Cheese

We will soon be on our first NCL cruise in a Haven suite and we wondering if top quality cheeses were available and properly served at room temperature.

We have usually cruised on Celebrity and their Murano restaurant often had an excellent selection served from a cheese cart (but no longer).  We mean cheeses like Morbier, Livarot, Manchego and Roquefort for examples.  Too often a cheese plate is served "fresh from the fridge" and contains simple cheeses like generic brie and swiss. 

• Haha 1

I love the cheese plate for dessert in Le Bistro, but it is, as you feared, fresh from the fridge. And nothing special in the way of flavors, but I still enjoy it. I have had better luck with the Butler, asking for some nice cheese and crackers served early enough to reach at least room temperature. Same varieties, however. 

2 hours ago, Plato123 said:

We will soon be on our first NCL cruise in a Haven suite and we wondering if top quality cheeses were available and properly served at room temperature.

No, unfortunately. Maybe Swiss Provolone Cheddar and Blue.

The buffet usually has a station with cheeses, breads and crackers, and some dried fruits.  I enjoy it, but the cheeses are fairly basic.

4 hours ago, Plato123 said:

We have usually cruised on Celebrity and their Murano restaurant often had an excellent selection served from a cheese cart (but no longer). 

I had to smile at your reference to Celebrity and cheese, as I enjoy both Celebrity and good cheese, but I still recall the following that I posted back in 2019 in a review of a cruise on the Celebrity Summit:

"[W]hile the buffet had a 'fromagerie' station, it closed down after lunch.  No cheese and crackers were available for a late afternoon snack, as they have been on other Celebrity ships.  I asked someone about this, and just got a shrug and an offer to bring me some wrapped Saltines.   (I did not make that up.)"

😂

• Haha 1

The Captain keeps a stash of Kraft American Cheese Slices for special guests. Just tell your butler the secret word, and they will bring a few to you. The secret word is "****".

Sorry, I can't post the secret word on a public page like this! DM me and I'll tell you it 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mommapadraig said:

No help for your NCL cruise but MSC yacht club has a cheese cart in the dining room each evening..

MSC Cruises is becoming a force to be reckoned with. RCCL, NCL & Carnival better be watching their backs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

MSC Cruises is becoming a force to be reckoned with. RCCL, NCL & Carnival better be watching their backs...

We have switched. We still have future cruise credit on our NCL account that will probably go unused.

• Like 1

I love cheese! All kinds of cheese! Not the footy smelling cheese, though. Or the one with maggots. But I love cheese!

In the Haven, which I've sailed a bit (but nowhere near as much as others), has nothing more than your bottom of the barrel cheeses: the cheddar's not as good as Cabot (and it's chemically-induced to turn orange), the Swiss is the best option. About as good as store brand cheese. Same with mozzarella. Blue cheese is about the standard you'd find anywhere. 

So yea, don't expect any fine cheeses. There's no full leaf (bag less) teas either, though Tea Forte pyramids are a good product.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

In the Haven, which I've sailed a bit (but nowhere near as much as others), has nothing more than your bottom of the barrel cheeses: the cheddar's not as good as Cabot (and it's chemically-induced to turn orange), the Swiss is the best option. About as good as store brand cheese. Same with mozzarella. Blue cheese is about the standard you'd find anywhere. 

So yea, don't expect any fine cheeses. There's no full leaf (bag less) teas either, though Tea Forte pyramids are a good product.

That is ridiculous! For the amount of money that people pay to be in the Haven, NCL should be offering better food and drinks! They are going to keep this up though, as long as people keep paying. We have to "vote" with our dollars!

• Like 1

I hate to break the news to everyone but its not just the Cheese that is basic on NCL its all the food.

Most people do not eat more than basic foods so they will always get away with it.

There prices for there cruises and what you get are a good deal. 

But in the last few years you can get better food on the new more expensive ships not just NCL Royal does this too on the Icon they had lobster in the buffet.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

That is ridiculous! For the amount of money that people pay to be in the Haven, NCL should be offering better food and drinks! They are going to keep this up though, as long as people keep paying. We have to "vote" with our dollars!

Better food and drink mean higher prices.

4 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

$1,000/day or so for the Haven insufficient to provide good food?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

$1,000/day or so for the Haven insufficient to provide good food?

The food in the Haven is good food.

You wanted 'better food and drink'.  

So how much more do  you want to pay to get 'better food and drink'?

And, exactly what improvements are you willing to pay more for?

14 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I guess my point was that the prices are already high enough to justify better food and drinks, in my opinion. I'm not NCL's accountant though, so maybe they are just scraping by in the Haven... but somehow I doubt it!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

I guess my point was that the prices are already high enough to justify better food and drinks, in my opinion. I'm not NCL's accountant though, so maybe they are just scraping by in the Haven... but somehow I doubt it!

Everyone wants better for less.  NCL has to make a profit or there will be no NCL.  

• Like 1

My request for a 'cheese plate' (off menu, but still) instead of a sweet dessert on Joy in Haven last year was most disappointing.

20230503_224951.thumb.jpg.7117b0ab33ff71a0098045e12e2d30f6.jpg

MSC cheese carts are the best selection I've come across at sea

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Everyone wants better for less.  NCL has to make a profit or there will be no NCL.  

I don't want better for less. I don't sail in the Haven, so I don't really care what kind of food they serve in the Haven.

This is the second or third time that you've attacked one of my responses on an NCL thread. It's it just me that you attack, or are you this rude to everyone on this website?

Edited by TheBeardedCruiser
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

On a recent Haven experience, I was returning to my cabin from the gym at around 1pm and noticed a cheese tray being delivered to an adjacent room. I thought "ooh, I want one of those" so asked my butler for a cheese tray. His response was "I don't have that today". 

So keep your expectations of the Haven low to avoid being disappointed.

• Thanks 1