Welcome Aboard Offer for new to Crystal with bonus offer of free laundry

Stickman1990

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Maybe think a little more laterally - if what you claim regarding capacity is actually correct, then maybe they could run multiple shifts 24x7 to utilise what laundry capacity there is to handle one or more of those limited extensions to the laundry service

Not sure anyone’s really suggesting they need to offer everyone unlimited laundry

There are many variations on that theme eg limiting those who qualify based on say Crystal Society level, longer lead time for the return of laundry, limits on the quantity of laundry allowed per guest/suite

Will it mean I won’t cruise Crystal going forward? Of course not but it would enhance the offering in my mind

Run additional shifts with which crew?  Take additional cabins out of service to add more crew berths?

I think the challenge is the relative seniority of Crystal’s clientele.  Not that other lines don’t have a lot of loyal guests, and some of the defunct lines had similar patterns, but Crystal’s guests have generally been fewer in number with higher stats historically — which is a recipe for disaster on a service with such limited capacity.  

Using your 100 night example, I hit 100 nights on Crystal well before my 35th birthday, and still I was the third most junior Crystal cruiser at our get together last night.  So if Crystal were to add a directly comparable perk, it either wouldn’t be at a competitive rate, or would require compromises elsewhere to implement.  I’m not saying either is impossible, just that it’s more complex than is being portrayed in this thread.

I’m also not saying it’s not worth exploring, discussing or considering…. Laundry is at least 80-90% of my onboard bill — I’d LOVE it if they added the perk at some level.

Vince

• Like 4

There was at one suggestion to offer laundry to everyone by adding cost to the cruise fare and that is what I responded to.

And you can't just go 7 x 24 without adding crew.

Where is the incremental crew going to come from?  

Vince is correct on his points and that includes his point about the following that Crystal has and the number of milestone they have achieved.

In the end, it's easy to cherry pick.

How about if we pick lemons too. Instead of Crystal offering an amazing enrichment program they  match some of the ones who offer included laundry if you are at a certain milestone but match them in other areas such as less enrichment.

There are many who say Crystal was not profitable because of decisions they made and if you try to please the customer all of the time you likely will not be profitable.  

Anyway, it is what it is. This can be argued but in the end the owners will decide as they should.  

I have not taken a poll but I doubt many make their cruising decision based on whether or not laundry is included as a milestone.

And we are fortunate that Crystal has terrific guest laundry facilities while many lines do not.

In all my years of cruising Crystal I have only heard this issue come up one time by other guests.  And that is someone who when he mentioned the line who offers it, I asked him would be be willing for Crystal to offer this if Crystal cut back on the enrichment that offered to offset the cost of offering laundry? His answer was "NO".  

Happy Crystal Cruising.

Keith

• Like 1

On 7/2/2024 at 9:36 PM, Roland4 said:

To suggest that "free laundry service" improves "the luxury experience", as was suggested up-thread is bizarre.

Sorry, not bizarre at all. It's very true. I've had it on the ill fated Crystal Grand Voyage, as well as Regent and Seabourn. Placing the bag on the bed with the filled out form and getting laundered and ironed clothing back 1 or 2 days later is heaven on earth compared to lugging a laundry basket back and forth to the laundry room hoping to find a free washing machine and having to monitor the time of both the washing and drying.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, sullaRaffaello said:

Sorry, not bizarre at all. It's very true. I've had it on the ill fated Crystal Grand Voyage, as well as Regent and Seabourn. Placing the bag on the bed with the filled out form and getting laundered and ironed clothing back 1 or 2 days later is heaven on earth compared to lugging a laundry basket back and forth to the laundry room hoping to find a free washing machine and having to monitor the time of both the washing and drying.

They don’t allow you to do this for a fee? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sullaRaffaello said:

Sorry, but we have never considered clean laundry in the same league with "heaven on earth"! Many other things, perhaps, but laundry has never made that list! But hey, to each his/her own I suppose!! 😉😉

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, May B said:

They don’t allow you to do this for a fee? 

Oh good grief. We've already been through all of this, discussing the "luxury" of having it included, vs. paying several bucks for each pair of socks, for example. I see many Crystal cheerleaders who talk about how classy/ wonderful it is to have drinks included...not having to pull out your card every time a cocktail is served. When Crystal began including alcohol and other drinks about twelve years ago, I did not see the false choice being raised about how enrichment would suffer...maybe a little bit of "you're paying for it somewhere," but mostly praise. Now even the suggestion of Crystal including another benefit now trending in the luxury cruise market brings out cynical comments with the implication that if Crystal doesn't or can't offer it, it isn't a good idea, anyway.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, edgee said:

Oh good grief. We've already been through all of this, discussing the "luxury" of having it included, vs. paying several bucks for each pair of socks, for example. I see many Crystal cheerleaders who talk about how classy/ wonderful it is to have drinks included...not having to pull out your card every time a cocktail is served. When Crystal began including alcohol and other drinks about twelve years ago, I did not see the false choice being raised about how enrichment would suffer...maybe a little bit of "you're paying for it somewhere," but mostly praise. Now even the suggestion of Crystal including another benefit now trending in the luxury cruise market brings out cynical comments with the implication that if Crystal doesn't or can't offer it, it isn't a good idea, anyway.

I know your post was in response to Muriel's but here's my take.

You are incorrect.

One of the most emotional items I have ever seen people react to was the announcement of inclusive.

Many people posted on this board who terrible a decision it was.  I can't tell you how many people spoke to me on board about the same things.  What did they say?

I don't drink so why include this in my fare.

I don't drink enough to make it worth my while.

Why should I subsidize others.

You will see people passed out in the longe and in the corridor.

People will get too loud.

I could give many more examples.

In fact, when I talk about the evolution of Crystal, old and new,  and give examples of push back by guests to change this one is close to the top my list.

If I guessed the push back came from around 80% of the guests.

As to name calling, it's really not needed.

I am a fan of Crystal for sure both old and new.  Others are as well.

That does not mean I agree with each and everything they do.  Same goes for other products/companies/sport teams I am a fan of.

As to my comments the were made by the CEO.  

But many of my comments often are based on my own business experience even though it was not in the area of cruising/travel.

Keith

8 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

You are incorrect

I do not believe I was incorrect. I acknowledged that there was some grousing about the decision at the time. Main point was the inclusive move was eventually accepted and appreciated. Crystal continued to be successful and loved by guests, until other factors intervened several years later. Also, the quality of enrichment and entertainment did not suffer in any way. Thus, I was pointing what IMO is the false choice of including laundry or keeping quality enrichment.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, edgee said:

I do not believe I was incorrect. I acknowledged that there was some grousing about the decision at the time. Main point was the inclusive move was eventually accepted and appreciated. Crystal continued to be successful and loved by guests, until other factors intervened several years later. Also, the quality of enrichment and entertainment did not suffer in any way. Thus, I was pointing what IMO is the false choice of including laundry or keeping quality enrichment.

I understood what you were saying.

You said when Crystal began serving drinks that you didn't see people complaining. You are very wrong on this. The complaining went on for about a year.  I remember this very well because I can think of hundreds of people who asked me what I thought and I am talking about people on the ship. There really was not some grousing. It was amazing how many people were upset by it.  

My point is the CEO said they can't do this and related to the promotion said they just can't afford to do it.  So if we want new Crystal to be successful and make money so they stay in business they can't do everything.  

Now I am wearing my business hat with this view. You can't please all the people all the time. And it's OK for companies to differentiate themselves. It is very clear to me that new Crystal is putting even more emphasis on cuisine than even old Crystal. There is a cost for doing that. Some put emphasis on exclusions or other things. I am happy they are not a clone of one another.  

Anyway, it is what it is and people can factor in all that is offered or not offered when they make their cruising decisions.

Keith

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Sorry, but we have never considered clean laundry in the same league with "heaven on earth"! Many other things, perhaps, but laundry has never made that list! But hey, to each his/her own I suppose!! 😉😉

It's not just clean laundry. It's the lack of drudgery on the part of the passenger to get it.

Edited by sullaRaffaello
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

My point is the CEO said they can't do this and related to the promotion said they just can't afford to do it.  So if we want new Crystal to be successful and make money so they stay in business they can't do everything.  

You give up far too readily

My point is that where there is a will there’s a way. Sure it may not be possible carte blanche for every guest - but what about the options of limiting quantity, response time or status level - all or some could reduce the load on the laundry and make it possible in some way - just as they do with offers such as the one referenced in the first post

One interesting observation is that many guests who have sailed with other lines now have free laundry included through status matches or recognition of nights sailed (one line has just included sailings on the range of lines on their group making it relatively easy to qualify for free laundry) - sure it may not matter for the moment but who is prepared to state (and how are they so sure what impacts others decisions on what lines to cruise with) it will never be the straw that breaks the camels back when its decision time on what line to sail with?

No one’s going to die on a hill in a battle over free laundry but it is certainly one element that comes up in discussion and consideration when I am talking to people about luxury cruise lines - so trying to dismiss it as irrelevant or immaterial to others just doesn’t wash 😉

Edited by Stickman1990

We  have been with Crystal Cruises since1995. We  have seen a lot of changes made  by the owners.

In the beginning we had to pay for all alcohol with the exemption of the Capitan’s Welcome and Farewell on Formal nights where the ship provided all the drinks.

Also, on those nights if your assigned table was in the centre of the dining room and you had an Officer at your table, he chose all the wines and all 8 of us always selected our table in the centre, (one of our friends was a retired West Point Colonel.)

If my memory is correct, we also had to pay for bottled water to take ashore. This didn’t last for long, we never complained but others must have and it soon was removed.

I remember when Crystal removed the small sofa in the cabins and replaced it with a large Wing backed chair. The passengers let the owners know that it was a terrible exchange  

and the owners listened and returned the sofa.

Around 1997 Crystal set up a small computer room which is now the Children’s Room,

Maybe only 4 computers but it was the start of the Computer at Sea and specially trained people to help those of us “beginners”

Were there any complaints? None that we heard and NO FEES.

We thought it was marvelous enough that our group held a party in the Avenue Saloon for them.

In March 2006, we went on our first cruise on Regent Voyager from Singapore to Dubai.

This was a segment of their World Cruise.

When we went to the bar for pre -dinner drink and they informed us that there would be no charges for alcoholic drinks as they were going to become an “All Inclusive Ship”

WOW!! We never witnessed any passengers inebriated or rowdy or drunk. All of a sudden

the Lounges came alive, all welcoming new passengers. We did 3 more cruises before returning in 2010 to Crystal Symphony.

The first thing the Future Sales Consultant asked me for was my opinion of this new way for Luxury cruises:  I explained what I said above that it was great. All Inclusive, no more fees for gratuities or special coffees or specialty Restaurants as this was the was the way to go!

They also had no fees for Tours This is when I said I hoped that Crystal would never include this one.  Crystal did it the proper way and never did.

Boy, do I remember the uproar of those who where against the “All Inclusive” particularly those who did not use alcohol.

However, the owners realized that the times were changing and stood by their decision.

I believe that many of us think that if we can afford to cruise on the top Luxury Ship they can afford to pay for Laundry.

Me: would I like free laundry?    It would be nice!

Am I upset because I may have to pay for it?     Not at all!

When you feel that you are being “Nickle and Dimed” just remember how great the Computer Rooms, Wi Fi and all the  Amenities we do have and how blessed we are to be able to cruise.

To quote Keiith: ”Nothing is free. That all the Amenities are included in all cruise fares”

Last,but not least, that Crystal has the best Crew and Staff.

That is why we cruise with them.

Pat

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

All I can say is, I would not sail Crystal if drinks were not included. I’m not a big drinker, but I hate having to sign and tip for every single drink. It’s so annoying. That is a big, big deal to me. So that decision was spot on. Laundry I couldn’t care less about. To each his own

Edited by Cruise-y
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

No one’s going to die on a hill in a battle over free laundry but it is certainly one element that comes up in discussion and consideration when I am talking to people about luxury cruise lines - so trying to dismiss it as irrelevant or immaterial to others just doesn’t wash 😉

Oh please!! In the last two years we have sailed on all of the "luxury" lines. On Crystal, we (actually not ME 😁), do our own laundry because it is so easy to do. On the others we have sent it out to be done, and to be honest, if you pointed a cattle prod at me, I could not tell you what it cost, or did not cost. Why? Because in the grand scheme of things, it is a "nit"!! It is a service we avail ourselves of as and when we need it.

One thing I can tell you, after 20 years in the industry, no one has ever asked me, on ANY line, mass market, premium or luxury, and I have booked them all, about the cost of laundry services!

Frankly, I find this entire discussion more than a little ridiculous, but hey, it is CC!!! 🙂

• Like 2

We enjoyed free laundry on Seaborn, then on Explora in the last year.  I didn't think it mattered to me, but having a basket and hangars coming back, fresh and pressed was overwhelmingly pleasing.  Don't think it is a decision maker, but it now sure ranks up there for me, the laundress of this couple.

To be fair, I never ranked transitting the Panama Canal high on my "to do" list.  But having done it, and done it several times, I am a convert.

• Like 2

My thoughts:

I greatly appreciate Pat's post including her experience sailing Crystal and Regent including her observations.  Larry is also spot on.

Over the years I have had many a conversation with lots of people about luxury lines and for that matter all types of cruise lines. Only once did Crystal not providing laundry come up and that was over dinner on board Serenity with two couples and one man was adamant about it. It rarely even comes up here whereas just about everything else does.

I do accept what the CEO said.

I also fall back on my business perspective and that is you can't please all of the customers all of the time.  

Each line spends their money (well in the end it is your money) on a variety of things to provide the product they provide and as I have said often I am glad they are not a clone of one another as are some industries and products.

Crystal provides amenities that others don't and the same is true in reverse. 

Anyway, it is CC and it is life where we all have different opinions.

I love sailing Crystal as do many people I know for many reasons and am so glad that we still have Crystal and that NC has brought back most of what old Crystal was about and made it even better.

And I do have choices which are to do my own laundry or to pay to have it washed or to bring enough so we don't need to wash it or have it done.  In our case we do the former but on other luxury lines we have done the latter.  For us, this is just not a third world problem.

Finally, I want Crystal to be around and to do that they need to be profitable.

Keith

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Samurai Sago said:

If I dropped off my laundry in Vancouver, on August 21 for example, could I pick it up in San Francisco on August 24?

What do you mean about dropping it off?  

Keith

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

I greatly appreciate Pat's post including her experience sailing Crystal and Regent including her observations.  Larry is also spot on.

Now there's a surprise - could that be because they happen to agree with you?

I appreciate the posts from all members - including those who have a different view on the matter

I do accept what the CEO said.

So do I - but I take it in the context of what she was replying to - clearly if there were limitations placed on an implementation the answer may well be different

For us, this is just not a third world problem.

Those in the third world aren't worrying about their laundry...

Well as usual we all have our own views on this.

Sounds like Crystal does too.

This is where we can agree to disagree.

The good news is there are options to deal with laundry sailing with Crystal even if some prefer an option that is not provided.

So hopefully with those options  no one will have to go naked.  😃 or wear clothes that have a distinct odor. 😂

Happy Cruising.

Keith

• Haha 1

It seems I’m not alone in valuing included laundry - Crystal also do indeed see value in the included laundry service and hold it out as something to aspire to, unlike some in this thread

This from an email I recieved from them today - they describe a laundry service as a valuable benefit  

Enjoy Extra Space and Complimentary 
Laundry With Our New Upgrade Offer 

The good life just got better. Book an Aquamarine Veranda Suite on selected sailings in 2024, and we will upgrade you to one of our last remaining spacious Sapphire Veranda Suites with our new Sapphire Suite Upgrade Offer.*

You will pay the price of an Aquamarine Veranda Suite yet enjoy the benefits of a Sapphire Veranda Suite, a larger home from home on the ocean with the valuable benefit of complimentary laundry.
  • Like 1

Yep with larger suites you get some additional perks and those additional perks are not offered to everyone.  

In CP's and Junior CPs this includes in-suite specialty dining and they can't offer this ship wide and in fact couldn't offer it to those in Sapphire as they used to.

But another example of choice when one selects what accommodation they desire if that is very important to them.

• Like 2