Private tables for two

Kay S

This is a picture of the Enchanted; it is nearly identical to the seating arrangement we had on the Majestic.  These little tables are very close together.  This arrangement is common on the Royal class ships.  I remember some free-standing two-tops on some of the Grand class ships, but I don't know if they still exist.  It might be possible to get a better situation than this, but if you are holding out for a two-top, expect this.

Anyone have a picture of the two-tops in the Coral MDR?  I remember those as private tables at the back near the window, but I can't find a photo.

Amalfi-restaurant-1170x878.jpg

• Like 2

Kay - we had Table #171 in the Provence DR on Coral in February 2020 just prior to the shutdown.

I don’t have a photo but this was a freestanding two top all the way at the back wall in a little alcove as you described.

The surrounding area was a mix of large and small tables all with good separation, not the endless banquette style that we had on Ruby and Caribbean.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Kay S said:

This is a picture of the Enchanted; it is nearly identical to the seating arrangement we had on the Majestic.  These little tables are very close together.  This arrangement is common on the Royal class ships.  I remember some free-standing two-tops on some of the Grand class ships, but I don't know if they still exist.  It might be possible to get a better situation than this, but if you are holding out for a two-top, expect this.

Anyone have a picture of the two-tops in the Coral MDR?  I remember those as private tables at the back near the window, but I can't find a photo.

Amalfi-restaurant-1170x878.jpg

We've always been given private two-top tables on the Royal class ships, and avoid sitting here. 

42 minutes ago, foodsvcmgr said:

Kay - we had Table #171 in the Provence DR on Coral in February 2020 just prior to the shutdown.

I don’t have a photo but this was a freestanding two top all the way at the back wall in a little alcove as you described.

The surrounding area was a mix of large and small tables all with good separation, not the endless banquette style that we had on Ruby and Caribbean.

Yes, a very nice table.  Private.  The people on either side of you couldn't eavesdrop.  🙂

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

We've always been given private two-top tables on the Royal class ships, and avoid sitting here. 

Lucky you!

We've sat at the type of table in the photo 

We have met some really nice people

Doing so.

I'm sure you will get what you are looking for once on board.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, waltd said:

We've sat at the type of table in the photo 

We have met some really nice people

Doing so.

Yes, we did talk with the people around us.  It was almost like having a shared table.  I get the impression, though, that most people looking for two-tops don't want to get into a "sharing" situation.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Kay S said:

Yes, we did talk with the people around us.  It was almost like having a shared table.  I get the impression, though, that most people looking for two-tops don't want to get into a "sharing" situation.

Very true.

Although it's difficult not to be rude, I still don't know why some people choose a table for 2 & proceed to start up conversations with everyone within earshot of them. 

Sit at large table & talk all night long if that's what you're looking for. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 555 said:

Very true.

Although it's difficult not to be rude, I still don't know why some people choose a table for 2 & proceed to start up conversations with everyone within earshot of them. 

Just speaking for myself. I like being able to eat at my speed (which is fast) and not be held up by slow eaters. At a table in the picture by Kay S that's possible. Last cruise (Royal Princess) i was seated in the center of Concerto DR (deck 6 midship) and the 2 tops were spread out. 

• Like 10

43 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Last cruise (Royal Princess) i was seated in the center of Concerto DR (deck 6 midship) and the 2 tops were spread out. 

We always shoot for those tables in the "dance floor" area when at all possible. People tend to not like to sit there as they don't have a view of the ocean when eating. 

• Like 2

We were lucky on our last cruise, and got a free-standing two-top...  Not on a communal bench.

My DH is more adamant about this.

This wasn't a sold out cruise, and we were able to get our table for the next nights.

I think we would have better luck with this if we planned to eat in the MDR on the first night, show up early, were able to get a separate two-top, and then request to be there for later nights.  But, we are not excited about the embarkation night menu that we are seeing lately.  So, we are booking Specialty for the first night.

3 hours ago, 555 said:

Very true.

I love these table types.  When you sit down or others sit down some people say hi and talk and others don’t. We met some very nice people this way , including having dinner or ongoing friendship later. If you don’t like to have conversation, they are far enough where that is possible. . 

• Thanks 1

As a solo cruiser lately, I find these bench tables that are so close together very awkward.

I don’t mind eating alone and actually would prefer it. I sense that some people feel sorry for me dining alone and while very nice, try and include me into their conversations. 
I prefer a 2 top a little more out of the way.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, beltsbear said:

. If you don’t like to have conversation, they are far enough where that is possible. . 

Well... it's about a foot away.   In the middle of the row, there would be people on both sides of you.  My concern had been that those people next to you would "eavesdrop" on your conversation, whether they wanted to or not. On the flip side, you might be subjected to unwanted details about Aunt Janet's bunion surgery.  I guess dinner would not be the place to discuss anything too personal. 😄

Lol

I do remember our last 

Cruise on the Sapphire.  we like to eat early.

Not everyone came in at the same time. We would be half way through dinner before someone would occupy the next table.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tonit964 said:

As a solo cruiser lately, I find these bench tables that are so close together very awkward.

I don’t mind eating alone and actually would prefer it. I sense that some people feel sorry for me dining alone and while very nice, try and include me into their conversations. 
I prefer a 2 top a little more out of the way.

THIS.

On Discovery Princess we had a table for two in the back of the venue kind of tucked behind the Chef's Table area. It was by itself and we had excellent service. Of course, without a diagram of the venue I can't tell you what the table number was but it wasn't one of those side, by side, by side, by side situations.

1 minute ago, Thrak said:

On Discovery Princess we had a table for two in the back of the venue kind of tucked behind the Chef's Table area. 

Those desirable tables do exist, but they seem to get snapped up first.  I didn't intend to give the impression that only the banquette row tables are the only option.  However, there are a lot of them, and people now choosing private tables for two on the app should at least be aware of that.  The Royal class ships' version is a little better than the Grand class.  I remember a banquette row on The Caribbean Princess where the tables were even closer together.  The server had to pull the table out from the bench to give the person room to move in and sit down.  

I don't know, but I wonder if they will modify things to work with the new dining scheme.  More two-tops added.  Who knows.

We had the beach style on Sapphire we talked with some lovely people. My husband isn't one to chat but even he enjoyed the people around us, so guess it depends. We also had lunch sitting next to grumpy people. My favorite was on the Ruby though it was against a wall tucked in an alcove sort of area. We actually requested this the next two time on this ship. Wonder what we will end up with in October on the Grand. It will be fun regardless.

My husband and I are both extremely introverted and find conversing with strangers, especially extroverts, exhausting. As a professional musician with highly trained ears, I can hear every conversation in detail from several tables away which can be amusing but, again, exhausting. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a suite on our last cruise and enjoyed several dinners in our cabin. That was perfect for us. I love that everyone is different and enjoy things other than our preferred quiet way of traveling.

• Like 4

There seems to be Coral late trad seating for private tables available right now (according to arizonaperson's thread) so those really lovely tables near the back of the dining room (with windows) might be open.  Those are the nicest two-tops in the fleet, IMO.  Some lucky couples might strike while the iron is hot!