Smart casual

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Rubbish.

If luggage fails to arrive [in time], consideration should be expected and given to the lack of clothes, formal or not.

There isn't a cat in hell's chance I'd have add a carry on suit carrier to any flight baggage and I speak as one who has max allowance on any flights we took/take.

I disagree. You know the luggage could be lost. You should have consideration for the people who are paying for the experience and prepared to comply. Or cruise elsewhere. 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, DRG-Mobile said:

I disagree. You know the luggage could be lost. You should have consideration for the people who are paying for the experience and prepared to comply. Or cruise elsewhere. 

Don't make me laugh.

I have no expectation of luggage being lost and if my bags went missing, as a Cunard booked flight, their lookout, not mine and I expect them to 'look after  us'.

and as for 'paying for the experience', as one who books Q1 or Q2, I know very well what 'paying for the experience' entails.

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, DRG-Mobile said:

I really hope on my ucoming cruise that, irrespective of whether my luggate gets lost (!!), I am not sat next to somebody with your attitude.

If I took your stance literally, I'd be better off not putting anything in the hold and carrying-on 3 or 4 suitcases just to ensure I don't offend you!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Rubbish.

If luggage fails to arrive [in time], consideration should be expected and given to the lack of clothes, formal or not.

There isn't a cat in hell's chance I'd have add a carry on suit carrier to any flight baggage and I speak as one who has max allowance on any flights we took/take.

It's very all well saying that whilst you are sitting behind the comfort of your lap top  - Just wait until you have the experience of the  'no luggage arrival on a 35 day cruise' and  all the hassle trying to receive it - Not to mention the feeling of not being part of the sense of occasion after 6pm in pubic venues and restaurant.      

I had no luggage for 10 days of a 16 day Baltic Cruise in QUEEN VICTORIA in May 2023... and cut no slack with the dress code. Instead, the Grill concierge provided me a free formal rental and took me down to the "slop chest" where I borrowed a suit and other kit from some former cruise staff bloke who was, happily, exactly my size. I was chuffed at age 66 being able to fit into the kit belonging to some 25 year old, too!  But I flew in black shoes and jacket and tie, too. Always do. 

They might have a special dress code exception for poor souls who fly United Airlines, at least.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

It's very all well saying that whilst you are sitting behind the comfort of your lap top  - Just wait until you have the experience of the  'no luggage arrival on a 35 day cruise' and  all the hassle trying to receive it - Not to mention the feeling of not being part of the sense of occasion after 6pm in pubic venues and restaurant.      

Surely Cunard would try and help? And surely for 35 days one could claim a lot of stuff off the airline. Tedious, but better than wandering around in the same clothes for ages. 

5 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

If I happened to be on a 35 day cruise with  bag/s missing, Cunard, which booked the flight which mislaid my bags would have 'something' to answer for and would be expected to sort 'things' for me.

I would have no issue being in any area of the ship 'inconsiderately attired' if the Cunard flight had lost my bag/s but would expect to be 'suitably attired' by the shops onboard even if we had to pay for it ourselves and argue with the company, later.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I had no luggage for 10 days of a 16 day Baltic Cruise in QUEEN VICTORIA in May 2023... and cut no slack with the dress code. Instead, the Grill concierge provided me a free formal rental and took me down to the "slop chest" where I borrowed a suit and other kit from some former cruise staff bloke who was, happily, exactly my size. I was chuffed at age 66 being able to fit into the kit belonging to some 25 year old, too!  But I flew in black shoes and jacket and tie, too. Always do. 

They might have a special dress code exception for poor souls who fly United Airlines, at least.

United Airlines.

Their alternative name begins with U, but ends in double s. They gave me a 'free' first [or it might have been business in days gone by] class ticket after a disastrous flight experience.

I binned it.

Edited by Victoria2
added business
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

United Airlines.

Their alternative name begins with U, but ends in double s. They gave me a 'free' first class ticket after a disastrous flight experience.

I binned it.

I won't use United ever again either. Different reason though. Flying from Chicago to Heathrow in 2018 I specifically noted allergic to shellfish on my forms and everything. They then proceeded to serve me a dinner on flight which (little did I know) had Oyster Sauce in it. By the time I touched down at Heathrow I was having a full blown reaction and had to be treated onsite by NHS (thank the Lord they had Epinephrine right there. United likewise offered perks to get me to fly again - nope...

We mainly fly with hand luggage only. So, we take max sized backpacks plus under seat holdalls on our flights to Heathrow along with a much larger checked luggage allowance than we could use in 15 nights away. That lets me carry two tuxes on board and we pack some gowns and anything of my wife’s that is irreplaceable in the backpacks and all the photo and tech gear in a holdall.

However, I’m very conscious that we are very lucky to be so fit and healthy that we can easily carry that volume of luggage. Many passengers have disabilities (sometimes not obvious), or don’t do the exercise or gym work we put in and might not be strong enough.

I doubt that anyone would have any complaints about our outfits if we were to lose our checked bags, unless they object to folk dressing beyond the specified level on smart attire nights. But I don’t think we’d be very happy to be seated anywhere near someone that publicly expressed adverse opinions about those unlucky enough to lose their luggage, or about anyone else.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Rubbish.

There isn't a cat in hell's chance I'd have added a carry on suit carrier to any flight baggage and I speak as one who has max allowance on any flights we took/will take.

Thank you Victoria2.  

Travelling is about maximising my comfort. The place for clothes is primarily in the hold.  I've never made use of my 96kg allowance, but would if I  have to. The thought of lugging  a suit carrier , through security , to the lounge,  then the long walk to a plane ,  then back through immigration,  baggage hall , then the transfer to ship  finnally through check-in and security once again. No way. 

2 hours ago, DRG-Mobile said:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DRG-Mobile said:

. Or cruise elsewhere. 

I'll continue with my chosen lines , Cunard ( QG ) , Saga , Seabourne,  Ritz Carlton Yacht club,  so you know which other lines and on Cunard which dinning room to avoid. 

2 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Sorry not I to rental or slop chest,  would buy what I could on board or in shops. Minimal to see me over, no pressure. Expect consideration. 

On 7/7/2024 at 3:09 PM, Shingles Mark said:

Would a nice jacket with jeans and smart shoes be ok for the non formal nights ?

Wow maybe time to  lighten up fellows. 🙂

Enjoy your voyage Shingles Mark. I'm sure you will look fine. 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Sorry not I to rental or slop chest,  would buy what I could on board or in shops. Minimal to see me over, no pressure. Expect consideration. 

You can expect what you wish. My posting was merely relating my experience which was a nightmare caused by United Airlines and wonderfully, generously and efficiently made good (on many levels, not just clothes) by Cunard Line.  Ashore and afloat, too. 

Hopefully not to be repeated but if you are a gentleman, size 42 jacket and 34 waist, you could embark QUEEN VICTORIA with literally the clothes on your back and still dress like one aboard. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Hopefully not to be repeated but if you are a gentleman, size 42 jacket and 34 waist, you could embark QUEEN VICTORIA with literally the clothes on your back and still dress like one aboard. 

That's taking the fashion sharing economy to another level.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, DRG-Mobile said:

Seriously?

You carry clothes in your hand luggage to cover every possible situation onboard, on the off chance that your luggage is lost?

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, i presume black tuxedo jackets are the norm, but do you occasionally see white jackets or other colours?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, vsbc said:

Out of curiosity, i presume black tuxedo jackets are the norm, but do you occasionally see white jackets or other colours?

White/ivory/cream are probably next most popular to black, very much a minority though. I saw a couple of German men in matching slate grey tux suits that looked really good. I've not seen a suitable version for sale anywhere. I don't think I saw any navy, but have on videos of formal evenings on other lines. I bought a suitable one in Rome recently.

I wear my ivory as a change, but only after our last trip I became aware of the custom for only wearing in tropics or US Summer season. Next June should be fine but I may leave that one behind in September 2026.

I've seen photos posted here of other colours, red/burgundy I think was one of them.

Edited by D&N

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Seriously?

You carry clothes in your hand luggage to cover every possible situation onboard, on the off chance that your luggage is lost?

I carry a selection of what I would need for a few days in case the luggage doesn’t arrive. So if I am bringing a tux, a suit, and a couple of jackets, a few pairs of khakis, shorts, etc, I’ll have at least one pair of nice pants, a jacket, a couple of pairs of shorts, couple of bathing suits etc. So if my luggage does get lost, I’m not sitting in a dining room in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt looking like somebody who doesn’t know how to travel.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DRG-Mobile said:

sitting in a dining room in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt looking like somebody who doesn’t know how to travel.

This appears to be de rigueur for Formal nights on some cruise lines.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

This appears to be de rigueur for Formal nights on some cruise lines.

Not the ones I usually want to be on. Indeed, it’s one of the reasons our first Holland America was probably our last and why we were going to try Celebrity but heard bad reviews from folks who have taken them recently and now won’t.

People should understand what they are buying into and act accordingly. Or choose something else. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, DRG-Mobile said:

People should understand what they are buying into and act accordingly. Or choose something else. 

For people who deliberately don't pack the right clothes,  your comment is appropriate. 

alternatively people who have had the rare and unfortunate ocurance of lost or  late luggage. No one should be expected to lug a huge carry on plus a suit carrier.  They haven't chosen to flaunt rules, and for all you know aren't capable of carrying all that hand luggage. 

Just lighten  up and enjoy the cruise

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 2

Don't you just love the debate when discussing Cunard's evening dress suggestions.

I would dearly love to see some CC members f2f [I was lucky enough to meet exlondoner in May]  and see how sartorially better dressed they are from ourselves.

I feel like a peasant sometimes when reading some posts. 😄

• Like 1