Elite Plus Internet Benefit

Suddenly (due to being D+ on Royal), we are Elite+.  I need some clarification on how the Internet discounts work.  We get 240 minutes and 35% off of a package.  Can we use up the free minutes and then buy the package for the remaining time and still get the discount?

• Like 1

Yes, this is how I have always been able to do it.

Also, if you have Always Included where the 240 free minutes do not matter, you can use your discount to upgrade to the fast(er) speed at any time.

If you wait a few days, they do pro-rate the cost. 

• Like 1

I believe that the benefit is either/or, not both.   We are Elite and get 90 minute or 30% off the regular rate.  Sadly we cannot stack that 30% on the flash sale pricing so some times the flash sale price is the best deal.  Gotta do all of the math.

@handbellplayer  I think what @Mr. Click was referring to was combining the Elite / Elite + discount with Flash sales.  If that is the case, he is correct, they will not combine. 

And you are correct, you get your Elite / Elite + discount and your free minutes when purchasing with just the Elite / Elite + discount. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Are you sure?  The benefit sheet says "35% off Wifi Packages and upgrades, plus 240 complimentary stream minutes".  Elite also says 30% plus 90 minutes.

If that is the case, it is something new.   Still a lot of math today. On our last cruise we got a 50%  on the black friday flash sale.  We have also tried buying one discounted package and then allowing the other to use both sets of 90 minutes, That does not work either unless you can find someone in the iLounge to over ride things and create a second log in for the package holder so you can access the "free" minutes as well as the package minutes...

8 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

If that is the case, it is something new.   Still a lot of math today. On our last cruise we got a 50%  on the black friday flash sale.  We have also tried buying one discounted package and then allowing the other to use both sets of 90 minutes, That does not work either unless you can find someone in the iLounge to over ride things and create a second log in for the package holder so you can access the "free" minutes as well as the package minutes...

You keep referring to combining the benefit with sales.  That's not what I'm asking - I can't see any way that PLUS means either/or when purchasing outside of a sale.

Dakahuna, is this something new?  I recall that in the past it was either/or.....and I know that I complained about the benefit being devalued because it was either/or.   

Handbellplayer, if it is minute plus discount that is new to me and good news.  Now I need to rethink my plan for August.

6 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

You keep referring to combining the benefit with sales.  That's not what I'm asking - I can't see any way that PLUS means either/or when purchasing outside of a sale.

Why don’t you just phone Celebrity and get the answer from them if you don’t like the answers here 

or do a search as the question been asked a lot and always gets different answers 😉

25 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

Dakahuna, is this something new?  I recall that in the past it was either/or.....and I know that I complained about the benefit being devalued because it was either/or.   

Handbellplayer, if it is minute plus discount that is new to me and good news.  Now I need to rethink my plan for August.

I believe it is suggested you ‘use up’ your ‘free’ minutes THEN add a plan which is why you cannot have your free minutes AND a plan, unless you are buying a plan precruise so your free minutes don’t matter?

4 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

The last time I did this, I did it onboard.  They gave me credit for my Elite minutes, basically removing one day of internet use.  So I was charged for four days with five days remaining on the cruise. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

The last time I did this, I did it onboard.  They gave me credit for my Elite minutes, basically removing one day of internet use.  So I was charged for four days with five days remaining on the cruise. 

Thank you!   This is exactly what I was asking.  I'm not sure why it was so hard.

8 hours ago, handbellplayer said:

Thank you!   This is exactly what I was asking.  I'm not sure why it was so hard.

I think you have made very hard work of this.

Our option (assuming you are not travelling solo) is to share the packages as follows:

1) Activate 1 persons package - you do this online onboard - and choose the free 240 minute option. 

You can share these minutes on 2 or more devices just as long as you are not online at the same time - just use the same password

2) Once you have used the first 240 minutes activate the 2 persons account. At this point you can decide if the minutes will last to the end of the cruise or if you should trade them in for a discount on a full package. By the time you need to make this decision there may well be a special deal for what remains of the cruise.

Important/vital: when using your 240 minutes you must sign out every time otherwise your minutes will just disappear. You will be amazed at how much you can do with the minutes - we have never come close to using our free minutes and we rarely do less than 12 night cruises.

We also take advantage of the free wifi at every port if we need to send a really long message - again used very rarely - follow the crew to find the best deal.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

I think you have made very hard work of this.

Our option (assuming you are not travelling solo) is to share the packages as follows:

1) Activate 1 persons package - you do this online onboard - and choose the free 240 minute option. 

You can share these minutes on 2 or more devices just as long as you are not online at the same time - just use the same password

2) Once you have used the first 240 minutes activate the 2 persons account. At this point you can decide if the minutes will last to the end of the cruise or if you should trade them in for a discount on a full package. By the time you need to make this decision there may well be a special deal for what remains of the cruise.

Important/vital: when using your 240 minutes you must sign out every time otherwise your minutes will just disappear. You will be amazed at how much you can do with the minutes - we have never come close to using our free minutes and we rarely do less than 12 night cruises.

We also take advantage of the free wifi at every port if we need to send a really long message - again used very rarely - follow the crew to find the best deal.

Enjoy your cruise.

Great advice.  Thanks!  We are used to Royal where we buy our package (at a discount) the first day and then we're good to go for the rest of the cruise.

We just did this on a port heavy cruise where we weren't on board much and exhausted our Elite internet minutes about halfway through the cruise (maybe day 6 or 7), we were then able to buy a "half cruise" package using our discount. Worked well for us!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Great advice.  Thanks!  We are used to Royal where we buy our package (at a discount) the first day and then we're good to go for the rest of the cruise.

Why do people keep comparing two different cruise lines 🤔

27 minutes ago, cruisegirlppp said:

We just did this on a port heavy cruise where we weren't on board much and exhausted our Elite internet minutes about halfway through the cruise (maybe day 6 or 7), we were then able to buy a "half cruise" package using our discount. Worked well for us!

Great!  Thank you!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

we’re new Elite Plus too and I don’t understand how the 240 minutes work…. But I wanted to say on Royal being D+ we each get 2 days of free WiFi. I always buy the wifi package and DH uses his 2 days and then I go to the VOOM desk and they move my 2 free days to him. I don’t see why Celebrity can’t do that too. 

46 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

I don’t understand how the 240 minutes work…

Spend 15 minutes reading and responding to email. 

Waste 15 more minutes on Cruise Critic , Facebook, Insta, whatever

Log out.

You have 210 minutes left.

Repeat as desired. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Spend 15 minutes reading and responding to email. 

Waste 15 more minutes on Cruise Critic , Facebook, Insta, whatever

Log out.

You have 210 minutes left.

Repeat as desired. 

Very good description of getting the most out of your Internet minutes!

This is one Celebrity perk that is excellent when comparing it to RCI. I wish RCI would change to this. 

33 minutes ago, asctony said:

Very good description of getting the most out of your Internet minutes!

This is one Celebrity perk that is excellent when comparing it to RCI. I wish RCI would change to this. 

On Royal we get 2 days each. For each day we don’t log in until the early afternoon, which will give us the wifi until the next day at that same time. Why do you like celebrity’s way better?  Can you make the 240 minutes last the whole cruise, I’m not sure I could 🤪

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

we’re new Elite Plus too and I don’t understand how the 240 minutes work…. But I wanted to say on Royal being D+ we each get 2 days of free WiFi. I always buy the wifi package and DH uses his 2 days and then I go to the VOOM desk and they move my 2 free days to him. I don’t see why Celebrity can’t do that too. 

different lines, different offers. Celebrity's works much better for us. We generally do minimum 12 night cruises - on Royal that would leave us with 8 days no internet, on Celebrity we can spread our free minutes over the whole cruise.

Choice is good

19 hours ago, Mr. Click said:

I believe that the benefit is either/or, not both.   We are Elite and get 90 minute or 30% off the regular rate.  Sadly we cannot stack that 30% on the flash sale pricing so some times the flash sale price is the best deal.  Gotta do all of the math.

As I recall it was one of the other in the past.  I don’t know when it changed but the benefit description does as the discount + the minutes.