Planning Europe Cruise - ?s for you experts

wolfganghowell

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

Nope didn't step on any. It's easy to step aside, like walking down a street or in a park here in North America... it's that simple.

LOL -- don't know about your neck of the woods but here on the Florida coast I'd be hard pressed to find a path of 588 donkey-poo littered stairs to walk down to get to port. 

• Haha 1

We are looking to move to the Voyager Athens-Rome in October from our current June booking.

Traveling in Europe is different than the Carib. Yes, as others have said, get there early to overcome the jet lag. If you are traveling 3,000 miles to get there spend a couple days afterwards, don’t just go from the ship to the airport and do a drive by “tour” if you haven’t been to Rome/Athens/Barcelona.

Time in ports is not just spent on a beach like the Carib, so you will be tired at the end of each day. For example the transit time from the cruise port serving Rome to the city itself is well over 90 minutes.

Don't be afraid of independent excursions. The ports are used to cruise tourists. They know their business. My favorite tour company in Italy even guaranteed to get you to your next stop if they failed to get you back in time. (Great story there!) English is spoken by a lot more people in Europe than Italian/Greek/French is spoken in America.

Haven't used RCCL’s Air program. We used NCL’s last year and thought the minor inconvenience of them selecting our air carrier and flight times was offset by the $ savings. Be sure to specify you want to arrive x number of days early, otherwise you will be booked on a same day flight.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

When you get off the tender, there are ferry boat kiosks selling tickets to sail to Oia. The same ticket also pays for the bus back (every hour). Zero line. I bought tickets for two and walked right onto the waiting boat, left in 10 minutes. If I remember correctly, it was around 30euro pp. If I also remember correctly, the ship excursion was EASILY over $100 per person.

Another vote for buying tickets to Oia when you get off the tender. It was 25 Euro pp in 2014....

In 2022 we had lots of OBC to splurge, and took the ship's transfer -- tender to Athinios port, bus up from there to Oia, free time in Oia and then bus to Fira included.

In Oia the guide gave us vouchers to the cable car and we still had to wait in line to exchange the vouchers for real tickets. 55$ pp !!

I recommend getting in line to the cable car between one hour and a half and 2 hours before "all aboard".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wolfganghowell said:

So after 30+ cruises since 2000, we are finally thinking about moving from the Caribbean we love to try Europe.  Rather than bombard my lovely travel agent with a bajillion questions right off the bat, I thought I would come to you experts.  We are looking at Voyager for October 2025.  I understand if we buy the air/sea package, we don't have to pay for the flight until final payment.  Mr Wolf is 6'5 - are we able to select our airline, departure time and class of service?  He will definitely need business class.  We do plan on going in 1-2 days early and leaving 1 day after.  I also feel for a first time that we should book excursions through the ship.  We normally book GS but I've convinced him this time that a JS is fine since the ship is more of a floating hotel than a destination - we'll be too pooped to do our usual night time antics.  Any advice or do's and don'ts are welcome.  TIA

Have you checked the deployment thread. It sounds like there are issues for sept and oct 2025 for Voyager and posters expect them to be cancelled. I would read thru the latest posts. Does it go thru the red sea or idk but might be doing some special cruises and not the ones shown. 

Read before you book as suites are non refundable. I think someone from rcl said unique itineraries  ... to replace what's shown?

Start reading here ...

This document shows Voyager on “ Unique Sailing” for 3 months September to December 2025.

i wonder if Voyager is going take passengers around South Africa from Barcelona to Brisbane. 
It would be a big deployment change. 
https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2025_2026/2025-2026_Deployment_Summary_Ship.pdf

Edited by firefly333

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Have you checked the deployment thread. It sounds like there are issues for sept and oct 2025 for Voyager and posters expect them to be cancelled. I would read thru the latest posts. Does it go thru the red sea or idk but might be doing some special cruises and not the ones shown. 

Read before you book as suites are non refundable. I think someone from rcl said unique itineraries  ... to replace what's shown?

Start reading here ...

This document shows Voyager on “ Unique Sailing” for 3 months September to December 2025.

i wonder if Voyager is going take passengers around South Africa from Barcelona to Brisbane. 
It would be a big deployment change. 
https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Deployment/2025_2026/2025-2026_Deployment_Summary_Ship.pdf

That’s exactly what I posted on page 1 

• Like 1

If you’re doing the Ravenna to Rome trip that’s a beautiful itinerary especially the first one that goes to Split.  If you are on that cruise, look into visiting the Krka Falls.  We went last year and it was absolutely beautiful (look it up on YouTube).  

Again, if doing Ravenna to Rome, you can spend a few days before and after cruise in Venice and Rome.  I can spend a week easily in either just walking about.  IMHO, you can’t go wrong with a Mediterranean cruise. 

In terms of excursions, we generally don’t use Royal, there are many better options.  Also, in many ports, it’s easy to do things on your own.

In terms of Air2Sea, they don’t work with all airlines but with most major airlines.  No issues booking business class. We like to use them if we are flying in close to sailing date or if we are leaving immediately after the cruise, as they need to ensure you get to the cruise.

We generally don’t care as much about the cabin on European cruises as they are port intensive and we don’t use the amenities on ship as much. 

For my DW, a big part of the whole thing is the planning and anticipation.  

I hope you have a great trip. 

Thank you all for the excellent tips.  We were looking at October 13th I believe Athens to Rome but haven't checked in a couple of weeks so perhaps things have changed.  I will make sure to update.  Good to know the feedback on private tours - we prefer them as well.  We may do a combo depending on logistics and distance.  Good to know about the airlines because that is a big requirement for Mr Giant. I wish we could go longer but I am still a worker bee and doing a 7 day with extra days on each side is going to be a challenge since it's a small business and I'm Number 2 on the callsheet.  We are in early stages on this.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, wolfganghowell said:

Thank you all for the excellent tips.  We were looking at October 13th I believe Athens to Rome but haven't checked in a couple of weeks so perhaps things have changed.  I will make sure to update.  Good to know the feedback on private tours - we prefer them as well.  We may do a combo depending on logistics and distance.  Good to know about the airlines because that is a big requirement for Mr Giant. I wish we could go longer but I am still a worker bee and doing a 7 day with extra days on each side is going to be a challenge since it's a small business and I'm Number 2 on the callsheet.  We are in early stages on this.

There is a may 26 2025 rome to athens. Plan B? It's a 7 day too. 

5 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

......You're going all that way to do a 7 day sailing with only a day before and after?

Not being mean or anything, however that is a true waste. Any chance you can afford 14 days so that you can do a back to back? Which dates/sailings are you looking at?

Really? There are many reasons why one can not do more than a 7 day sailing in the Med, other than being able to afford it. I just did a 7 day cruise in the Med myself and could have definitely afforded 14 days or more. It was perfect for me.

You see, I own a sailboat in Florida and it's Hurricane Season and I can't be gone more than a week starting June 1st. Other constraints are work schedules -- not everyone is retired and can go anytime and there are many more issues other than money preventing anyone from cruising 14 days or more in the Med or anywhere for that matter. 

I know you meant well by saying what you did but honestly, there are a million and one reasons besides money preventing a 14 day holiday. 

Edited by livingonthebeach
  • Haha 1

Lurking as my wife and I are researching this cruise in early fall 2025 as well.  As well as the Odyssey cruises around that time.  I do like the Voyager offerings though since I can spend time in Athens before and then Rome after.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 4:28 PM, livingonthebeach said:

Yes but the ship excursion offers a guided tour from a local person. You don't get this in self-guided tours. People do speak English in the crowded tourist areas but if you go off the beaten path you might need a translation app at the least. 

We always arrange for independent excursions in advance, often using Google and then emailing several "likely suspects" 😉 .

After some email back and forth, it's obvious whether language will be a problem, and we also get to customize things in many cases.

We just make sure to let them know what we prefer to see or do, and also ask for their suggestions in case they have some nice ideas.

GC

On 6/26/2024 at 4:28 PM, livingonthebeach said:

Yes but the ship excursion offers a guided tour from a local person. You don't get this in self-guided tours. People do speak English in the crowded tourist areas but if you go off the beaten path you might need a translation app at the least. 

Not in Greece, unless you are way up in the mountains. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2024 at 4:41 PM, livingonthebeach said:

Did you step on any donkey poo on your way down? This is the major complaint most people have on walking down. Sure if you're careful and mobile it can be done but who wants to do this in the extreme heat on most summer days in Santorini?

The only way you step on donkey poo is if you walk with your eyes closed.  

On 6/27/2024 at 5:59 AM, George C said:

As long as I am in a pod and they don’t run out of liquor I am ok , my sister is flying to Australia for next cruise not sure if I could handle that . 

As an Australian who travels to the northern hemisphere a lot I don’t get why people think it’s so hard to get here. As long as I’m in business and can sleep lying down I really don’t get jet lag. Sure I’ll be waking up a bit earlier in the mornings but that just means I can get out and about and see the sights earlier. I would much rather a 12 hour + flight than an eight or nine hour one. On those by the time the plane takes off, I get changed, and go to sleep I can only get five or so hours sleep before they start turning the lights on and serving brekky. On a longer flight I can easily get 8 hours in. This year we’ve flown Australia to Singapore then on to London, then Frankfurt Dubai and Dubai Sydney. Before that Sydney Japan return. And last November Sydney - Auckland - jfk return. The Asian legs are the shorter ones and HARD. Much prefer the longer legs. 17 hours akl to jfk was fantastic. 

• Like 1

Ephesus: Book a tour with a private company. There are several to choose from. We have been there twice, and the ship tour was fast-paced. The guide was ignorant, passing off myths and inaccurate information to those who didn't know better. (I study Biblical history and archaeology, so I was aghast.)  I assume you will go to the ancient city of Ephesus. Unless you are Roman Catholic, try to skip the House of Mary, which has little/no historical basis to it. Avoid the carpet and jewelry salesmen at the port. Just walk past and don't allow yourself to engage.

I would also use a private company in Santorini. To see how busy the port will be, check a website that tells you how many ships are in port that day.

In Naples, you can take the train to Pompeii or Herculaneum. We took the Red Sightseeing Bus Company's special bus that goes to Pompeii, and it worked out great. Plenty of time to see the site.

Don't feel like you are a cruising newbie who must take ship tours. While cruising is somewhat different in Europe, I think your experience will be superb, and you will be hooked. 

On 6/26/2024 at 12:59 PM, George C said:

As long as I am in a pod and they don’t run out of liquor I am ok , my sister is flying to Australia for next cruise not sure if I could handle that . 

Excuse my ignorance but what's a "pod"?

1 hour ago, clo said:

Excuse my ignorance but what's a "pod"?

On many planes going overseas and sometimes in Caribbean the seats in first and business class are a pod about 6 ft long with your own tv , so many people can sleep and lie flat , wife was in pod next to me . Very comfortable way to travel. 

14 hours ago, George C said:

On many planes going overseas and sometimes in Caribbean the seats in first and business class are a pod about 6 ft long with your own tv , so many people can sleep and lie flat , wife was in pod next to me . Very comfortable way to travel. 

Still not getting it? Is it like this? United Polaris business class.

United-Polaris-Seat - 1

53 minutes ago, George C said:

15 minutes ago, clo said:

Still not getting it? Is it like this? United Polaris business class.

Not quite.  The "pods" are much more separated.

Hope this link works:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&sca_esv=3dde2fcdc36845ac&rls=en&sxsrf=ADLYWIKm3saQo8YaBJFQt8kyv8RcYa-Ftg:1719853431520&q=cathay+pacific+first+class&udm=2&fbs=AEQNm0Aa4sjWe7Rqy32pFwRj0UkWd8nbOJfsBGGB5IQQO6L3J_86uWOeqwdnV0yaSF-x2jrJh7Dt5wV71ckxEPe_0GQyc61_Jkg5ZI9z4zNW20fWd52E8UO95Fa_VxoakS9zyCiAT-lUw9SqXLpdCTRHyZ2TB397CTLvedOJGxV_D_7JRzn827oY3wzpySThiJ8JihGoKqQR2_EkH-yaVIj8nLqyaR61pA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5ouemqYaHAxUnK1kFHfk0BFMQtKgLegQIFRAB&biw=1187&bih=729&dpr=2

[Yikes - that link, when pasted in, is, er, looooong!]

For us, sometimes the "pods" are actually "too private", although for a solo traveler, that would obviously be great.

Our first experience with this was on Cathay Pacific, in F (thanks to awards; the cash price of those tickets was absurd; but it wasn't very many extra points above Business class, so it was a no-brainer when available).

The pods were almost fully enclosed, although quite spacious.  The bed, when in sleeping position, was about 33 inches wide, almost like a regular twin bed.  Now, *that* was nice!

However, no one could see anyone else, except for flight attendants, of course.

To talk with DH, I had to get up and walk out of my pod and peer in the door of his... just to find out he was sleeping peacefully, out cold... so back to my pod I went.

It was The Most Comfortable Flight Ever, without question.  I would have been quite happy to stay on for the return to HKG, and then back to the USA again, truly!  It was comfy, peaceful, and luxurious. 🙂 

In part because we were so "separated", at one point I asked one of the flight attendants that "when [DH] wakes up, would you bring him the [specialty beverage] and say: The lady in seat X asked if I would bring this drink to the gentleman in seat Y".

The flight attendant cracked up, and soon, so did DH!

FUN!

But we do prefer to be "side by side" so we can at least lean forward to look over the separator or such to talk.  We still prefer to "be together"...

We joked that in the CX pod, we could almost both have slept in that bed!

On some other airlines/planes/routes, the "pods" are more like mini "rooms".  Look for Singapore airlines new Singapore Suites!

GC

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Not quite.  The "pods" are much more separated.

Hope this link works:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&sca_esv=3dde2fcdc36845ac&rls=en&sxsrf=ADLYWIKm3saQo8YaBJFQt8kyv8RcYa-Ftg:1719853431520&q=cathay+pacific+first+class&udm=2&fbs=AEQNm0Aa4sjWe7Rqy32pFwRj0UkWd8nbOJfsBGGB5IQQO6L3J_86uWOeqwdnV0yaSF-x2jrJh7Dt5wV71ckxEPe_0GQyc61_Jkg5ZI9z4zNW20fWd52E8UO95Fa_VxoakS9zyCiAT-lUw9SqXLpdCTRHyZ2TB397CTLvedOJGxV_D_7JRzn827oY3wzpySThiJ8JihGoKqQR2_EkH-yaVIj8nLqyaR61pA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi5ouemqYaHAxUnK1kFHfk0BFMQtKgLegQIFRAB&biw=1187&bih=729&dpr=2

[Yikes - that link, when pasted in, is, er, looooong!]

For us, sometimes the "pods" are actually "too private", although for a solo traveler, that would obviously be great.

Our first experience with this was on Cathay Pacific, in F (thanks to awards; the cash price of those tickets was absurd; but it wasn't very many extra points above Business class, so it was a no-brainer when available).

The pods were almost fully enclosed, although quite spacious.  The bed, when in sleeping position, was about 33 inches wide, almost like a regular twin bed.  Now, *that* was nice!

However, no one could see anyone else, except for flight attendants, of course.

To talk with DH, I had to get up and walk out of my pod and peer in the door of his... just to find out he was sleeping peacefully, out cold... so back to my pod I went.

It was The Most Comfortable Flight Ever, without question.  I would have been quite happy to stay on for the return to HKG, and then back to the USA again, truly!  It was comfy, peaceful, and luxurious. 🙂 

In part because we were so "separated", at one point I asked one of the flight attendants that "when [DH] wakes up, would you bring him the [specialty beverage] and say: The lady in seat X asked if I would bring this drink to the gentleman in seat Y".

The flight attendant cracked up, and soon, so did DH!

FUN!

But we do prefer to be "side by side" so we can at least lean forward to look over the separator or such to talk.  We still prefer to "be together"...

We joked that in the CX pod, we could almost both have slept in that bed!

On some other airlines/planes/routes, the "pods" are more like mini "rooms".  Look for Singapore airlines new Singapore Suites!

GC

Ours on American was similar but I could talk to wife next to me if we were not laying flat . 

8 minutes ago, George C said:

Ours on American was similar but I could talk to wife next to me if we were not laying flat . 

Yeah, that was the problem.

It was VERY isolated.

We couldn't even see each other.  And the walls were pretty high.  You had to get up, go out into the hallway, and then walk over to the door to peer in.  That was no imposition of course; it was the "not really being together" that we didn't like, not being able to talk spontaneously, etc.

But it was extraordinarily comfortable!

There's a footrest that can become a "companion seat" for "Dinner for Two", etc.

(JAL had that also, even though we could chat when in our regular seats.  But on JAL, that companion seat had the TV screen as a backrest, at least on that model of plane.  Someone goofed on that design... VERY uncomfortable!)

GC