Eden Restaurant good but overpriced

IDL

Yikes!!  
Did they up the Eden price AGAIN?

I had an $85 per person price in my notes.

But back in September 2023 I got in on a 25% off flash sale.  At the time it was regular $60 on sale for $44.99.  So, about $108 with gratuity for the two of us.  I guess this will be our one and only dinner in Eden.😐

1 minute ago, Stem to Stern said:

Yikes!!  
Did they up the Eden price AGAIN?

I had an $85 per person price in my notes.

But back in September 2023 I got in on a 25% off flash sale.  At the time it was regular $60 on sale for $44.99.  So, about $108 with gratuity for the two of us.  I guess this will be our one and only dinner in Eden.😐

Yes, there have been at least 2 price increases. Prices have gone from the mid 50's which included the tip to $85 with an additional 20%.  $102 per person is expensive, especially when you consider how good the food is in the 4 mdr.

Agree it's pricey.  I believe we paid $79 pp plus the grats for Eden on Edge earlier this month.  That price was a result of a discount in the cruise planner.  By contrast, we dined in a local restaurant in town on Friday night and paid $130 (before tip) and this included a bottle of wine.  Worth it or not, I guess I just expect prices to be higher on a self-contained cruise ship.

7 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Agree it's pricey.  I believe we paid $79 pp plus the grats for Eden on Edge earlier this month.  That price was a result of a discount in the cruise planner.  By contrast, we dined in a local restaurant in town on Friday night and paid $130 (before tip) and this included a bottle of wine.  Worth it or not, I guess I just expect prices to be higher on a self-contained cruise ship.

When you consider that you are forgoing a meal that was already included in your cruise fare it would be logical that the price of the specialty restaurant would be less than a comparable restaurant meal on land. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, keesar said:

$102 per person is expensive, especially when you consider how good the food is in the 4 mdr.

Very!  I am eagerly anticipating our first go at the four-main-dining-room concept.  We are only planning on the one visit to speciality dining during the cruise.

12 minutes ago, IDL said:

When you consider that you are forgoing a meal that was already included in your cruise fare it would be logical that the price of the specialty restaurant would be less than a comparable restaurant meal on land. 

Much more overhead involved on a meal at sea than on land…

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

Much more overhead involved on a meal at sea than on land…

Don’t think that is necessarily true as the cruise line enjoys the economies of scale via buying food in bulk and again the cruise fare is already “subsidizing” a portion of the costs as people forgo the included food options when choosing an extra fee specialty restaurant. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Liao said:

While I think Eden is very good, I don’t think the meal itself is $100/pp good.  That said, I think the beautiful view is included in the price.

So should I request a discount if dining after sunset?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, IDL said:

Was on the Apex last week and we ate one meal at Eden which was good but overpriced IMO at $100 per head w/o drinks.  Obviously to each their own but one and done for me. 

Agreed. I was keen to do it - but didn't bother at the offering price. Even their discounted price was still not worth it.

• Like 1

We ate in Eden a few years ago on Apex and it was great.  Couldn't wait to eat there again.  So in May, we were on the Ascent and we ate in Eden, and it wasn't as good.  My crab cake was good, but that was about it.  Probably won't eat there again.  I agree, it is pricey....

On the Ascent, there were good discounts available.  It could have been related to the last price increase and cruisers were not booking specialty restaurants.  However, on the Beyond, names were put on a wait list just to get a day and time.  Go figure.   Supply and demand...

12 minutes ago, keesar said:

On the Ascent, there were good discounts available.  It could have been related to the last price increase and cruisers were not booking specialty restaurants.  However, on the Beyond, names were put on a wait list just to get a day and time.  Go figure.   Supply and demand...

With cruise lines trying to stay afloat (no pun attended) post the Covid shutdown period the pricing models are obviously whatever the traffic will bear vs. a pure incremental cost + a standard profit margin approach.   As Eden currently has cache and buzz factor they keep increasing the price disapportionetly to their actual cost. 

We just returned from Ascent and I agree, $86 plus 20% is too much even though the food and service are very good. Which is why we didn´t book although we had a lot of OBC to burn.
Rather went to Rooftop Grill and enjoyed sitting outside.

Although we didn´t book Eden I checked on the app. It was sold out every evening of the cruise. So from a cruise line`s point of view they are doing the right thing. as long as people book and come, they can test and raise the charge.

As a shareholder I am pretty happy, as a passenger it´s a different thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Cruising89143 said:

Both Celebrity and Royal have ridiculous specialty dining prices but in most cases they continue to book up which means the prices will not come down. IMHO the quality has dropped while the prices continue to climb. 

On Virgin Atlantic every dining venue is included.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1