Solo Traveler Questions

jcscv

Hi everyone,  I have been on quite a few cruise lines, but this will be my first solo trip on Celebrity (on Summit). I have been on NCL for the last 5-6 cruises due to the great way they treat their solo travelers, and just the general vibe of their ships.  I have a few questions as a solo traveler that I'm hoping you can help me with. I'm a people person, and don't want to spend most of the trip by myself.

- I saw there was a solo meet the first night, but didn't see any the rest of the cruise (someone posted their dailies, but only the first few nights).  Do they only do a meet the first night?  Is there a cruise member at the meet to help break the ice?

- How do they handle solo travelers for dining?  Do they have group tables in the main dining room, or do they just put you at your own table?  I assume specialty dining is at your own table?

Any other advise as a solo traveler on Celebrity would be appreciated.

I am a solo traveler on occasion, but I just meet people around the ship rather than attend gatherings. My guess is at the first meeting, the solos themselves decide on possible future meetings.

There are no solo tables in the MDRs that I am aware of. You can agree to share, especially at breakfast and lunch. I do find that sharing is less of a thing post-COVID, although if you'd like to share, you can. (Immediately after the restart, there was no sharing.)

• Like 1

There is generally a staff member at the first solo meeting to help get things rolling.  Then it's up to the group to make plans from there.  You can request a shared table in the MDR.  Good way to meet people.  Or you may find some people in the solo meeting that you want to dine with.  Another good way to meet people is to ask people if you can sit with them in Cafe Bacio.  Sometimes it can get crowded in there and I've met some fun people that way.  Or just strike up a conversation with people in whatever bar you're in.  In my experience, cruisers are a friendly lot who are open to meeting other people.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have been on Summit the last two weeks as a solo, meet up is hosted first eve 5pm only once, then you make arrangements to meet up.  Both weeks met nice group of people and had dinner and hiking with them.  When do you go?  I am back on Summit July 12th for three weeks

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, bermuda_fm said:

I have been on Summit the last two weeks as a solo, meet up is hosted first eve 5pm only once, then you make arrangements to meet up.  Both weeks met nice group of people and had dinner and hiking with them.  When do you go?  I am back on Summit July 12th for three weeks

My cruise isn't until October. I've done all the planning, now it's the waiting game...

Honestly I haven't attended the solo meeting even though I'm a solo traveller - I just start talking to people.

Dinner I don't share a table, just preference. I normally am placed on a table for two and it's just me.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

I am a solo traveler on occasion, but I just meet people around the ship rather than attend gatherings. My guess is at the first meeting, the solos themselves decide on possible future meetings.

There are no solo tables in the MDRs that I am aware of. You can agree to share, especially at breakfast and lunch. I do find that sharing is less of a thing post-COVID, although if you'd like to share, you can. (Immediately after the restart, there was no sharing.)

There was, I was on the 5th Edge sailing after the restart (July 2021), and we shared a table for many meals.  Capt Kate was the Capt and during her Q&A, she was asked why there was no spacing out of any kind at the MDR tables and why they were stacking people on top of each other when on other cruise lines they were social distancing.  She basically answered, enjoy things being back to normal on Celebrity because cruise lines have two different avenues they can go, with test cruises that utilize social distancing or no test cruises which allows them to restart sooner.  Another negative thing about that, we were in Cozumel, we could only get off the ship if we booked a bubble tour and most options weren't appealing.  However, other cruise line ships were in port and were free to do whatever they wanted

I traveled solo on the summit, but I don’t care to eat with strangers. The first night I had a nice table by myself right next to a window and they put me at the same table every night after that.

Thanks for posting this! I'm a solo traveler on Beyond in September, first time solo and my first Celebrity ship. I was also wondering about how they handled the main dining room, so these responses are helpful.

Does anyone have insight on solos at specialty dining? I haven't purchased any yet, but I'm curious if it's handled the same way.

5 hours ago, jcscv said:

Do they only do a meet the first night?  Is there a cruise member at the meet to help break the ice?

I heard there was one on my sailing but it didn't get much action.  I travel solo as well but by the time my whale watch in Seward ended and I boarded, unpacked and showered it was dinner time so I didn't go.

5 hours ago, jcscv said:

How do they handle solo travelers for dining? 

I called Celebrity and told them I didn't mind being seated with others in the MDR.  I was at a table with a lovely couple from North Carolina and we dined together most nights.  When I ate in the buffet for lunch (breakfast I am a loner until awake) or dinner I always found someone to talk to because they have long bar like tables where you can sit with others if you choose to.

5 hours ago, jcscv said:

I assume specialty dining is at your own table?

I had prepurchased Tuscan Grille (DO NOT go there. IMO it was awful) and had intended to dine alone but ended up meeting a different couple on my Hubbard Glacier cruise and we opted to combine our reservations and dine together.  We even traded cell numbers and are still friends.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Picktails said:

Thanks for posting this! I'm a solo traveler on Beyond in September, first time solo and my first Celebrity ship. I was also wondering about how they handled the main dining room, so these responses are helpful.

Does anyone have insight on solos at specialty dining? I haven't purchased any yet, but I'm curious if it's handled the same way.

I've done specialty dining and always sat by myself

• Like 3

OP, thank you for posting this. I didn't know until now that the first, embarkation day, singles meet was hosted. I thought hosted solo gatherings were exclusive to NCL. It might be worth a second look the next time I'm on X.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Honolulu Blue said:

OP, thank you for posting this. I didn't know until now that the first, embarkation day, singles meet was hosted. I thought hosted solo gatherings were exclusive to NCL. It might be worth a second look the next time I'm on X.

Many of the mainstream lines have a solo meet up on (at least) the first night.  Often they are only “hosted “ the first night, but at least it’s a start.  I find I meet folks organically at bars or out on excursions but I prefer to dine alone so I ask for a table for one whether in the MDR or in the specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

I cruise solo, but I've always avoided the solo meet being more introverted - which honestly makes the NCL solo thing (or at least what I interpret from what I've seen/read) a nightmare scenario for me.

I did go to the LGBTQIA+ meet on the first night of my Summit cruise last summer, which I imagine is handled similar to what the solo meet would be - there was a crew member there for a few minutes to connect people (though she didn't have anything indicating it and just sort of let people gravitate to her) but then she had to go elsewhere and we were left on our own. I did make a couple of good friends from that. But it's hit or miss depending on the people on board (it was not my scene on Anthem of the Seas in February - there it was all passenger-led and really awkward determining if people were in the area for the group or not). I'd imagine the solo meet is similar.

As far as dining, I have always been under the impression that Select will generally default you to a solo table - if you want to dine with others you'd be waiting to see if anyone wanted to share a table at dinner (at breakfast I've almost always been forced to a shared table which means unless I'm staying Aqua where I *do* have my own table in Blu, I'm hitting the buffet for breakfast). At least pre-pandemic, it seemed like Fixed dining would usually default to a shared table.

Given that I'm introverted, I admit I may have missed things to connect solos. I love cruising solo on Celebrity (other than the high rate for staying solo in a cabin) and am perfectly happy. But I'm happy curling up somewhere to watch the ocean go by and/or read a book. I do think if you're used to the more (IMHO) forced interactions on NCL, it's going to be a shock that it's not that way and you're going to be more dependent on DIY and hoping there are others who want to play.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, jcscv said:

Hi everyone,  I have been on quite a few cruise lines, but this will be my first solo trip on Celebrity (on Summit). I have been on NCL for the last 5-6 cruises due to the great way they treat their solo travelers, and just the general vibe of their ships.  I have a few questions as a solo traveler that I'm hoping you can help me with. I'm a people person, and don't want to spend most of the trip by myself.

- I saw there was a solo meet the first night, but didn't see any the rest of the cruise (someone posted their dailies, but only the first few nights).  Do they only do a meet the first night?  Is there a cruise member at the meet to help break the ice?

- How do they handle solo travelers for dining?  Do they have group tables in the main dining room, or do they just put you at your own table?  I assume specialty dining is at your own table?

Any other advise as a solo traveler on Celebrity would be appreciated.

Following your post as next cruise I will be ‘semi solo’, for the first time as I will be cruising with my son and his fiancée but I have no intention of spending all my time with them. Interested in seeing what other suggestions come up. 

One thing I intend to do is join the roll call for my cruise. Not only pre cruise will I hopefully get to know some names I am hoping to find some activities/excursions I may want to join in either with couples, groups or solos. 

One specialty dining experience I have done and you may want to try is the Chefs table. This is where a group of about twelve have a galley tour then a meal together. Very social. I would add, however, that much as most people on a cruise are lovely you can end up with a Mr Know it All or Mrs Drink it All. Having enjoyed a few really nice tables we did have one like this…It wouldn’t put me off doing another one though.

An excursion I am planning on trying is called a Chefs Market tour. This includes a visit to a local market with the chef talking about local produce. This is followed by a group lunch then a special group meal back on the ship in the evening. I have read several reports on this excursion but never done it myself. The best reviews have stated a knowledgeable and interesting chef, group size of about 12, an authentic taste of the port at lunch and then a fabulous social dinner in the evening using some of the produce the chef has bought at the market. Worse reviews have stated uninteresting chefs, larger group, insipid meal at lunch and an indifferent evening meal…

The reason I mention the chefs table and chefs market are that they are, by their nature, social events. They are designed to get a group of people who don’t know each other together…I don’t think it matters if you are solo. My feeling is if I pre book these I have two ‘organised’ social meals during my cruise then if I meet up with others during the cruise I wish to dine with then all well and good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Picktails said:

Unless you request otherwise, you will be seated at your own table – usually a two-topper.

33 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

Unless you request otherwise, you will be seated at your own table – usually a two-topper.

And requesting otherwise would require someone else willing to share - assuming you're on Select - so you could be waiting a while.

Celebrity reduced my solo fare for APEX next June.  My fare is just double and saved $2600 which was that horrible surcharge.  Everyone should check their bookings.  My TA said the phone lines are very busy.  Did Celebrity finally get the message that we won’t put up with their pricing. 

• Like 2

It's just your preference for dining, whether you want to be seated with others or prefer a two-top.  I always dine solo on a two-top, and yet often it's the friendly thing to do to strike up a conversation with nearby diners. 

1 hour ago, ncgolferette said:

Celebrity reduced my solo fare for APEX next June.  My fare is just double and saved $2600 which was that horrible surcharge.  Everyone should check their bookings.  My TA said the phone lines are very busy.  Did Celebrity finally get the message that we won’t put up with their pricing. 

Did they contact your TA about it or did your TA contact them?

Thanks for all your responses.  I love cruising solo and spending the day on my own.  I'm a social person and have never really had a problem meeting people. Breakfast and lunch, on my own, no problem, but dinner, I hate sitting by myself. Hopefully, they will have group tables, if not, it sure won't stop me from eating!  😄

• Like 2

On 6/21/2024 at 5:50 AM, chemmo said:

Following your post as next cruise I will be ‘semi solo’, for the first time as I will be cruising with my son and his fiancée but I have no intention of spending all my time with them. Interested in seeing what other suggestions come up. 

One thing I intend to do is join the roll call for my cruise. Not only pre cruise will I hopefully get to know some names I am hoping to find some activities/excursions I may want to join in either with couples, groups or solos. 

One specialty dining experience I have done and you may want to try is the Chefs table. This is where a group of about twelve have a galley tour then a meal together. Very social. I would add, however, that much as most people on a cruise are lovely you can end up with a Mr Know it All or Mrs Drink it All. Having enjoyed a few really nice tables we did have one like this…It wouldn’t put me off doing another one though.

An excursion I am planning on trying is called a Chefs Market tour. This includes a visit to a local market with the chef talking about local produce. This is followed by a group lunch then a special group meal back on the ship in the evening. I have read several reports on this excursion but never done it myself. The best reviews have stated a knowledgeable and interesting chef, group size of about 12, an authentic taste of the port at lunch and then a fabulous social dinner in the evening using some of the produce the chef has bought at the market. Worse reviews have stated uninteresting chefs, larger group, insipid meal at lunch and an indifferent evening meal…

The reason I mention the chefs table and chefs market are that they are, by their nature, social events. They are designed to get a group of people who don’t know each other together…I don’t think it matters if you are solo. My feeling is if I pre book these I have two ‘organised’ social meals during my cruise then if I meet up with others during the cruise I wish to dine with then all well and good.

Hi. Do they offer Chefs Table in all Celebrity ships? I’ll be on Reflection early September. I’ve done it a couple times on Royal Caribbean and it’s been great!

1 hour ago, suizas said:

Hi. Do they offer Chefs Table in all Celebrity ships? I’ll be on Reflection early September. I’ve done it a couple times on Royal Caribbean and it’s been great!

I’m on Reflection in December. Chefs Table shows up in my cruise planner (PC, not app on phone) under “Dining” toward the bottom of the page. It is $160 right now for my cruise.

• Like 1