Is local currency needed traveling on Viking?

Janie1229

For those of you who have gone on a Viking cruise, do you need local currency or is a credit card sufficient? If you bring some cash, curious how much you bring and where do you get it for the different areas - for example, we fly into Amsterdam, will be in Germany, and fly out of Basel. 

Thanks for your feedback!

• Like 1

Although credit cards are widely accepted in Europe you may need some cash for smaller amounts or for using a bathroom on a tour. I would retrieve some Euro at an ATM in Amsterdam (airport). Don´t care for any Swiss Francs. Some even accept Euro as Basel is just on the other side of the border to Germany.

steamboats

3 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

For those of you who have gone on a Viking cruise, do you need local currency or is a credit card sufficient? If you bring some cash, curious how much you bring and where do you get it for the different areas - for example, we fly into Amsterdam, will be in Germany, and fly out of Basel. 

@Janie1229  We don't buy much and most of the time we buy nothing on a cruise, regardless of where we are in the world, so we tend to have the mindset that if a credit card does not work, then we don't want it or need it....

We do however take some Euros with us and we always get them in advance because I don't want to use an ATM if I don't have to and having them in advance just takes the hassle out of getting them later.  I order from my bank and I specifically get mostly 5 and 10 Euro notes so that I don't have to break them down.  You typically cannot get 1 and 2 Euro coins from the bank and sometimes the Viking ship will have some coins to break a 5 or 10 for you.  But, for this do this early as the Viking ship guest service desk does not act like a bank and they may run out of whatever stock they have.

BUT @steamboats has made a very valid point about restrooms... we always carry small Euro bills to convert to coins if we have to for bathrooms.  It is very typical to have to pay to enter a restroom in many places in Europe.

We typically carry about 150 Euros in small bills with us and typically come back with 130 Euros.  Most will be spent on restrooms.

• Like 1

We take about €150.00, and if we don’t have any coin, we’ll usually stop at one of the convenience type stores at the airport once we land and buy something small. That way we can change a €20.00 for small bills and coins.

We aren’t shoppers, so if we do treat ourselves, we usually use our CC. If purchasing something small, I’ll usually ask if CC is ok - we got caught in Budapest when it was 30C and I needed water. I felt bad, but the lady in the little store didn’t mind. 

4 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

Amsterdam, will be in Germany, and fly out of Basel. 

If you are on Rhine Getaway cruise you will not have any time in Switzerland. The boat will dock in Basel overnight and you will depart the ship to the airport the following morning. There are no excursions so you won't need tip money and it's a short ride to the airport. There's no charge to use toilets at the airport.

I reckon you can get by with a credit card, but only you know whether you like to buy coffees etc in local restaurants. Netherlands and Germany both use the Euro, so if you are happier with cash get say €100. We've carried the same amount of Euros on our trips for years and the only time we used them was to get coffees (we didn't want) to get out of the cold and rain on an excursion to Strasbourg.

If you don't take cash and find you really need it, you can use your card in an ATM

I was able to use euros at the Basel airport to buy a coffee and breakfast sandwich. 

In Amsterdam, you'll want some euros for incidentals and tips. I've had no problem using ATMs, and my credit and debit card don't charge foreign transaction fees. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pontac said:

If you don't take cash and find you really need it, you can use your card in an ATM

You may already know this, use a debit card rather than a credit card at ATMs and use a bank ATM. Use of a credit card is a cash advance with all the associated fees. Be sure your credit card that has no foreign transaction fees and do the charge in the local currency rather than the option of USD if that is suggested. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

and do the charge in the local currency rather than the option of USD if that is suggested. 

Yes, always, always if the option comes up when paying with a credit card anywhere in the world to have the transaction charged in USD (or CAD for me) vs. the local currency, always choose the local currency and let your bank/credit card do the exchange.  

Choosing your home card currency has an exchange built in that is generally at the benefit of the retailer and not you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Roz Good point about tips. I forgot about them. @Janie1229 may want to tip Guides and coach drivers and Euros will be the local currency

36 minutes ago, Roz said:

I was able to use euros at the Basel airport to buy a coffee and breakfast sandwich. 

The airport is physically in France, so Euro is the local currency 😉

Edited by pontac
  • Like 1

@pontac, thank you for clarifying.  I know there's a French exit and a Swiss exit,  so I wasn't clear where exactly the airport is situated. 

11 minutes ago, Roz said:

I know there's a French exit and a Swiss exit,

That's the important thing!

I can give you a tip on how to save money by not having to buy coffee and food at airports.

Simple, travel business class and all that and more is free to help yourself to in the business class lounge.😁

55 minutes ago, pontac said:

That's the important thing!

I can give you a tip on how to save money by not having to buy coffee and food at airports.

Simple, travel business class and all that and more is free to help yourself to in the business class lounge.😁

My budget doesn’t allow for business class flights. I’ll gladly play a few euros , or whatever, for a cappuccino. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. So it seems like a good idea to get euros from my bank before we leave, around 100-150 euros. I will remember to charge in local currency vs. my US dollars. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screwsmcernst said:

We will be staying in Switzerland for 4 days post cruise.  Should we get Swiss Francs or will Euros work?

Swiss francs. Euro might work in places near the border like Basel, Schaffhausen or Geneva, but no guarantee. And even if they accept Euro, they do often not at a favourable rate. The Swiss Franc is the local currency. Better use them.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2024 at 8:54 AM, Janie1229 said:

You might need local currency esp for small amounts

* in local markets, flea markets. Also often shops, eateries, ice cream places and the like require a minimum amount of, say, 10 Euro to use plastic.

* bathrooms. Some are staffed (but still dont take cards), but often there are coin-operated turnstiles.
* lockers. Some museums/sights require bags, rucksacks to be stored in lockers before entry. Most are free, but operated with coins as deposit.

* tips for drivers, local guides.

Farmers markets, cash/euros help out.  So many good bakery items, fruit you may not see in your homeland, entire stalls with nothing but olives, or spices.  Always fun to walk through.

Euro coins are like gold, try to hoard a few .50 and 1 euro coins.  Spouse gets very antsy if she doesn't have bathroom money.  Also nice to have if you come across a good busker.  Sometimes the music echoing down the pedestrian zone give it a special sound, some really nice saxaphone players in the never ending steps of the Alfama district.

Churches/Cathedrals you visit, they typically have a fundraiser for maintenance, with a coin box.  800 year old buildings need lots of love.

OP-  Enjoy your trip.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Janie1229 said:

Thank you - I am already feeling antsy at the thought of not having any "bathroom money" LOL. I will be sure we each have some Euro coins - how much? Get from my Chase bank before leaving?

@Janie1229 I have only used my bank in Canada to get my Euros and they don't deal in coins at all, so the lowest denomination that I can get is a 5 Euro note.

Not sure if you can get coins in advance or not where you are.  Check with the bank that you use or check with a foreign currency exchange.

How much in coins?  Depends on how often you are going to the loo!  Haha.

In my experience, most excursions offer restroom breaks that don't cost anything.  I say MOST.  

Also in my experience - the Nile for instance - our tour guide handled the payment to the restroom for the entire tour bus.

I have had many times that I have had to pay and generally is is 1 Euro or less.  Sometimes if it is a person that is taking the cash, they have change.  Sometimes however it is an automated turnstile but we have seen these accept Apple Pay and tap credit cards too.

The train station in Amsterdam had auto turnstiles that you could tap pay or insert a euro coin.

Restroom Hack: 

If you are out and about on your own - without an excursion group - and you are in a commercial area, look for the American chains like Burger King, McDonalds, and Starbucks as they generally always offer the facilities at no charge like at home.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

@Janie1229 I have only used my bank in Canada to get my Euros and they don't deal in coins at all, so the lowest denomination that I can get is a 5 Euro note.

Not sure if you can get coins in advance or not where you are.  Check with the bank that you use or check with a foreign currency exchange.

How much in coins?  Depends on how often you are going to the loo!  Haha.

In my experience, most excursions offer restroom breaks that don't cost anything.  I say MOST.  

Also in my experience - the Nile for instance - our tour guide handled the payment to the restroom for the entire tour bus.

I have had many times that I have had to pay and generally is is 1 Euro or less.  Sometimes if it is a person that is taking the cash, they have change.  Sometimes however it is an automated turnstile but we have seen these accept Apple Pay and tap credit cards too.

The train station in Amsterdam had auto turnstiles that you could tap pay or insert a euro coin.

Restroom Hack: 

If you are out and about on your own - without an excursion group - and you are in a commercial area, look for the American chains like Burger King, McDonalds, and Starbucks as they generally always offer the facilities at no charge like at home.

If all you want is bathroom money, go to an ATM, withdraw a small amount, then use the 10 or 20 euro note to buy a cheap candy item.  Do that a couple of time you will have a bunch of small change.

• Like 1