Refundable OBC

ping1

OBC that comes from a TA is almost always refundable as is OBC you purchase.

OBC from Celebrity or Royal Caribbean Shareholder OBC is not refundable.

Posted (edited)

Refundable OBC is third party added (from you, family, friends, TA's) and not from the cruise lines.  Cruise line (and other issued through them) is non-refundable.

As @jelayne suggests, TA OBC usually is refundable.  But it may be refunded back to them first and then up to them to issue any of it back to you.  Credit card issued OBC is refundable back to your credit card.

If you should have both types issued, the cruise lines will place any on board (or pre-cruise planner) purchases against the non-refundable OBC first to delete that amount first, and then against the refundable OBC. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, ping1 said:

How does one "buy" OBC?

Can you cash it out at Guest Services? (for example, to spend in port)

Thank you.

You can not directly withdraw Non-Refundable Credit but you can withdraw Refundable Credit at the end of the cruise or else it goes back as a credit on your credit card.   Many ships I've been on will not let you withdraw it until the last day before the cruise ends.

Not sure why you would buy OBC - But it is available under Gifts.   The reason for my quandary is that you can just spend what you want on your key card and it will be billed directly to your Credit Card at the end of the cruise.

Edited by Jim_Iain

Some people are buying OBC now with AMEX cards because many of those cards have a $100 statement credit if you spend $500 with Celebrity.   The rub here is what happens to the statement credit if yoo buy the OBC and then ask to have it refunded at the end of the trip, if is refundable at all.

22 minutes ago, Mr. Click said:

Some people are buying OBC now with AMEX cards because many of those cards have a $100 statement credit if you spend $500 with Celebrity.   The rub here is what happens to the statement credit if yoo buy the OBC and then ask to have it refunded at the end of the trip, if is refundable at all.

We used an AMEX offer to pay on a cruise that we subsequently cancelled.  We were expecting the net amount ($400 per card) as a refund.  We got the full amount ($500 per card). I don't know if they could differentiate between payment on a cruise balance or buying OBC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ping1 said:

How does one "buy" OBC?

Can you cash it out at Guest Services? (for example, to spend in port)

Thank you.

Refundable OBC is purchased by a third party (yourself, if you want cash on your account to offset purchases made to your on board account) most commonly as gifts from friends or family members, and also by travel agents as part of a booking perk.  It is treated the same as non-refundable OBC in that is is used to offset on board purchases.  It cannot be cashed out for port of call spending, and any residual amount can only be credited back to you at the end of the cruise.

11 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

It cannot be cashed out for port of call spending, and any residual amount can only be credited back to you at the end of the cruise.

I have always been able to go to Guest Service on the last night and receive our unused refundable OBC in cash.  Last cruise, in May, I received $1130 in cash 

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I have always been able to go to Guest Service on the last night and receive our unused refundable OBC in cash.

Agree, as have we.  And that is the case with most refundable OBC. I was only saying that with some TA issued refundable OBC I have heard that the credit may go back to them first and that points-based credit card issued OBC is issued back to your card.  Perhaps that is not the case with all cards.

Not able to cash out before last day of the cruise, so no, to use for ports. We've been cashing out refundable at Guest Services  for several years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Agree, as have we.  And that is the case with most refundable OBC. I was only saying that with some TA issued refundable OBC I have heard that the credit may go back to them first and that points-based credit card issued OBC is issued back to your card.  Perhaps that is not the case with all cards.

Unused OBC never goes back to a travel agency. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

Unused OBC never goes back to a travel agency. 

I agree that refundable OBC shouldn't, and I have never experienced that. But I have heard on these threads that it can. That's why I said that it may go back to them.  And honestly that is my source of information, so take it for what its worth.