Bring wine onboard?

I know I could bring a bottle of wine on board. It states, however, on their site that I have to pay a corkage fee.  I have no intentions of bringing it into the dining room, and it will be a screw cap. Do I still have to pay the $20 fee?  Thanks 

3 minutes ago, newfietravel said:

I know I could bring a bottle of wine on board. It states, however, on their site that I have to pay a corkage fee.  I have no intentions of bringing it into the dining room, and it will be a screw cap. Do I still have to pay the $20 fee?  Thanks 

Technically, yes. However, others have reported that they weren’t charged corkage so it seems to be intermittently enforced. 

• Like 1

For us it has depended on the port whether they pay attention to alcohol in your carry on or luggage.  But it wouldn't be a big deal to me to pay HAL $20 to have a nice bottle wine in the cabin or dining room.  Unless you get the 4 or 5 * mariner discount, why not bring on your own wine?  And, you bring on more than one bottle.   JMO. Cherie

• Like 1

3* mariners receive a 25% discount on the Sommelier Suite wine package and 4 & 5 * receive a 50% discount. For us, that makes bringing on our own everyday type wine less attractive.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Sea42 said:

For us, that makes bringing on our own everyday type wine less attractive.

Same.  Agree. Not worth hauling bottles of wine to the ship with the discount on the Sommelier packages.

Enjoy the wine onboard......

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Hasn’t this question been asked dozens of times, same on Facebook!, yes you pay no matter where you drink it, even your bathroom!!!

FYI, not everyone is on FB, so........

Why can't people ask questions? 

Just because you know doesn't mean everyone does.

Please be patient and kind with others who may not know things and ask for information. It is one of the best things about CC.

Thx.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5

And honestly the search function on cruise critic can be less than ideal.  I have tried to search for threads I know were recently used and been unable to find them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cruisercl said:

FYI, not everyone is on FB, so........

Why can't people ask questions? 

Just because you know doesn't mean everyone does.

Please be patient and kind with others who may not know things and ask for information. It is one of the best things about CC.

Thx.

....especially us. Veteran cruisers, but our first HAL cruise coming up.

21 hours ago, newfietravel said:

Brought two bottles on board Rotterdam in April. The one in my carry-on bag was found during the security screening and we paid the $20. The other was in our checked bag and made it through without detection-no corkage fee,

4 hours ago, iowacruiser said:

Brought two bottles on board Rotterdam in April. The one in my carry-on bag was found during the security screening and we paid the $20. The other was in our checked bag and made it through without detection-no corkage fee,

As all wine brought on board is supposed to be in your carry on items, I guess you can celebrate pulling one over on HAL and the security folks.

14 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

As all wine brought on board is supposed to be in your carry on items, I guess you can celebrate pulling one over on HAL and the security folks.

It was all because of packing logistics. I fully expected to pay corkage fee on both. Sorry if you are offended.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

I have never heard that before.  Please post HAL policy that says that.  (I am not doubting you, just this is the first I heard someone say that.)

I brought 2 bottles of Champaign onboard. Detected during security process, completed the charge slip, but was never charged. 

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

I have never heard that before.  Please post HAL policy that says that.  (I am not doubting you, just this is the first I heard someone say that.)

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD
Each guest 21^ years and older may bring one bottle of wine or champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. This bottle will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles (no larger than 750ml) in carry-on luggage are welcome, but will incur a US$18.00 (subject to change) corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Guests are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the right to remove all alcoholic beverages from any guest luggage that violates this policy.

Page 6 of Know Before You Go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From current FAQs;

https://www.hollandamerica.com/content/hal/us/en/faq/cruise-planning/general-information/alcoholic-non-alcoholic-beverages-brought-onboard.html

Can I bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board?

Answer: Revised Policy effective June 1st, 2021.

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use except as follows:

Guests may bring Wine and Champagne onboard, however a corkage fee of USD $20.00 (which is subject to change without notice) will be applied to each bottle (max 750 ml in volume or less). Limitations apply. Wine brought in quantities deemed to be excessive by the vessel or security will be refused.

with the cruise lines all pushing the drink packages more than ever i would suspect that very few of the drink package bunch would even bother to bring booze in checked luggage ....maybe a few special bottles that they are willing to pay corkage......but geez if you have the package it seems that just maybe u would be allowed to bring a couple of your own special wines without extra charge?

bean counter heaven...get pax to buy expensive drink package and then they bring their own booze to drink rather than the included package drinks??

3 hours ago, Torquer said:

I believe it is also printed on the luggage tags 

4 hours ago, kirkc said:

I brought 2 bottles of Champaign onboard. Detected during security process, completed the charge slip, but was never charged. 

They only charge if you bring on Champagne 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

They only charge if you bring on Champagne 🤣

3 hours ago, kirkc said:

Damn fat fingers. 😂

3 hours ago, kirkc said:

Damn fat fingers. 😂

Are you sure spell check didn’t intervene?