Petition

If anyone is interested,the exemption for cruise ships in Australia to go between Australian ports runs out soon. That like the American PVSA or Jones act.

If you would like to support the Australian cruise industry,feel free.

https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN6353?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR3VEcoULo0dl1cxljvDsu0gkqzJVYImxFYj35fLPLthPAnVlexvBEXEr2A_aem_1gVPiVw-CFT4stjyI0HspA

13 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

If anyone is interested,the exemption for cruise ships in Australia to go between Australian ports runs out soon. That like the American PVSA or Jones act.

If you would like to support the Australian cruise industry,feel free.

https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN6353?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTAAAR3VEcoULo0dl1cxljvDsu0gkqzJVYImxFYj35fLPLthPAnVlexvBEXEr2A_aem_1gVPiVw-CFT4stjyI0HspA

I’d assume only Australian citizens can sign?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liao said:

Interesting, I am watching an Australian YouTuber discussing this on his channel right now.

The cruise line are leaving us ,I think the government is sick of free trade and globalisation.The cruise industry is just caught in the cross fire.

8 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

The cruise line are leaving us ,I think the government is sick of free trade and globalisation.The cruise industry is just caught in the cross fire.

I am going to sign it, though I do wonder if as a non Australian they will invalidate me. 

Not sure what the current exemption allows the cruise lines to do (100% foreign crew?), but it sounds like it would revert to the old system that was in place prior to 2012, where the foreign cruise ship (or any ship) would apply for a license, pay a fee, and get permission for a set number of voyages over a set time.  If I remember correctly, a percentage of crew would need to be Australian.  It's been nearly 50 years since I worked with Australian mariners, so I don't know the current state of your industry, but I could see that this return to licensing would be a boon for the home team.  Let me know some facts about the exemption and the problems this would make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Not sure what the current exemption allows the cruise lines to do (100% foreign crew?), but it sounds like it would revert to the old system that was in place prior to 2012, where the foreign cruise ship (or any ship) would apply for a license, pay a fee, and get permission for a set number of voyages over a set time.  If I remember correctly, a percentage of crew would need to be Australian.  It's been nearly 50 years since I worked with Australian mariners, so I don't know the current state of your industry, but I could see that this return to licensing would be a boon for the home team.  Let me know some facts about the exemption and the problems this would make.

I suspect that this would make the cruises to Australia more expensive ...

Simuliar to the NCL ship that cruises Hawaii that has an exemption.

5 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

I suspect that this would make the cruises to Australia more expensive ...

Simuliar to the NCL ship that cruises Hawaii that has an exemption.

Your point is correct, but some details are not.  The NCL ship does not have "an exemption" to the PVSA, it meets the letter of the law, just as an Australian flag cruise ship would meet the letter of the Coastal Trading Act in Australia. It is foreign flag ships that need an exemption.  If I remember correctly from when I was working down under, only a portion of the crew would need to be Australian, unlike the POA which needs to be fully US citizens or resident aliens, and I don't think the foreign crew on Australian cruises needed to be paid Australian wages (not sure).

But, if it created more Australian jobs, it would benefit the economy more than allowing the exempted foreign flag ships to corner the market.

33 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Your point is correct, but some details are not.  The NCL ship does not have "an exemption" to the PVSA, it meets the letter of the law, just as an Australian flag cruise ship would meet the letter of the Coastal Trading Act in Australia. It is foreign flag ships that need an exemption.  If I remember correctly from when I was working down under, only a portion of the crew would need to be Australian, unlike the POA which needs to be fully US citizens or resident aliens, and I don't think the foreign crew on Australian cruises needed to be paid Australian wages (not sure).

But, if it created more Australian jobs, it would benefit the economy more than allowing the exempted foreign flag ships to corner the market.

I doubt that I would pay 3 times the current cost for an Australian cruise.  I would do a land vacation.

I suppose that it matters somewhat if Australia would have to import foreigners into the country to fill those jobs...

And considering Austrailia doesnt have ‘foreign ports’ that are close by as the US does with Canada/Mexico and so on to use, this could be a very big issue.

We just completed an Around NZ cruise out of Sydney and stayed aboard for a S Australia Wine cruise down to Tasmania and back….fantastic. But there aren’t any foreign ports that are within 2 days cruising. That would be too bad because that cruise was a great one….as was NZ.

Den

48 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And considering Austrailia doesnt have ‘foreign ports’ that are close by as the US does with Canada/Mexico and so on to use, this could be a very big issue.

We just completed an Around NZ cruise out of Sydney and stayed aboard for a S Australia Wine cruise down to Tasmania and back….fantastic. But there aren’t any foreign ports that are within 2 days cruising. That would be too bad because that cruise was a great one….as was NZ.

Den

Its not as if they are going to ban cruises altogether, if the exemptions ended.  The foreign flag ships were allowed to make cruises around Oz before, they just have to apply for, and receive a license to do so, and meet certain conditions.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The ship was completed in Germany and congress gave NCL an exemption from the US built requirement of the PVSA.

3 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

The ship was completed in Germany and congress gave NCL an exemption from the US built requirement of the PVSA.

I'm not convinced, and many at NCL are not either, that POA does not meet the US built requirement, since the ship does not need to be 100% US built.  The USCG has ruled that to be considered US built, only the "major components of the hull and superstructure" be US built, and to be considered part of the "hull" it must be part of the watertight envelope of the ship (i.e. the superstructure of a cruise ship is not watertight).  Nothing that is not part of the hull needs to be US made (all equipment including the engines and propulsion).  POA's hull was completed in the US, and I think this would have qualified as US built, if anyone had pushed the issue.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm not convinced, and many at NCL are not either, that POA does not meet the US built requirement, since the ship does not need to be 100% US built.  The USCG has ruled that to be considered US built, only the "major components of the hull and superstructure" be US built, and to be considered part of the "hull" it must be part of the watertight envelope of the ship (i.e. the superstructure of a cruise ship is not watertight).  Nothing that is not part of the hull needs to be US made (all equipment including the engines and propulsion).  POA's hull was completed in the US, and I think this would have qualified as US built, if anyone had pushed the issue.

Maybe, maybe not, regardless it was given an exemption.