Best Pizza at Sea About to Get Better as Princess Announces New Partnership with World Pizza Champion Chef Tony Gemig

10 hours ago, marden1970 said:

I'll take a New York slice over a celebrity pizza any day.

3 minutes ago, loge23 said:

Long-time Princess customer but I have to agree.

Yippee for NY pizza.  Moved to west coast and gave up pizza.

• Like 1

Having cruised Carnival, MSC and Princess, the pizza in Alfredo’s has always been good. MSC pizza was also good. Carnival…never could get to the pizza station to get pizza, lines were too long and I didn’t want to pay extra to have it delivered. Who has the best pizza at sea? Well, from someone who lives in SC and has limited options for pizza, I am not the best to judge. We do have a few places that say they serve NY style pizza and they are good. All I ask on a ship is for fresh, hot thin crust pizza with good cheese and toppings. MSC Seashore in 10 days, we will check out the pizza. 

8 hours ago, voljeep said:

we've got Premier on SUN P in October.  Hopefully we can get into Alfredo's, but it's a lot of food - who eats a whole pie?  Maybe they'll bring back the veal pockets - just the perfect amount for me.  Also looking forward to O'Malley's

Agreed. My wife and I share a pizza at Alfredo's and is is plenty. We don't want a pizza each. Trying to eat the pre fixe meal is a crazy amount of food to us.

Getting ready to pop a Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza in my oven for dinner. Beats the heck out of any pizza I've had on Lido deck by a large margin.

• Like 2

In 2025 we sail back-to-back (well, I guess side-to-side) on MSC Seaside and then Star Princess.  Sounds like it will be my mission to sample both pizzas and determine for myself who is #1!

• Like 5

12 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

you would get almost unanimous agreement that MSC currently has the best pizza at sea....

I’ll be the weirdo. While I really like sailing MSC I found their pizza to be… pretty good. But not anything deserving of “best at sea.” 

Posted (edited)

Oooh!  Exciting!  We had a Slice House open near us last year and it's delicious!

It would be nice to have great pizza fleetwide. 

The last two ships we've been on, the pizza has gone downhill. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, wcook said:

I’ll be the weirdo. While I really like sailing MSC I found their pizza to be… pretty good. But not anything deserving of “best at sea.” 

Who would you say has the best pizza at sea then?

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Agreed. My wife and I share a pizza at Alfredo's and is is plenty. We don't want a pizza each. Trying to eat the pre fixe meal is a crazy amount of food to us.

Getting ready to pop a Papa Murphy's take and bake pizza in my oven for dinner. Beats the heck out of any pizza I've had on Lido deck by a large margin.

yeah, our local Papa Murphy's closed, even before 'rona ... used to go there a couple of times a month - sometimes even have them cut the pie in half, and freeze half - but not as good then

Seems a little silly in the grand scheme, but this gets me a little more excited for our October Cruise.  Blue Cheese and Fig?  yes please

Our pizza rankings:  Virgin~=Princess>Carnival>>Celebrity>Royal

We've only had Slice Pizza before (was a daily stop for sure) and are excited to try Gigi's..especially with the new offerings...just might give us a clear winner.

Celebrity and Royal were a big step down from the other..with Royal only edible with the drink package after midnight

On 7/9/2024 at 10:37 AM, JamieLogical said:

Wait, Princess thinks they have the "best pizza at sea" currently? I think you would get almost unanimous agreement that MSC currently has the best pizza at sea....

As a pizza authority....Princess had good pizza....but nothing compared to MSC.  However, I'm an old pizza purist.  Just gimme cheese, tomato sauce and mushrooms, pepperoni....   Just the thought of "fig pizza" makes me gag.

(Sad commentary....come home from a cruise on Friday only to find my local pizza guy closed shop).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MsTabbyKats said:

As a pizza authority....Princess had good pizza....but nothing compared to MSC.  However, I'm an old pizza purist.  Just gimme cheese, tomato sauce and mushrooms, pepperoni....   Just the thought of "fig pizza" makes me gag.

(Sad commentary....come home from a cruise on Friday only to find my local pizza guy closed shop).

I agree, just skip the mushrooms.  We watch some shows that highlight different places.  Some put a salad, mac & cheese or a fried egg on top. Yuck!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

I'll definitely have his pizza next time we're on board. We used to go to his first restaurant when we lived in the SF Bay Area. Great pizza, but I understand he's gotten even better over the years.

We’ve also eaten at many of Tony’s restaurants throughout the SF Bay Area over the last 3 decades.  Wow .. best pizza ever!  There was even one here in town where we live and that was our go to pizza place before they closed down.  

I will be looking forward to him partnering with Princess.  Great move, IMO!  

• Like 7

On 7/9/2024 at 6:38 PM, JamieLogical said:

I have had pizza on other Celebrity ships and it didn't hold a candle to MSC. Maybe the pizza on the Apex specifically is better somehow? Have you had MSC pizza?

Haven’t tried MSC cruises - never really fancied them as the ships are too glitzy for my liking.

7 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Who would you say has the best pizza at sea then?

Considering where this thread is, I’m going to say Princess 🙂 But in reality, nobody has stood out enough to be called “best at sea.” The only pizza that has really stood out is RCI… easily worst at sea. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wcook said:

Considering where this thread is, I’m going to say Princess 🙂 But in reality, nobody has stood out enough to be called “best at sea.” The only pizza that has really stood out is RCI… easily worst at sea. 

I am not a foodie and I’ve only been on RCCL 3 times and can honestly say, the food, aside from their specialty restaurants, wasn’t impressive at all.  

The best restaurant I’ve ever been to anywhere, land or sea, is The Catch by Rudi. 
I would also have to say that Tony Gemignani’s piazza restaurants have had the best pizza I’ve ever encountered.  
As far as Gigi’s or Alfredo’s, the best minestrone ever was on the Discovery.  I don’t know what they did with the soup but it was so wonderful!  We’d skip dinner just for that soup.  

6 hours ago, BTfan said:

Seems a little silly in the grand scheme, but this gets me a little more excited for our October Cruise.  Blue Cheese and Fig?  yes please

Fig and blue cheese pizza … I am in, too!  
I also love pesto and pineapple with extra Parmesan cheese .. throw extra mushrooms and artichokes hearts on there as well.  I couldn’t be any happier with this decision.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We’ve also eaten at many of Tony’s restaurants throughout the SF Bay Area over the last 3 decades.  Wow .. best pizza ever!  There was even one here in town where we live and that was our go to pizza place before they closed down.  

I will be looking forward to him partnering with Princess.  Great move, IMO!  

Pyzano's - yep we ate there a bunch of time when we lived in Castro Valley. It was his brother Frank's restaurant, and it never recovered after Tony left.

33 minutes ago, shellbeachjim said:

Pyzano's - yep we ate there a bunch of time when we lived in Castro Valley. It was his brother Frank's restaurant, and it never recovered after Tony left.

that’s right .. and there may have been another restaurant in town where there was some scuttlebutt happening.  

The pizza on Princess ships is good; however, Holland America (and their pizza is good too) has a pizza option that is the best and Princess should adopt it: Build Your Own Pizza....

Holland America New York Deli & Pizza Menu 

Holland-America-NY-Deli-Pizzai-2022.thumb.webp.bb0a3620dd061becfbfdb09d7f9f5efe.webp

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Typical Princess, spend time, resources and money for pizza, but not IT.  They can't get thier app to work, but you can get a pizza.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rio20 said:

Typical Princess, spend time, resources and money for pizza, but not IT.  They can't get thier app to work, but you can get a pizza.

UH----which generates revenue? or saves revenue?

• Like 2