Question about credit card choices

We'll soon be joining the Nautica at Stockholm for our voyage of the Baltic and North Sea states.  Have you had good experience with particular credit cards in this region?  We are hoping to use Discover and American Express in addition to Visa and Master Card.  Your experience will provide valuable insights.  Thank you!

35 minutes ago, riversights said:

We'll soon be joining the Nautica at Stockholm for our voyage of the Baltic and North Sea states.  Have you had good experience with particular credit cards in this region?  We are hoping to use Discover and American Express in addition to Visa and Master Card.  Your experience will provide valuable insights.  Thank you!

Not from personal experience, but I think that you will find Discover and American Express generally not accepted in Europe. Visa and Mastercard are accepted in most places. 

• Like 1

Yes, Visa and Mastercard.

Suggest contactless card/ chip:pin. 
Many small vendor terminals cannot read magnetic stribe. 
ApplePay on your mobile is widely accepted. 

Thank you for all of these knowledgeable replies.  You are the cognoscenti.  We are informed and made wiser!  These details made seem trivial to frequent cruisers, but being occasional voyagers, we must ask the question.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, riversights said:

Thank you for all of these knowledgeable replies.  You are the cognoscenti.  We are informed and made wiser!  These details made seem trivial to frequent cruisers, but being occasional voyagers, we must ask the question.

If you don’t have one and have time to apply, a credit card with no foreign transaction fees is a really good idea for international travel. 

Posted (edited)

We use Wise - a multi currency debit card, works through the Visa system, gives us great flexibility.  DH and I have separate accounts, his “holds” the money and stays in the safe on the ship.  We transfer the daily “spending money” to my card which we take ashore (limiting any potential loss to what is on my card only).  Very easy to transfer funds between accounts, using the phone if we need more when we are out.  

https://wise.com 

Edited by Sarnia 432

1 hour ago, riversights said:

Do you know of any cards without these foreign transaction fees?  (I'm wondering about cards with no annual fee.)  Thank you for pitching in on this.

I’m in Canada so can’t advise, but there should be some fee-free cards available where you are. 

I don't think anyone takes Discover. American Express is often not accepted, but larger museums for instance may. Visa and Master Card are generally accepted

And many places will not take cash including the local currency!

I was in Oslo for 4 days, then a 2 week cruise all in Norway except I disembarked in Copenhagen yesterday. I am on the second of 4 days here. I have not changed any money, nor have I had any need for cash anywhere. 

On 6/28/2024 at 11:56 PM, riversights said:

Do you know of any cards without these foreign transaction fees?  (I'm wondering about cards with no annual fee.)  Thank you for pitching in on this.

Capital One offers cards with no foreign transaction fees. 

47 minutes ago, Joanne G. said:

Capital One offers cards with no foreign transaction fees. 

Many issuers do. We have a Chase card and an USAA card that don't charge any foreign transaction fees.

No annual fee is an entirely different proposition, much rarer, but our USAA card doesn't charge an annual fee.

• 1 month later...
On 6/30/2024 at 2:46 PM, Thunderbird19 said:

I believe Costco credit card also has no forgein transaction fee.

Correct, we don't have one but our neighbors use their Costco card all the time.  We have used both USAA and Well Fargo debit cards loaded into our Apple wallet with no issue.  AMEX only seems to be taken at major hotels.  

one other credit card travel tip... we usually make sure I only carry 1 or 2 cards and my wife carries different 1 or 2 cards.  We  make sure we don't carry a card the other one has.  In this way if we lose a bag or wallet, one of us will have a card that has not been lost or compromised.

11 hours ago, CCJack said:

one other credit card travel tip... we usually make sure I only carry 1 or 2 cards and my wife carries different 1 or 2 cards.  We  make sure we don't carry a card the other one has.  In this way if we lose a bag or wallet, one of us will have a card that has not been lost or compromised.

I do the same although to be truthful I just spent 3 weeks in Europe and I don't think I ever pulled out a card (well maybe once or twice in for a sit down meal).  I paid with my watch or my phone everywhere.  

• 3 weeks later...

Went to London, Paris, and Norway with the expectation that American Express would not be widely accepted there. However, my experience was not that. I don't think a single place in London or Paris did not accept Amex. In Norway I would say approximately 1 in 5 did not accept American Express. 

Bring a Visa/Mastercard as a backup but you may find Amex is accepted in more places than you think.