC Sky suite and it is hands down my new favorite category!  The balcony is a bit bigger, the views are great, you're mid ship so short walk to elevators no matter which direction you go.  We were on deck 9 which I think is a sweet spot.  The Magic Carpet passed by our room only 2 times the whole trip and it does not move with people on board.  It's really the only way to go IMO.  If you are assigned a MC and you don't like the deck or the middle location among the 4 rooms, you could always call and ask for a reassignment.  We were in 9204 which gave us an aft view in additional to the tradition side view.  

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 4

We booked a GTY suite on our recent Med cruise in Ascent and were assigned a Magic Carpet suite on deck 8.

Other than the location of the bathroom door, we loved it. Huge balcony, great midship location.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Personally, I would never book a Retreat Guaranty for fear of being assigned an accessible Sky Suite. It's just not worth the risk to me.

Just what I got on my most recent suite guarantee and under the buffet to boot 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RosieRoo said:

Just what I got on my most recent suite guarantee and under the buffet to boot 🤦🏻‍♀️

Ah, the old double-whammy. Sorry to hear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichYak said:

Ah, the old double-whammy. Sorry to hear.

Hey I took the chance, it was a good deal. I’ll suffer the consequences. You win some, you lose some. I’m still on a ship, in the Retreat, heading to Bermuda, so it’s not all bad 😊

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

I have mentioned this on other threads but just to clarify location assignment with a GTY, if once your stateroom is assigned you are not happy with its' location, just contact whomever you booked through and they can check availably of other locations.  If there are other staterooms available in the sub-category as you were assigned, they can confirm alternate locations and move your assignment to another preferred location for you at n/c.  While it is based on availability, this can mitigate the risk of being assigned an undesirable location.  We have done this a few times in the past.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

In April, we booked two cruises on the Beyond in June.  On one, the only option was the Suite Guarantee, and on the other we saved some money.  Within a week we had S1 on Deck for one, and an AS on Deck 10 for the other.

The AS is the most forward room on 10, and is technically listed as obstructed, because it's just below and behind the bridge.  We had it on the Apex (fairly last minute booking there too and all that was available), and we were happy with it,   So happy with both.

The biggest issue is changing rooms, but we'd have to do that anyway.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

Hey I took the chance, it was a good deal. I’ll suffer the consequences. You win some, you lose some. I’m still on a ship, in the Retreat, heading to Bermuda, so it’s not all bad 😊

Agree 100%. It’s a risk that works for many, especially when you go in with your eyes wide open. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

Personally, I would never book a Retreat Guaranty for fear of being assigned an accessible Sky Suite. It's just not worth the risk to me.

A downside, for sure.  I guess one could always look at what accessible suites are showing as available on a mock booking before going the guaranty route...if none appear to be available then perhaps the risk is lower...but it definitely is a risk.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

A downside, for sure.  I guess one could always look at what accessible suites are showing as available on a mock booking before going the guaranty route...if none appear to be available then perhaps the risk is lower...but it definitely is a risk.

I wonder if those are just assigned at the last minute, since it's always possible that someone later will need one.  I have no idea.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

2 minutes ago, abbydancer2003 said:

I wonder if those are just assigned at the last minute, since it's always possible that someone later will need one.  I have no idea.

While they can and are assigned from time to time to those without need for an accessible stateroom, they are held late in case a late booking may require one.  The concern over the possibility of having one assigned would not be a deterrent to me with booking a GTY.  If one was, it would not be at the expense of a passenger who needed it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

Our relatives booked an accessible suite on Apex because they need one, and there were many things I loved about it.  It was 1/3 larger than our SS, including a bigger balcony.  The bathroom was huge and had an actual shower rather than the awful bathtubs.  My only issue with it was that the TV was at a weird angle from the bed IMHO.  Otherwise I'd be very happy to be assigned that type of suite!  To each their own I guess.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, RichYak said:

I don't think id have a problem with an accessible suite.  I really think I'd prefer the space and shower.

17 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I have mentioned this on other threads but just to clarify location assignment with a GTY, if once your stateroom is assigned you are not happy with its' location, just contact whomever you booked through and they can check availably of other locations.  If there are other staterooms available in the sub-category as you were assigned, they can confirm alternate locations and move your assignment to another preferred location for you at n/c.  While it is based on availability, this can mitigate the risk of being assigned an undesirable location.  We have done this a few times in the past.

Our problem is we're on a B2B2B. The longer we wait to find out our cabin assignment the less likely there will be other cabins available for all three legs of our trip. While moving to a different cabin isn't unheard of, we'd rather just be settled.  

Just to follow up on more details.
The reason I'm nervous about not knowing where we'll be is because we're on a B2B2B.

12 night New Zealand, 18 night Sydney - Hawaii, 9 night Hawaii - Vancouver 

39 days is a long time to be in a cabin we're not happy with.  The reason I don't want a Magic Carpet suite is because I like to be able to go out on the balcony and look forward and back and I believe the orange tracks for the Magic Carpet will obstruct our view. 

What I don't understand is if Magic Carpet suites are so wonderful why are they delegated to the people who pay less? Shouldn't they sell those Suites at full price and give us regular Sky Suites elsewhere? To me, this process make me feel like Magic Carpet suites are not as desirable and don't sell as quickly as regular suites so they unload them on us cheap folk.

16 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Our relatives booked an accessible suite on Apex because they need one, and there were many things I loved about it.  It was 1/3 larger than our SS, including a bigger balcony.  The bathroom was huge and had an actual shower rather than the awful bathtubs.  My only issue with it was that the TV was at a weird angle from the bed IMHO.  Otherwise I'd be very happy to be assigned that type of suite!  To each their own I guess.

1 hour ago, jamacka said:

I don't think id have a problem with an accessible suite.  I really think I'd prefer the space and shower.

I've never been in one, but I only ever recall reading negative comments about them, like water everywhere in the bathroom when one showers. I also overheard a woman vehemently complaining to one of the Retreat concierges on embarkation day trying to get assigned to a different sky suite from the accessible one she suddenly realized she had.

• Like 1

We have booked suite GTY twice on E-Class ships as the prices started to rise.  The rooms were assigned in a couple weeks and neither were for the Magic Carpet.  Those suites have seemed to build their own following are rather popular.  

My wife loves the Thermal Suite; so we were going to add that to one of our cruises.  By the time we factor that price in & a price drop; we were able to upgrade to an Aqua Class Suite for less than the Thermal Suite price so we ended up moving from one on of the rooms.  The other was fine - it was an S1 on the 10 floor in about 10 rooms towards the bow from the Magic Carpet Suites.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamacka said:

The reason I'm nervous about not knowing where we'll be is because we're on a B2B2B.

39 days is a long time to be in a cabin we're not happy with.  The reason I don't want a Magic Carpet suite is because I like to be able to go out on the balcony and look forward and back and I believe the orange tracks for the Magic Carpet will obstruct our view. 

What I don't understand is if Magic Carpet suites are so wonderful why are they delegated to the people who pay less? Shouldn't they sell those Suites at full price and give us regular Sky Suites elsewhere? To me, this process make me feel like Magic Carpet suites are not as desirable and don't sell as quickly as regular suites so they unload them on us cheap folk.

Just curious, would you have been able, for a bit more money, book the same room for all three?  

On our first B2B2B we had three different rooms.  The first was an AS the other two were SS.  I was able to move the 2nd and 3rd to the same room, but I couldn't move the first without losing tips and OBC because it was in a different category.  So we moved once.

On our upcoming cruises, by the time we booked, we couldn't get the same room, so we went with the guarantee for both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamacka said:

It is simple supply and demand…

Those who pay full price choose their preferred type of suite in their preferred location.

Then some people near to cruise time will offer amounts they are willing to pay to upgrade to specific suites aware their may or not get an upgrade.

You have paid to be guaranteed a suite. Your suite will be allocated based on the consequences of the purchases of others…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamacka said:

Looks like we will be sailing with you if it is the Edge though not in the Retreat.  Are you staying on for the 3 night sailing between NZ and departing on the transpacific?  We are going to stay in Sydney for those three days, an extra treat for this trip.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Looks like we will be sailing with you if it is the Edge though not in the Retreat.  Are you staying on for the 3 night sailing between NZ and departing on the transpacific?  We are going to stay in Sydney for those three days, an extra treat for this trip.  

Is that the 4/5/25 NZ cruise?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, abbydancer2003 said:

Is that the 4/5/25 NZ cruise?

Yes.  Was not originally part of the plan, but when hearing of 12 nights around beautiful NZ it seemed like a great use of the long flight down (or so I told DH).

• Like 1